Is it okay to mix and match dance styles and costume styles?

RayaDancer

maybe im off topic here, but this type of outfit is typically associated with turkish "gypsy" romani dance, maybe the skirt could be part of a flamenco outfit. i have never seen this type of outfit used for egyptian dance, which is what i thought you said was the type of dance you did? (hence all my posts being about egyptian costume styling.) maybe im confused, sorry if i am.

Greek Bonfire

maybe im off topic here, but this type of outfit is typically associated with turkish "gypsy" romani dance, maybe the skirt could be part of a flamenco outfit. i have never seen this type of outfit used for egyptian dance, which is what i thought you said was the type of dance you did? (hence all my posts being about egyptian costume styling.) maybe im confused, sorry if i am.

I agree with this one. I think if you are referring to the Egyptian "everyday dancer" look, you might be referring more to Cairo style. They do wear a skirt that may be somewhat full but not like this. Also, they have been known to wear skirts that are a little straighter, but the main thing is the coin belt or just a string of coins that give it the "peasant" look. I had an Egyptian Cairo dancer teach us this very style and he called it Cairo Street Dancing.

jenc

I think tha coin belts are a western thing - but many of us use this for a cheap addition of bling without having to expose our bodies or bear the expense of a full costume. A coin belt says bellydancer to a westerner and this is OK for hobby dancing.

Max West

Hmm, quite a topic going on here. I'm really only familiar with Turkish and Egyptian style belly dance - from what I've learned through my research, Turkish belly dancing outfits tend to be more revealing while Egyptian covers more up (since I want the women I draw to be more visually appealing, I draw them in the more revealing Turkish outfits). I've also been seeing American and fusion styles that like wearing lycra.

Does anyone have some sort of definitive reference on what kind of outfits are worn with the different styles of belly dancing?

Aniseteph

Salome has a very good article about it: Belly Dance Costumes

The super skimpy Turkish ones ones look extremely dated these days, IMO. Costume skimpiness has nothing to do with the appeal of a dancer, IMHO, but perhaps some of us here are not your target audience?