Organising your fabric and trimmings collection

PracticalDancer

Yes, it would take a fairy godmother to organize my mess upstairs.

But, you know what? My MUSE functions best when she can just rummage through piles! Things that I would never think to put together will randomly land next to one another, inspiring another idea . . .:)

Ahimsa

Just wanted to post a few pics to make you all feel better about your so called mess...

Just cast your eyes over the beauty that is my sewing box (or what it used to be called in a former life!:lol:)

This is it opened up so you can see just how bad it is!

And this is the bottom of my cupboard where my fabric bits are... so shameful! :confused:

In case you can't work out the above, yes that is the hoover next to it, and yes that is my ironing pile on top of it!

SO BAD! It has been depressing me for a while now, but this is the motivation I need to get it organised.

These are the before pics... hopefully I will have some nice AFTER pics to post which I can be proud of!! :D

Ahimsa

adiemus

Yummy! I like this idea - I really like the threads all on the wall, I could adopt that! and the raise and lower thingy...

Here's my mess...totally unorganised....
View attachment 3152 - The bag lady's possessions in a pile

View attachment 3153 - treasure trove of fabrics and colours!

View attachment 3154 - somewhat organised box of patterns

View attachment 3155 - sewing machine sharing a desk with a keyboard (piano-style), computer underneath (deceased), and various belongings of my daughters....

Ahimsa

I feel quite motivated to have a good old clear-out of my fabric collections and organise it!!

I've managed to persuade my partner to build me a sewing cabinet that I can put my sewing machine in... although it might take a little more persuading for him to consider trying to include the lower bit for the sewing machine... a bit more of my sewing stuff lying around might do the trick though ;)

Shanazel + adiemus, I love your ideas!! We used to have costume and sewing evenings years ago with my old dance group. We discussed costumes, brought some in, sewing tips, and brought in different fabrics and adornments, books, props etc. We had music on and then had some videos and stuff. It was a great evening and one I wish we had more of!

Sometimes there are sewing workshops, maybe something like this could be organised but instead of workshop, more of a costume/sewing/hafla/general get-together?

Ahimsa

which is difficult now i've just seen all the locations... how about an online fabric + adornment discussion/swap shop?

We could post pics of things we have and others could come up with ideas for uses for costumes!

Shanazel

Well, yes, getting people together from NZ, UK, and USA could be problematic, but I'd be happy to offer my house for the get together. :D

Daimona

I'd love to come for a gathering at your house, Shanazel!

The containers are perfect for storing fabrics.
Beads and sequins etc are kept in small see-through plastic ziplock bags or boxes in the containers.
Before I got too much stash, I also used an ordinary PVC toolbox.

It isn't a genius solution, but it works until I find a better way. At least it is better than being a bag lady.

I've been buying too much fabric the last month because my favourite fabric store will close within a month and they are having a final sale. *sigh* But, tonight I've been a very good girl and sorted most of my fabric collection in see through containers. :yay:
Now I have large containers for lycra/elastic fabric (going to be costumes and practice gear), wool and linnen and smaller containers for chiffon/georgette, silk (although, should have been a large container) and other various pieces of fabric.
I still need a couple of more containers to get rid of the last bags, but they are safely stored (i.e. packed) in the closet so they don't occupy corners, tables and chairs etc.. ;) Now I just need to find a place to store the containers..

Leilah

I have completely taken over my guest room. Husband built counter w/power strip & lights in closet, rollie drawer units under counter with trims, patterns and tools, shelves on side and hanging organizer off the closet pole. Small china hutch houses all my "hardware": glue guns, jewelry findings, beads, books, etc. Complete costume pieces are in bins under the bed, current projects (ren faire, tribal, cabaret) and all their respective required parts are exploded all over the bed and dresser.
No nearly as organized as I'd like, but love all my pretties! Bad as a crow, I am!

Must say I love the idea of color sorting all the trims. Never occurred to me. Mine are a complete jumble!

Daimona

I have completely taken over my guest room. Husband built counter w/power strip & lights in closet, rollie drawer units under counter with trims, patterns and tools, shelves on side and hanging organizer off the closet pole. Small china hutch houses all my "hardware": glue guns, jewelry findings, beads, books, etc.

:shok: Perhaps you can post a picture of this wonderful craft you husband have built so the rest of us can admire (and envy ;) ) your workspace? :pray:

Daimona

I think everyone has covered my methods for storing (using much grander words than "in a pile"); but, I may be able to offer an idea for keeping track of your inventory . . .

I think I alluded to this in another thread. When I buy fabric, I nip off one corner, enough to get an idea of the color and pattern. I then staple this swatch to a plain old piece of white paper, where I note the (approximate) yardage. I slip this paper in a sheet protector in a notebook (binder style). As I buy more fabric, I add more swatches and notes. As I sew, rip off the little swatch and move it to a different page of "completed" projects, noting what I made, and approximately how much (if any) fabric was left.

Yesterday I started making myself some kind of scrap book to keep track of my fabrics. I've stapled swatches of the fabric to paper where I've noted length, width and stretch (if stretchy, in what direction) and some other notes if necessary.
It isn't as sophisticated as Anala's scrap book, but hopefully I'll get a better overview of what I've got and what I'll need for future projects.. I can't believe how much fabric I've actually bought the last 3 months.. :whistle:

Shanazel

Let's not get too heavily into the amounts of fabric we buy- it will embarass me and I'll have to go fabric shopping to deal with my emotions.

Daimona

Let's not get too heavily into the amounts of fabric we buy- it will embarass me and I'll have to go fabric shopping to deal with my emotions.

:lol: Dear Shannie, nobody asked you to tell how much fabric you are buying. And you don't have to be ashamed to go shopping for more.. *hugs* ;)

Amulya

I have decided I am going to do my best to get my other half to build me a sewing cabinet!!

I am totally in love with this idea and would be perfect for the spare room!

I quite like these:
http://images-a.hayneedle.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:ARW020.jpg&h=1600&w=1600
http://images-a.hayneedle.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:ARW001.jpg&h=1600&w=1600
http://images-a.hayneedle.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:ARW015.jpg&h=800&w=800

Better get persuading then... ;)

I want that! I just moved so I got all my stuff upstairs now, the desk is ready and the boxes with fabric as well, now it needs organizing. But unpacking all my books is a priority now because that's all my living room and looks horrible!

justonemorebill

Usually bag the material in clear plastic bags and then store in clear plastic tubs. Patterns in smaller plastic boxes. Thread, trim, beads and bangles in plastic bags and then also in plastic boxes.

Warning: Had a friend store their fabric in plastic tubs in the basement. The sump pump died and filled the basement with 10" (25 cm) of water. The plastic tubs floated high enough to tip over. :( :(

Lesson is that you cannot be too paranoid about fabric and the other important things in life.

Have Fun :)

DancersDad

I like the idea of the clear, plastic tubs. I think that after my daughter's graduation party this weekend I'll pick up a couple of them and start sorting out all of the different materials that we have on hand. I'm thinking of a costume that was adorned with bits of different materials that would flare or fan out when spinning but lie flat again when not and so have bits and bits of different and varied materials and colors. So, that clear, plastic tub sounds like a great idea for me. Thank you.

dus'