Jewel?

taheya

Hi Ranya, I have also heard Raqia Hassan refer to a movement as the horse. It is really interesting to hear some dancers break down the movements which probably when they are dancing flow into one!
I have a few Raqia videos and when she demonstrates her choreography it is flowing movements- it does not appear like a string of moves. Yet alot of the dancers she has demonstrating her choreos end up looking like they are doing a succession of moves. The natural, individual reaction to the music is not there, so something is lost almost.

RanyaRenee

It is really interesting to hear some dancers break down the movements which probably when they are dancing flow into one!
I have a few Raqia videos and when she demonstrates her choreography it is flowing movements- it does not appear like a string of moves. Yet alot of the dancers she has demonstrating her choreos end up looking like they are doing a succession of moves. The natural, individual reaction to the music is not there, so something is lost almost.

You hit the nail on the head, Taheya! I agree that is what is missing from a lot of non-Egyptians' dance, even if they are great technicians. I think it is a conceptual difference in movement vocabulary between a Western approach and a natural Egyptian style that then leads to a slightly but perceptibly different look.

A few years ago I worked intensively with Mahmoud Reda over a few weeks(brilliant, and such a great, patient teacher), and even though I'd studied with him before, this time I focused on just the basic building blocks of his style first. What he started with his troupe was different from the traditional Egyptian approach to dance--he created a set of movement vocabulary in modules of technique, so he could get a standardized look from dancers in his company. So, a particular step-hip combination would have hand patterns that would naturally accompany the feet, making choreography creation easier, in that a company of dancers could get the whole from assembling those pieces. All that juicy individuality of movements that is present in beledi style dance (read: native, non-western-influenced dance) is not so desirable when you want a standard company look. It's so interesting to me to compare these opposing threads in Egyptian dance.... hope this has not veered too much off topic!!!! :)

jenc

Yes and in the UK we mostly learn "Egyptian dance" as troupe dancing. Opportunity and desire to solo seems to be rare. So it doesn't seem like what I think of when I think of egyptian dance