Mutton dressed as Lamb?

Jane

What are the opinions on dancers who don't "dress their age"?

Is there a difference between dressing for your age and dressing to flatter yourself?

Suzanne Azhaar

Wow, tough question. What I would like to see on older dancers (including myself in that category), may not be what others want to see on an older dancer.

Is there an answer for this one? :think:

Darshiva

I am of the opinion that sequins never go out of fashion. I also believe in growing old disgracefully.

I think what one needs to do is take an honest friend costume shopping and get their opinion. Find something that flatters. If you find something almost good, make notes about it & get something made to measure (or make it yourself).

One thing I have noticed is that a well-made baladi dress will suit almost any figure and it tends to be more universally acceptable for an older dancer to wear one rather than the bra & belt type bedlahs.

Shakti

I have several older dancer friends and they will usually always wear arm gloves, or atleast have something decorating the upper arm.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Being in my 'wisdom' years (60+) I love dresses, they are classy, elegant & easy to wear ( also a darn sight easier to get into:D, I do have 2 piece costumes, which I wear power net body suits with (when I wear them which is not often these days), generally in a matching colour to the costume. Overall I think run with what makes you feel good, who am I to dictate what someone should or shouldn't wear. What one person is happy with another may think is inappropriate or not like themselves in it.

I see some real mutton dressed as lambs looks in street wear, they make me smile because they are so, so comfortable with themselves, they don't care what anyone thinks. I just think to myself, definitely not for me, but good for them dressing to suit themselves. I am a very boring street wear dresser, casual - black pants, and smart scoop neck T/shirts, or more dressy I have lovely long skirts or dresses in a variety of styles and fabrics. I fell in love with long skirts & dresses in the 60s and have been in love with them ever since. The hippie still resides in my soul & will to the day I die;) Oh yes I have very long hair and love flower claw clasps, dragonfly/ & other fancy swarovski barettes to hold it back for everyday wear. For dancing it is just left long and free.

Right at this moment i am wearing Black pants with a black scoop neck Top with "Hiptastic" right across the front.

I don't dress like a 20 year old, but I also don't dress like a granny, I even refuse to have any grandkids call me gran/nanna/or any of those 'aging' names. I am Anu.
~Mosaic

Jane

Lovely post Mosaic! :clap:

Regardless of age, it's good taste, knowing what flatters you, and feeling comfortable with what you're wearing that really matters IMO.

Belly Love

What are the opinions on dancers who don't "dress their age"?

Is there a difference between dressing for your age and dressing to flatter yourself?

I would think these are pretty much the same- dressing age appropriate would be flattering yourself.

I think on an older dancer it would be more appealing to me to see something more "clean" vs frilly/girly.

Jane

I can think of a few belly dance costumes I'd feel just weren't me. And are possibly age related to how I view myself.

A short list of things that would make me look like an idiot:

The pink Hello Kitty costume
Anything too theme or cosplay
belly burlesque
That gawdawful George Clinton yarn hair that was all the Tribal Fusion rage for a short while
Costumes with stuffed animals attached

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I can think of a few belly dance costumes I'd feel just weren't me. And are possibly age related to how I view myself.

belly burlesque
That gawdawful George Clinton yarn hair that was all the Tribal Fusion rage for a short while
Oh I agree wholeheartedly on all the above. Stuffed animals:shok: As for hello kitty I have never like HK anything, except for 2 year olds:D
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Let's see:

Tasteful neutral colored bedlah with a single red rose on the lapel of the tummy-disguising jacket- check.

Lacy scarf tied loosely around neck in order to disguise sagging throat and swelling bosom- check.

Decorous a-line skirt with slimming front seams and hem length that allows an exciting glimpse of support hose at ankle- check.

Low heeled sensible pumps in coordinating color - check. (NOTE: appropriateness of peek-a-boo toes is debatable. Toe cleavage may be too racy for parts of the upper Midwest)

Neatly coifed, lightened, and permed short hair to visually lift sagging jowls- check.

Cantilever supports to visually lift sagging boobs- check.

Neutralizing make up to blank out actual features so that more acceptable ones may be painted on- check.

Humble expression to be donned in presence of twenty year old dancers wearing sparkly blue eye shadow and bead-fringed lycra micro-mini skirts and bandeau tops- check.

All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up now.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Let's see:

Tasteful neutral colored bedlah with a single red rose on the lapel of the tummy-disguising jacket- check.

Lacy scarf tied loosely around neck in order to disguise sagging throat and swelling bosom- check.

Decorous a-line skirt with slimming front seams and hem length that allows an exciting glimpse of support hose at ankle- check.

Low heeled sensible pumps in coordinating color - check. (NOTE: appropriateness of peek-a-boo toes is debatable. Toe cleavage may be too racy for parts of the upper Midwest)

Neatly coifed, lightened, and permed short hair to visually lift sagging jowls- check.

Cantilever supports to visually lift sagging boobs- check.

Neutralizing make up to blank out actual features so that more acceptable ones may be painted on- check.

Humble expression to be donned in presence of twenty year old dancers wearing sparkly blue eye shadow and bead-fringed lycra micro-mini skirts and bandeau tops- check.

All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up now.
ummmm what about the motorbike gear;)
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Well, you know, if you wanna go industrial steampunk tribal belly dance, those chains and studs would look real fine. My own personal favorite motorcycle accessory is a large, bearded, rough-looking biker hanging onto my arm.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Well, you know, if you wanna go industrial steampunk tribal belly dance, those chains and studs would look real fine. My own personal favorite motorcycle accessory is a large, bearded, rough-looking biker hanging onto my arm.
Now that is the perfect accessory Who needs steampunk etc when you have that! :D
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator

belly burlesque

:lol::lol::lol:

My grandmother was such a fashion freak. Not in the sense of following todays fashion but more of being extremely interested in clothes and colours and interesting designs. I think she spent half her pension on expensive overcoats. She always struggled with other peoples idea of "dressing appropriate". As a young teacher in the 40's she was scorned for wearing elaborate purple mohair sweaters (purple was a colour for prostitutes, she was told by collegues) intstead of the "appropriate" white highnecked blouse, grey cardigan and the little pearl necklace.
As a woman of 90 y o she still coloured her hair flaming red and wore purple frilly blouses paired with a lime skirt and a rust coloured scarf.
I am so proud of her.

About dressing age appropriate, I don't give a rats ass. Just don't dress too old too soon ;)

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Gisela I love your grandmother, now that is someone to look up too:D

Jenc, as for hello kitty condoms, well ..... I could say many things, but it might be a tad inappropriate. Anyway i will never see hello kitty items in the same way again and if you hear on the news that some strange woman in Aussie gets the giggles whenever she sees hello kitty objects, and mutters something about it being jenc's fault, you'll know who it is. I suppose they come in all sorts of colours as well .... only the Japanese would come up with such a product
~Mosaic