Online lessons - have you tried them?

DancingArabian

Hi all,

I see a lot of the famous dancers I like are offering different kinds of online learning opportunities (from video subscriptions to live classes). Has anyone here tried it?

Farasha Hanem

I take Skype classes every week from Darshiva, and when I'm in a position to do so, will probably add regular (but not weekly) classes with David. :D

I also want to take a few lessons with Cassandra. :D

Dunyah

I haven't tried them yet, but the weekly class that I was attending is on hiatus. So I want to try some on-line lessons on Daturaoline.com. Sedona, who I adore, is offering a mini-series on Vintage American Cabaret style, which sounds really fun. For $8 you can keep the lesson for a month, I think. Datura has a wide selection of instructors and styles to choose from and they have gotten great reviews from people that I respect.

Last edited:

Amulya

Thanks, I feel like signing up for it :) but I'm still not able to dance (I have been trying last week, but injured my knee, hip and shoulder, yay, so much fun... Not!)

Tarik Sultan

On line classes

I offer online classes to my students on Skype. They really enjoy it because it allows them to have personal interaction and the class is tailored for their specific individual needs. I enjoy it because I can see exactly what they are doing and how and offer them solutions if they are having challenges. It's also great for coaching and helping them to create their own choreographies.

If anyone out there has moves that you've been struggling with or are unsure how to execute, I'm available for instructions. Send me a message at tariksultandance@gmail.com

atisheh

I've worked with Datura Online and Raqstv. WDNY has new streaming options which I plan to review soon, but I haven't actually worked with them yet.

The pros:

- Handy when traveling -- I don't have to bring along a DVD
- Fast delivery (I'm abroad, that makes a difference)
- More affordable than a real DVD
- In the case of Datura Online, they've really figured out how to make their site more than just a DVD stream -- you can compile difference pieces of programs into your own playlist.

The cons:

- I always seem to have a bad internet connection, which makes streaming programs basically unusable
- I'm a pack rat -- I want to own things, for a long time, in case I go back to them. I hate paying for something and not owning it.
- Especially because my subscriptions invariably expire before I have time to use them
- Except in the case of Datura, streamed DVDs no longer have the menus -- which reduces their useability.

What I've never done are live online classes (via Skype or PowHow), and I'm very curious about them indeed!