Origin of Styles

eden eyes

I was thinking of this earlier today:

So, correct me if I'm wrong (and i'm referring to the showy kind of styles, not the folkloric neccessarily), Egyptian is more disciplined, controlled, and meaningful. Turkish is more flamboyant, flashy, and free. When, who, or what determined the characteristics of these two styles?

As when, why are they the way they are??? I see Turkish Roman Havasi (which is i guess the folkloric version of Turkish?) and i don't see the skimpy little cossies and flashy big smiles and leaping. Was it the Western movement in the early 1900s?

i hope these questions make sense.

Sorry i haven't been posting much in the actual "dance" threads, i've been lurking lately :rolleyes:

thanks!

Kharmine

Hi, EE,

Every dancer does a style differently so if you compare, say, Soheir Zaki and Nagwa Fouad you have two very different Egyptian dancers. And you can find the same thing happens in Turkish, Greek, etc.

We've tried defining the "Egyptian" from the "Turkish" from the "Greek" and "American-style Cabaret" and it gets complicated when we try to break down actual movement. Try looking through previous threads on the subjects! You'll find no two people agree on what makes one style distinct from another.

Or better yet, go to YouTube and look up one excellent dancer such as our own Chryssanthi Sahar, and see how she does her traditional Greek tsifteli, and then raqs sharqi (Egyptian style).

I'll tell you what I've decided on -- it depends on the music!!! :dance: