Need Info in regards to Lebanese Dance

Rachel

Hi fellow dancers,

I have been honored to perform at the Grand Palladium again this year, and also have a heads up that a large Lebanese family will be in attendance.

Looking for music suggestions? Have a few Nadia Gamal reference pieces for inspiration - any others you can think of?

And looking for info on the Debke/Dabke?

Thank you so much for your assistance,

Happy Shimmies,
Rachel

Hyacinth

Lebanese music

Fairuz is a legendary Lebanese singer, there are many CD's / compilations of her music available on the web, plus Salome has some lyrics translations on her site.

karena

See if you can find these guys! They were in Canada :dance:

There's loads of debke on youtube. Of the various types I've seen/done there seems to be alot of commonality.

lizaj

Meissoun of Switzerland promotes Lebanese style of belly dance if you are considering that also. I think she visited the USA. She has DVD on the style and I am sure she is on Youtube. She is also on a performance DVD 2Belly dance Sensation"
She is coming to the Uk and we have just published an interview with her in our current mag.

Last edited:

Rachel

Thanks everyone for the great info:D

I will have to post pics when we get back. This will be so much fun and I had a great time last year performing at the Grand Palladium. My Canadian Bellydancer in Paradise article was published in The Chronicles and I am looking forward to added from this years experiences.

Having the time of my life choreographing routines. And I have just finished a bellydance routine for my Jr High students to 'Montego Bay'. :cool:

Happy Shimmies,
Rachel

Mark_Balahadia

FYI, Feyrouz is not good dancing music. Any Lebanese will tell you her music is more for listening, not shaking :D

Sabah, the Lebanese Diva has many good songs that are good for sharqi including Ya Dala3 and Ayam el Lulu.

For something traditional you can perform cane to Ya Ein Moulaytein or to other Lebanese folkloric music (not Feyrouz). Don't do dabke unless your good at it!

I specialize in Lebanese style as well, although I'm a mix of the old and the new styles. Lebanese love a lot of good classic Egyptian songs too so don't rule them out either.

Rachel

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I listened to a Fairuz CD this weekend and her music is very enchanting, but definitely not danceable to.

And I will check out Sabah's music.

I did find that watching what I could for dabke that it is very traditional and something they would take great pride in. So if they break out that music and ask me to join in and show me the steps, then yes, I will be thrilled.

What I am working on will be a mix of Egyptian and Lebanese. I find the Lebanese style very interesting as it is very fluid and more arm driven than feet (I hope that makes sense ...lol)

And after all the feel of the dance is what the dancer portrays - positive attitude, great moves, smiles, vibrant and having fun.

I have received such great info from this site and especially this thread. I love the history and tradition of these great dances. Thank you.

Rachel

Thanks everyone for all your input. I performed Fannik Saharna as one of my dances to rave reviews by all.

The best and most valued comment made was from a Lebanese woman in her 60's who now lives in Canada.

She gave me a big hug after my 4 song set and said that "that was the best bellydancing she has seen in ages and you look lovely, my dear", followed by "and trust me, I have seen a lot of bellydancers". She commented each time she seen me and gave me a big hug the day they were leaving.

I also taught classes three times that week all to rave reviews and a lot of women were heading home to check for Bellydance classes in their area.

The staff at the Grand Palladium were phenomenal and their entertainment team were the best. We exchanged moves and gained great friendships. To which most commented 'that was some of the best hip moves they have seen on someone who wasn't Jamaican'. They have now made me and my hips an honorary Jamaican resident :eek:)

Now on to the Grand Palladium in the Mayan Riviera where I will be performing and teaching, as well.

Thanks everyone and this site is an awesome reference tool for everyone!