More control over shimmies

Thanks Mouse and Gwinity, I thought that's what you meant! I learned that step from Cassandra Shore and she called it the Samiha. Keti Sharif demonstrates the Egyptian Walk in her videos. Since she's from your neck of the woods, I guess that's the terminology used Down Under!
Yeah you can put a shimmy over it,and I've walked backwards with it too.
Thanks for the info!
Yasmine

Rebecca_

Just imagine if everyone in the world was a bellydancer: Everyone would be doing their chest isolations while sitting on the bus, people would egyptian walk around the grocery store while pushing shopping carts... Oh what fun!:)

Mouse

Thanks Mouse and Gwinity, I thought that's what you meant! I learned that step from Cassandra Shore and she called it the Samiha. Keti Sharif demonstrates the Egyptian Walk in her videos. Since she's from your neck of the woods, I guess that's the terminology used Down Under!
Yeah you can put a shimmy over it,and I've walked backwards with it too.
Thanks for the info!
Yasmine

yeah Keti's version with the hip down movement is the one I know. Samiha sounds much more exotic though :D

milky

Just imagine if everyone in the world was a bellydancer: Everyone would be doing their chest isolations while sitting on the bus, people would egyptian walk around the grocery store while pushing shopping carts... Oh what fun!:)

Haha...What a wonderful world~~~:D

milky

I have no problem with bellyroll when just standing still, but not that smoothly
when sitting on a chair:(

Loubna

Hi Loubna, Well your English is much better than my Dutch!

Hey guys I keep seeing the term Egyptian Walk, what is it? Can someone describe it? I think I know what it is,but by another name.
Yasmine

hi Yasmine

the egyptian walk is when you walk, you move your hips fast. Like walking and do the hipslift on each hip.

Egyptian Walk etc.

Hi Loubna, nice vid. Actually those movements remind me of the Ghawazee hip moves. Obviuosly there are two separate moves that share the same name. I guess in the UK and Australia, the Egyptian walk is a more accented move, whereas in the Netherlands it appears to be a quicker hip move. Interesting!:dance:
Yasmine

miss_shimmy

hi

Just imagine if everyone in the world was a bellydancer: Everyone would be doing their chest isolations while sitting on the bus, people would egyptian walk around the grocery store while pushing shopping carts... Oh what fun

that would be great!!when i was out on the bus the other day,i could imagine each person in a bellydance out fit doing chest lifts and such...he he he

when i am dancing,so often i wonder how many othrs in the world are dancing too:)

Rebecca_

Miss shimmy, that's a really neat idea! With so many dancers all over the world dancing at differet times of day, it's very unlikely that any of us are truly dancing alone.

Kharmine

I have found that vertical figure-eight hip circles are easy to do when I'm going up stairs! Bit harder when going down, oddly.

Also was having trouble with a good prolonged shimmy until I realized that an old problem was cropping up again. My ballet teacher in college noticed that my knees hyper-extend, which gives what she called the 'banana leg" look. That is, when I am standing very straight, no bend in the knees, they are actually a bit concave and even push out my calves, so that my legs have the curve of a banana.

It looks nice in a ballet extension, but it's hell on the knee joints.

For years, I have to make an effort not to let my knees lock when I'm standing, and I often have to sleep with a pillow under 'em (if on my back) or between 'em (if on my side) to relieve the tension.

It finally dawned on me that the reason I was having trouble keeping a shimmy is that my knees sometimes went "in" a bit too much, giving a kind of broken movement effect. Or like having a slightly stickly piston. If that makes sense. I find if I widen my stance a bit and concentrate on keeping my knees loose, it helps.

Zurah

Also was having trouble with a good prolonged shimmy until I realized that an old problem was cropping up again. My ballet teacher in college noticed that my knees hyper-extend, which gives what she called the 'banana leg" look. That is, when I am standing very straight, no bend in the knees, they are actually a bit concave and even push out my calves, so that my legs have the curve of a banana (...) It finally dawned on me that the reason I was having trouble keeping a shimmy is that my knees sometimes went "in" a bit too much, giving a kind of broken movement effect. Or like having a slightly stickly piston. If that makes sense. I find if I widen my stance a bit and concentrate on keeping my knees loose, it helps.

I needed to read this - I've never studied ballet, but I have the same problem with this and shimmies... when I'm not in class and the teacher is not there to correct me, I unconsciously revert to this habit - think I should try placing a pillow under my knees at night too, as I really need to correct this... thanks!

Safran

With so many dancers all over the world dancing at differet times of day, it's very unlikely that any of us are truly dancing alone.

It is a nice thought indeed!

But it isn't really a problem if all people in the world don't behave that way. I will keep a more closer eye on people in trains and bus stops etc. from now on when I travel. You never know when you might spot a dancer shimmying away there ;) Shimmying is like a secret handshake of ours to recognise other "clubmembers" :cool:

sstacy123

Yeah, I thought because I could do a hip shimmy that I was ready to add it to the grapevine but I keep having trouble...(Even bought Ansuya's Lavish Layers) it has now occured to me that perhaps building my shimmy endurance would be a big benefit. It is hard to practice something when you get tired after just a few moments.

Hi stacy123, that's the whole idea of practicing util you are able to bulid strength and endurance. Even 30secs can grow into 1 minute and so on. When you begin to feel tired stop and take in a deep breath. The oxygen will be a relief for tired muscles and you can blow of the carbon dioxide (which is the culprit for muscle fatigue). There is no reason to display prolonged shimmying anyway if you are into the music.
Yasmine

milky

Hey ladies and gents,
I just thought I would share this tip with all of you. At a recent bellydance event here, I heard that Amar Gamal and Virginia dedicate at least 5 minutes a day to just shimmying. Not layering or anything, just standing there and shimmying.

I started this daily practice not a long time ago.And I think it does do the trick!;)

sstacy123

Hi stacy123, that's the whole idea of practicing util you are able to bulid strength and endurance.

Yeah my teacher had just said when you feel comfortable, so I didn't realize being able to do it wasn't enough but to have the endurance...but when I was tiredly thrashing about trying to do the move it came to me...and then after rereading these posts it further solidified that.