Is Belly Dancing considered risque??

NewDancer

Hi Ladies,

I don't know if I'm posting in the correct area, if not please accept my apologies. Since I've taken up BD I have been spending time on the forum and looking around at other sites and I don't know if its just me but I've gotten the impression that Belly Dancing considered risque? I'll admit it might be a bit, but its tasteful. I've watched some videos online and I remember when my mom danced, she did show some skin and on occasion her bras showed some cleavage. I kind of remember when she would tell women she BD it raised a few eye brows. My feeling is honey if you got the body and it gives you a GREAT workout and self confidence than GO GIRL!!

Geoff

Mohana

I think maybe it seems that way because many of the dancers here have had experiences where they have been treated as if belly dance were wrong or risque. I even have had "discussions" lately with some of my friends about how they need not act like there is a sleazy connotation in our form of dance. Being relatively new to belly dance, I guess I feel especially invested in having people understand it.

Greek Bonfire

It's erroneously considered risque. They are wrong - we are right. So keep on dancing and leave this mistaken notion to those who don't know better. ;)

Mohana

I wonder why it is that when I tell women I belly dance they always feel the need to help me justify my belly dancing by saying, "Oh I heard that it's a great workout!" Would one say that to a ballerina? Or would they say how beautiful and graceful ballet is? Just a thought to ponder...

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Nope! not by anyone I know:D Actually I have never encountered anyone here in Aussie or NZ who thought BD was risque or burlesque-y. I only ever had one person pose a dumb question in the form of one word - 'why?' I just said 'why not' They just nodded and just said they thought they'd ask. So I told this silly woman that I loved BD, it was joyous, fun, celebratory & I have made some great friends and I don't have to go to a sweaty-smelly gym, I also get to wear some glittery, blingy, sparkly costumes so what more could a girl want, she walked away smiling!

It might be 'risky' because it is very addictive - but that is all:lol:
~Mosaic

Kashmir

Nope! not by anyone I know:D Actually I have never encountered anyone here in Aussie or NZ who thought BD was risque or burlesque-y.
Lucky you. I've had some very red faced people I worked with when I mentioned my hobby. With attempts at ediucation, this did not go.

I've also had a similar attitude in a number of TV & radio interviews. In one case when no-one would go along with it, they filmed us dancing and added a sleazy voiceover implying it was what we thought :(

That said, no, belly dance isn't sleazy - but some sleazy people belly dance.

Shanazel

It's erroneously considered risque. They are wrong - we are right. So keep on dancing and leave this mistaken notion to those who don't know better. ;)

Alas, Fotia, my dear, such erroneous notions can have remarkable and deleterious effects.

I've been teaching BD in local public schools off and on since 1980. Classes have been enthusiastically received by everyone from teachers to students and classroom moms. Last month a single protest by one uneducated and blindly prejudiced parent who assumed BD is risque led to BD being banned from being taught in our local school district. I was not allowed to present the program to the school board nor any other group to demonstrate the wholesomeness of the dance. My employer was told if she persisted in protesting the ban that it might result in her company not being asked to present any programs in the schools at all and that would destroy her business.

In thirty-four years of performing and teaching I have never experienced such complete stupidity about belly dance. Never. Now, because of a single person, I am effectively prevented from teaching a very beautiful dance to what would be the third generation of public school students to pass through my workshops.

It sucks.

Imeera

I don't think so, I mean I think it is considered risque in the west because we are not used to it, it must be just because we are not used to it and see the moves as risque, but thats a whole different subject to pull appart on a different thread! But where it is most used as a traditional dance which it is 99% of the time, it isn't at all risque. It can certainly be turned into anything, including risque! But that is usually considered bad in the belly dance world is turned into a sexual (even slightly) dance in public. Also remember all dances can be changed into a risque dance. Generally belly dance is simply a fun dance and anyone can do it. You don't have to show any skin at all, Baladi and others is traditionally danced pretty much covered completely. Why is showing your body and lots of clevage in a skimpy bikini or clothes fine but wearing a bra and belt for belly dance is bad? So no, belly dance is certainly not risque!

Starmouth

It's also risky to your wallet, but in a good way. :cool:

Never a truer phrase was spoken. :lol:

EDIT: Its funny, this has just reminded me of something that happened a few weeks ago. I was talking to once of my friends who just happens to come from Syria, and he had absolutely zero reaction to the fact that I belly dance. Just "Oh right, great." But when I told him I also did salsa and tried to demonstrate a bit for him, and a little bit of bachata he was absolutely shocked. "You do this in public? With strangers?" To him, the closeness of dancing with a stranger in public was more risque than belly dance could ever be! It just made me realise that what is considered risque in one culture can be perfectly acceptable and even commonplace in another.

Last edited:

khanjar

Let's face it, the West seems obsessed with sleaze, it, it seems seeks it everywhere, when in fact the sleaze they see is just a reflection on their own lack of understanding and acceptance of other people's thoughts and actions.

BDanceGirl

There are some people who dont know about Belly Dance who think its sleazy, but my opinion is once they have seen it done probably they quickly change their mind

Greek Bonfire

Alas, Fotia, my dear, such erroneous notions can have remarkable and deleterious effects.

I've been teaching BD in local public schools off and on since 1980. Classes have been enthusiastically received by everyone from teachers to students and classroom moms. Last month a single protest by one uneducated and blindly prejudiced parent who assumed BD is risque led to BD being banned from being taught in our local school district. I was not allowed to present the program to the school board nor any other group to demonstrate the wholesomeness of the dance. My employer was told if she persisted in protesting the ban that it might result in her company not being asked to present any programs in the schools at all and that would destroy her business.

In thirty-four years of performing and teaching I have never experienced such complete stupidity about belly dance. Never. Now, because of a single person, I am effectively prevented from teaching a very beautiful dance to what would be the third generation of public school students to pass through my workshops.

It sucks.

Boy, does it ever! What does she have, the "goods" on everybody in the school? Maybe she needs a few lessons to unwind her! <JK>

What's really enlightening is that this week a PRIEST recently learned that I am a bellydancer. So, as usual, I start explaining what the dance is really all about, and he kept saying, "yes, I know - it's a beautiful dance." I'm not used to someone being that enlightened for a change.

Ariadne

Let's face it, the West seems obsessed with sleaze, it, it seems seeks it everywhere, when in fact the sleaze they see is just a reflection on their own lack of understanding and acceptance of other people's thoughts and actions.

Really? I assumed it was a reflection of pop culture and because of what Kashmir said.
...and do all kinds of other dances too. Sleaze is well ingrained in certain parts of western popular culture, BD just happens to be "exotic" as well.

That said I will agree with Kashmir... and Morocco, who said pretty much the same thing. I think I am in good company. :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Lucky you. I've had some very red faced people I worked with when I mentioned my hobby. With attempts at ediucation, this did not go.

I've also had a similar attitude in a number of TV & radio interviews. In one case when no-one would go along with it, they filmed us dancing and added a sleazy voiceover implying it was what we thought :(

Oh dear that is awful- Stupid TV people! Maybe I scare folk so they dare not say anything - I mean who would say a grandmother is 'risque' - mad maybe:lol: But even when with my younger colleagues I have never encountered the negative. I hope what you encountered was some years ago and not recent.
~Mosaic

Sirène

If you've been teaching the program on and off since 1980 the school board must have been aware of it. I'm rather surprised no one thought to bring up the fact that it's been taught over the last thirty years without problem. Amazing the havoc one narrow-minded idiot can wreak. :mad:

EDIT: Its funny, this has just reminded me of something that happened a few weeks ago. I was talking to once of my friends who just happens to come from Syria, and he had absolutely zero reaction to the fact that I belly dance. Just "Oh right, great." But when I told him I also did salsa and tried to demonstrate a bit for him, and a little bit of bachata he was absolutely shocked. "You do this in public? With strangers?" To him, the closeness of dancing with a stranger in public was more risque than belly dance could ever be! It just made me realise that what is considered risque in one culture can be perfectly acceptable and even commonplace in another.

This is such a good point.

Imeera

This is exactly what I meant :D Where as if it was opposite, he would have been shocked at belly dance but fine with salsa! Don't you love culture differences :D

Belly Love

I think showing of the belly (even though it's not always done, but what the gp may typically think of when it comes to bd) is partially what gives it the feeling of being risque to some. In most cultures, the stomach isn't shown except for at the beach. It's not the same as breasts, but it's still a body part that's not commonly seen. Add to that a bra top with cleavage and hip movements that men find sexy...

I don't think most people (in my culture anyway) think it's slutty, they just aren't used to it and our culture is so sex driven, that people may instantly think perverted thoughts out of habit, then, projecting those thoughts as though the dancer is doing something risque.

Yame

In my experience, I have only ever seen belly dance portrayed as "risqué" on TV
and heard about it from other belly dancers complaining on forums.

I've never had a problem with my family, friends, or co-workers knowing that I belly dance. I don't go around telling everyone because I mostly keep to myself, but eventually, people find out. No one has ever reacted in a way that would indicate they think belly dance is risqué, most respect what I do as an art even if it's not their thing.