Oum Khulsoum sings Inta Omri

Aisha Azar

Dear Gang,
Right now on Arab Detroit, there is a Youtube version , nine minutes long, of O.K. singing Inta Omri. Well worth viewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you can get there by going to Arab Detroit.
Regards,
A'isha

PracticalDancer

Thank you for posting that, Aisha! I am not sure I had heard that section of the music before -- I have about 7 versions of that song; yet, the only one with her vocal is (*gasp*) a modern club version. (hangs head in shame!) that I actually danced to (hangs head deeper in shame) before I knew the "rule" about never actually dancing to the parts she sung to (crawls under the carpet in shame, then peeks out and asks "has anyone else heard that rule???")

One day, I will find a good recording of the entire piece with her vocals. If anyone can recommend one, let me know!

In the interim, the "standard melody" that we are all most familiar with is still one of my two favorite musical compositions of all time. (The other is Rhapsody in Blue, particularly the version by Marcus Roberts.) My husband has standing orders that if he has to plan my funeral, I want Rhapsody playing while folks enter, and Inte Omri playing right before they leave -- send me out in style!

Regards,

Anala

Aisha Azar

Inta Omri

Dear Anala,
You are welcome. I am trying to introduce Arab Detroit all around on the site. If you tune into their radio station you can hear a lot of older music among the more modern.
I have never heard the rule about not dancing to the singing parts. (That does not mean it doesn't exist, though....) In any case, the words are the words, whether we dance to instrumental versions or those with the words sung. Most Arabs of several generations know the songs, words and all!!
I love Rhapsody in Blue also!!
It is out on disc, but unfortunately, I can not give you much info since everything except her name, Mohammed Abdel Wahab's and Ahed Shafik Kamel, the lyricist's names are in Arabic. I will try to remember to ask someone to translate the company name for me, or you can go to Rashid Sales Co and see if they have the CD. I got it at the Arabian store here in town.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

I have bookmarked Arab Detroit; but, I can only listen from home. (Streaming media is aptly forbidden where I work, as it is a bandwidth hog and a security issue.) :(

The explanation I was given for the "rule" was that it was out of respect for her -- how could a dancer compete, or even think enough to dance, when hearing the voice of the great one? So, one could dance to the instrumental sections, but not the vocals. Curious about the accuracy of that, though . . .

Do look up Marcus Roberts' version. He ruffled a few feathers by "going a little ragtime" in his rendition. But, at 20 minutes plus, it is a joyous version indeed -- I cry when I hear the "soaring bit" (I think US airways had that as their jingle for a while)

Regards,

Anala

summerdance

the "rule" about never actually dancing to the parts she sung to (crawls under the carpet in shame, then peeks out and asks "has anyone else heard that rule???")

Anala

Yes, that rule exists. That is the reason, thanks Anala. Also, there are etiquette rules RE: listening to her. There are so many ritualistic elements. It was a real event to listen. Her listeners were called Sume3a (literally listeners, or educated, sophisticated listeners.) Some people get really worked up about it. It's offensive to me only if the dancer knew about and ignored this 'rule' anyway. Most people don't know, so I don't jump down their throat.

We're almost fanatical about Um Kulthum, as I'm sure you know already. :lol::lol:

p.s. You can get most of her vocal CDs from any Arabic DVD or CD shop here in the U.S.

Last edited: