mix 'n' match

Samantha

Hi, Im really new to belly dancing and Im trying to learn about it. Ive been looking at different countries styles of costumes and was wondering if you should wear a costume all from one country or is it ok to mix and match like a Turkish style skirt and an Egyptian top?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm of the opposite opinion, where I would say be consistent in your costuming and music match, but these days it's REALLY hard to say what's Turkish or Egyptian in STYLE, since they're both wearing the same things.

Turkish-made costuming usually relies more on sequins for the flash. Egyptian-made costumes rely more on glass beads. The difference is reflected in the difference in the price. Turkish goods are USUALLY a little cheaper in price, but are just as nicely made as Egyptian ones.

If you follow fashion, you'll notice Egyptian costumers following their own fashion trends as well. It's really just like ready-to-wear in the US.

Costume dealers can call their costumes whatever they want. A Turkish skirt may not mean it's actually Turkish in any way. Sometimes split skirts or 3 panel skirts are referred to as "Turkish" and sometimes petal skirts are "Turkish." Descriptions like that are kind of meaningless.

The keyhole underbust vest is traditionally considered "Turkish," because it's based on a design from Ottoman fashion, but these days if you find someone wearing it, they're most likely American Cabaret style, or it's a deliberate addition to hide a dancer's back or bra straps.

The only costuming choice that will make you immediately apparant as a newbie or a tribal dancer is the Indian Choli top. These are not worn in Oriental dance at all, but Tribal dancers will wear them, often with long tiered skirts or those flared hip-hugger pants.

Be warned if you buy Indian-made "costumes" -- The Indian designers now seem to have a very distorted idea of what bellydance is, and their "costume" designs reflect this. Many of these outfits are more appropriate for Carnivale than for bellydance. And almost everything I've seen has been VERY cheaply made, with poor sewing and ever poorer closures.

Indian manufacturers don't throw away waste fabric -- so fabric that is torn or marked on still gets used -- and sold. I've had a couple of students buy Indian skirts online and they were devasted to see thick black ink markings all over the fabric, and one had obvious rips and tears along the grain.

BUT, that said -- you're new to bellydance so you won't need a costume for a while! If you want a nice practice outfit, try a choli top and a long full skirt with a hip wrap. Or a wrap-around tie-top with big "harem pant" style pantaloons. The choli and Melodia flare pant is a modern look, and it's easy to dance in. Play around with your class attire but don't worry about costuming for a long while :)

Hi, Im really new to belly dancing and Im trying to learn about it. Ive been looking at different countries styles of costumes and was wondering if you should wear a costume all from one country or is it ok to mix and match like a Turkish style skirt and an Egyptian top?

janaki

Hi Samantha,

Unless you are doing a folklore style dance, these days there is not a great deal of distinction between different syles of costumes!!! In folklore style, costuming is restrictive. For oriental style it is very flexible.

Egypian style costumes are mostly two piece body hugging and are high waisted. They look very elegant!!! For turkish style a circular skirt with beaded bra belt set would look good. Lebanese costumes also looks similar to turkish with less leg and body shown!!!

These days when it comes to costumes anything and everything goes!!!! Especially in Egypt. My suggestions to you is a simple gold beaded bra belt set with one or two layer circular skirt and a matching will give you a good start. You can do all styles of dances *not all folklore) with it. You can wear the smae bra belt set with different style of skirts (A line, mermaid etc.,) to give you different looks.

It is ok to mix and match as long as they go together well. Yes, it is important that you should like the costume and feel comfortable in it.

BTW, I am a costume designer and image consultant. I also desing costumes for stage shows and our dance troupe. If you need any hlep pls send me a message.

Cheers
Janaki

Samantha

Thanks for the help.
I had my first belly dance lesson on Monday, I loved it, but I have so much to learn I dont know where to start.
Would you all recognise what country the costume was by looking at it?
Also, I dont understand what is meant by cabaret and tribal and other types mentioned, so if anyone could explain that to me I would be really grateful

gisela

Super Moderator
Just take it slow and a bit at a time. The most important thing is the joy of the dance. It's great that you already after your first lesson are so aware of how much there is to learn but you don't HAVE to know it all at once.

I always looked at oriental dance as a relationship ;) . Don't stress it because it's too valuable to fill with all kinds of musts too early. Take your time to develop a deep and intense love for the dance and when your ready to go to the "next level" or need to deepen the knowledge then start to find out things and research the culture and stuff because you can't stand NOT to know more.

I waited a long time (maybe too long) to get a proffessional costume because I didn't want the dancing to be all about performing and prestige and looking good. The dance was (is) my emotional vent and where I can just be and enjoy and feel and I didn´t want to stress that with all kinds of achievements. But that's just me, I'm sometimes a bit slow. I think it's cool you want to learn a lot so fast.
Your question about tribal, cabaret and such should be fairly easy to find answers to in old threads so look around in this forum. And of course YouTube is a standard answer.
Or just ask your teacher next lesson, there are probably other beginners in your class that also would benefit from learning a bit about the styles of the dance.
Good luck and enjoy the dance!:dance:
gisela

Last edited:
I got the outfit almost immediatly, it's nothing expensive, but it helps me to practise and feel the part. It's so hard disengaging for me and it helps.

Some people will be able to tell instantly, others won't. But I say so long as you're not preforming it doesn't matter. It will make you feel the part and for me that helps me dance. I still don't know what stly mine is other than it was the cheapest one in the store. And the store is actually a gothic store.