Mutton dressed as Lamb?

Shanazel

I love your grandma, Gisela!

And I'd rep you for your final comment but the system won't let me! So how about some applause instead? :clap:

Cyriine

My Grandmother, God Bless Her, used to wear Dora The Explorer leggings in the winter under her Salwar Kameez, She was 80 (;

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm not sure I wouldn't want to see Grandma in a bedleh. I've seen some really great retirement-age and over dancers in bedleh that looked very nice. Maybe they don't wear their skirt split up to there, but I think you can certainly wear a 2-piece costume in your golden years without it having to look trashy or out of place.

The one thing I wonder about is how to costume around that natural thickening in the middle that seems to happen post-menopause. If you lose your waistline, is it flattering to wear a 2-piece? Or do you just have to find a style that works? Can you create the illusion of curves with carefully placed flounces and straps?

Greek Bonfire

This is a subject that bothers me a lot. First of all, there was the standard that women had to cut their hair before age 30, then they had to stop wearing very attractive clothes because they looked silly. But then the 1980s came along and so did Linda Evans and Joan Collins on "Dynasty" and they threw all of these stereotypes right into the sewer system. I just get a little annoyed when guidelines are drawn up for all ages like this. If it still looks good on you, I say GO FOR IT.

Aniseteph

Tasteful neutral colored bedlah with a single red rose on the lapel of the tummy-disguising jacket- check.

Lacy scarf tied loosely around neck in order to disguise sagging throat and swelling bosom- check.

Decorous a-line skirt with slimming front seams and hem length that allows an exciting glimpse of support hose at ankle- check.

Low heeled sensible pumps in coordinating color - check. (NOTE: appropriateness of peek-a-boo toes is debatable. Toe cleavage may be too racy for parts of the upper Midwest)

Neatly coifed, lightened, and permed short hair to visually lift sagging jowls- check.

Cantilever supports to visually lift sagging boobs- check.

Neutralizing make up to blank out actual features so that more acceptable ones may be painted on- check.

Humble expression to be donned in presence of twenty year old dancers wearing sparkly blue eye shadow and bead-fringed lycra micro-mini skirts and bandeau tops- check.

When you put it like that... <shudder> ... can you hear me shouting "**** no!" from there?

Thing is, if you can look and feel good in something theoretically age-inappropriate it's so inspirational for everyone else - DO IT! The sort of people who think you ought to go beige and invisible as you get older NEED to be shocked and horrified, it's very good for them.