My daughter's first skirt/hip scarf

DancersDad

We, my daughter and I, made this two days ago. She needed an outfit for the upcoming 4th of July parade and so we decided to make one. She chose a satin sheet for the material for the skirt, which we actually made in once piece. It's a form of a basic A line skirt with some variation. The hip scarf she made with a bit of direction from me. The method of tucking the coin fabric under small folds of the purple material was her idea. Now we just have to decorate the bikini top which we dyed purple to match the scarf. That we'll do sometime in the next few days. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dus'

Attachments

• PICT0194.jpg
    PICT0194.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 310

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. Well done to both both you, the hipscarf is lovely. There are a lot of seamstresses who are members who may be able to give you ideas for decorating the top, I am not one unfortunately:D
~Mosaic

DancersDad

Thanks! I'll have to look up the term "couch" as it applies to sewing as I'm not familiar with it. But as for the coins, yes, that is sort of what we had in mind for it. Good to hear we are on the right track! Thanks again!

dus'

Shanazel

Couching is an embroidery technique that involves laying one thread on the surface of the ground (in this case the bra) and stitching it into place with tiny stitches that either overlap the laid thread or that actually penetate it, depending on the type of laid thread and the look you want. It's a good way to use thread and cord that won't go through or "pass" through the ground. In this case, I'd probably echo the drapes of gold on the belt to unify the bra and hipband visually.

Some references:

STITCH with the Embroiderers' Guild Workshop - Couching

Stitches - Historical Needlework Resources

Amulya

Welcome on board :). Looking forward to see more pictures of the costume. How did the dying on the top go? Did the color turn out right?

DancersDad

Shanazel, thanks much for the description and the links. I'm going to look them over and see what my daughter thinks of it. :)

Amulya, yes, the bra turned out very well. The color was a very close match once we dyed it. Now we are trying to decide just what we want to do with the small, plastic, brown circlet that clasps the two cups together. I was thinking of using a fine, decorative, gold wire to tightly wrap it, tucking the ends so they aren't pokey. It's my first idea for the circlet. We'll see how it goes over the last couple of days. Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

dus'

Edit: Shanazel, I did get to check out those links and they were very interesting. I think that that is exactly what I will do when we finalize the decorations on her bikini top. Thank you again.

dus'

Last edited:

DancersDad

Bikini top finished now as well

Well, tonight, right before her class, we finished Laura's top. I'm really happy with the results. So is she. Let me know what ya think . . . Thanks!

dus'

DancersDad

Thanks Shanazel. I think the costume is somewhat basic but it was fun to make. I'm pretty happy for it being the first one we've put together ourselves. :)

dus'

GypsyStacey

i turned out great! & she looks lovely wearing it. congrats on the first costume. i see many more in your future...lol