Lost in my dance journey, not sure where to go!

ana_bat

Greetings everyone!

I feel like I'm in strange territory right now and I thought I'd share with y'all just to get some perspective/advice/feedback.

So I've got 4 years learning mostly FCBD tribal, some BSBD and dabbling in my second favorite style of American Oriental, and I want to do a fusion of mostly Tribal with personal interpretations of its various movements/concepts. I know that everyone has their sort of opinion of what Tribal Fusion is, but to me this is what TF is; using one of the most well known lineages of Tribal as your base and incorporating other relevant elements to your dance that you are well informed of.

Here's the problem. When I talk about my vision of the sort of TF I want to do, everyone I meet wants to do the snakey pop/lock/wave thing without any respect to include any form of bellydance at all (in my not so humble opinion). I'm not interested in taking TF classes because they're all doing that and as far as I'm concerned I feel no belly dance when I do it. What do you do when you feel like there is no one who shares your vision?

I just feel stuck. I know for myself I'll go ahead and certify either FC or BS in a year or two, but I would love to work with a group and create what I see in my mind. And I feel that teaching at this point in my life would be irresponsible without a proper certification.

If you were in my shoes what would you suggest I do?

Shanazel

It's your vision- follow it without expecting anyone to hold your hand along the way. If you don't, your vision may end up giving way to that of someone else and then where will you be? ;)

If you have developed a particular group choreography, ask a few dance friends to learn the dance so you can see what it looks like in life.

ana_bat

You're right Shanazel, I can't expect handholding. I guess its hard to sort of branch off and do something that's NOT FC Tribal. It might just be my troupe because we're a sister studio, but there's such a taboo about doing something different. And I feel like I get trapped in this bubble of feeling a sort of pressure that I gotta stick with my troupe, and you can't do something non FC because it's not allowed. Well I guess its time to put on the big girl panties!

teela

You know if people did not follow their visions there would not be Black Sheep type tribal which I believe evolved from FC. There would not be the tribal fusion which developed from regular tribal. So if you have a vision, go ahead and pursue it. We all march to our own drummer.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
You're right Shanazel, I can't expect handholding. I guess its hard to sort of branch off and do something that's NOT FC Tribal. It might just be my troupe because we're a sister studio, but there's such a taboo about doing something different. And I feel like I get trapped in this bubble of feeling a sort of pressure that I gotta stick with my troupe, and you can't do something non FC because it's not allowed. Well I guess its time to put on the big girl panties!
You can still be with your current troupe doing whatever is set out for the troupe if you want to be with them & follow your dream doing what is in your heart. Go for it!
~Mosaic

Salome

Administrator
Do it, do it, do it. Studying Oriental will build texture, depth, understanding, meaning, ability... it will create opportunities, it will sprout new threads of inspiration to follow as you explore and evolve in your TF vision.

Shanazel

Well I guess its time to put on the big girl panties!

Next door to you in Wyoming we say, "Cowgirl up!" Are you, by chance, in Rapid City? I heard there is a strong tribal dance culture there. You should break away this weekend and come to Casper- Salome will be teaching workshops here. :D

ana_bat

Next door to you in Wyoming we say, "Cowgirl up!" Are you, by chance, in Rapid City? I heard there is a strong tribal dance culture there. You should break away this weekend and come to Casper- Salome will be teaching workshops here. :D

Actually by pure goof on my part it's San Diego. WOOPS! Bit of a dunderhead I am sometimes!

ana_bat

Do it, do it, do it. Studying Oriental will build texture, depth, understanding, meaning, ability... it will create opportunities, it will sprout new threads of inspiration to follow as you explore and evolve in your TF vision.

Gosh I'd love to with a real teacher! Where I am its pretty much dominated with Egyptian style. Which is beautiful but not a good fit for me. There is one person in my city who teaches what I believe is American Oriental but she's a little too far and out of budget. But when I have the money I can't wait!

ana_bat

Aww nothing to be sorry about! Hehe I'm the one who abbreviated the city in the "state" area. Man I wish we had more of a tribal scene where I'm at. It's very very small. Tribal fusion seems to be doing well cause we got a BDSS who's based here, and what I'd consider to be a very active scene here for the more straight up belly dance. Now that I think of it a lot of the dancers here have won pretty big titles at competitions... :shok: