Out of the ordinary music...

gypsyroze

I have found that I listen to music to assess if I can bellydance to it or not. I love listening to classic bellydance, or middle eastern music, but with so many artists using rhythms and tunes form all over, you can find so many songs to dance to. I have found that I like to dance to these songs.

1. "Oh" By Ciara
2. "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira
3. "Contagious" by Truth Hurts
4. "Baby Boy" By Beyonce
5. "Mummer's Dance" by Loreena McKennitt
6. "Dante's Prayer" by Loreena McKennitt
7. "Desert Rose" by Sting
8. "Classical Gas" The Eric Clapton version
9. "Arabian Dance (Coffee)" by Tchaikovsky (The Nutcracker Suite)
10. "Milkshake" by Kalis (Great for practicing zills)
11. "Habanera" from Bizet's Carmen

These songs are just a few of my favorites to dance to.

Last edited:

Mair

This is going to sound horribly bizarre, I know, but I listen to "Down By the Water" by PJ Harvey while I practice upper-body isolations.

Violeetsidhe

i've started dancing and working out to two albums Flamenco arabe 1 & 2 it a little bit out of the ordinary and really good

Mihrimah Ghaziya

Oh I loooooooove Flamenco Arabe! I have often perfomed pieces of it on stage.

I find some film music is often suitable (if the piece is not too long). I have seen a group making a perfomance once on "Now we are free" (Gladiator). Well, it wasn't that bad, although I sometimes found their interpretation doubtful (they were very static, I would have moed around more)

Ludmilla

I am really interested to hear some of the songs you all mention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I thought maybe I was a bit "off" in that believe or not when I hear Cher's song - the one about ..."traveling band.......men would lay their money down...." It even has the reprise of something about a gypsy -- it just has a really interesting beat, I'd like to see someone really good do a BD piece to that song --
Also, I love the doors, so Light my Fire always I would like to see movement to......................I'll check out some of these other songs - I agree esp for practice it is very nice to have some variety in music and it just adds to the fun of practice -- Bye for now -- Ludy:)

gypsyroze

I am really interested to hear some of the songs you all mention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I thought maybe I was a bit "off" in that believe or not when I hear Cher's song - the one about ..."traveling band.......men would lay their money down...." It even has the reprise of something about a gypsy -- it just has a really interesting beat, I'd like to see someone really good do a BD piece to that song --
Also, I love the doors, so Light my Fire always I would like to see movement to......................I'll check out some of these other songs - I agree esp for practice it is very nice to have some variety in music and it just adds to the fun of practice -- Bye for now -- Ludy:)

Hey Ludmilla, the Cher song that you are thinking of is called "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves". I really like that song myself.

Also the song, "Naughty Girl" by Beyonce is nice to practice slow movement. I wouldn't perform in public to this song however... I have thought about the song "Green Sleaves" and ofcourse there is "Marco Polo" by Loreena McKennitt. I liked the instrumental songs used on the soundtrack of, believe it or not, "The Incredible Hulk". Lots of middle eastern sounding music.

I suggest trying cds that the company Putomayo puts out. Nice compilations from all over the world. I have found that Celtic music is nice for practicing.

Last edited:

gwinity

The first choreo I learned with my current teacher was a beautiful veil routine to Marco Polo.

I have a serious lack of funds for authentic Middle Eastern music, so I have fun putting moves to contemporary pop/rock instead. I'd list my favourites, but I have weird taste in music, so let's just say I use dance music for slow moves, for a good shimmy workout, I'll put on anything heavy \m/ :D \m/, and for the rest, or combinations, anything up-tempo by Shakira is good.

But really, as long as something has a good beat to it, I'll try and bellydance to it. :D

Last edited:

gypsyroze

Music from "The Lion King"! How could I forget about all the African music that I have and use when practicing.

tim ema

I recently burned a CD for a friend who was going on holiday. She didn't want to take her purchased CDs in the car, so she wanted the best songs from all of them put on one disc. I always like to listen to a disc after I've burned it to make sure it works so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and do my bellydance practice to it!
These are some that I was the most surprised worked so well! (I've included links to audio clip samples on Amazon.com - just scroll down until you see the name of the song and click the link beside it)

Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith was GREAT! Smooth snake arms and figures eights to "sweeeeeet emoooooootion", and great guitar bits for shimmies!sample on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/zgatz

Real Gone by Sheryl Crow from the soundtrack for the movies "Cars" was wonderful fun for hip isolations!
sample on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/ru8j7

Twist and Shout by the Beatles was...well..Terrific of course!!

Start the Commotion by the Wiseguys from the soundtrack to the movie Zoolander was just a super all around quick moving song with a strong beat. sample on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/lkc24

I was really surprised how natural it was to practice BD to these songs! I don't think I would ever PERFORM to this sort of music, but for practice they were great fun!

:)
AT

Last edited:

gypsyroze

www.pandora.com I think that is the name of the radio website, but if you put in certain artists, then the website will generate simlar music types and artists.

Then there is the movie "Something New", there was this Arabic pop song playing, I never did find out what it was, but it was amazing

anyone know who this was?

Kiraze

For isolations and soft movements I love to use dark and passionate music - metal and goth genres have som wonderful stuff that are vey usable (Metallica, Apocalyptica and Nox Arcana are my current favourites as well some weird stuff sung in Finnish ;) )

Also some Finnish folkmusic with modern interpretations á la Värttinä can be fantastic as Finnish as well as many other Eastern European music can have surprisingly "oriental" feeling

Sara

I love Now we are free! :)

Erm I like all kinds of music, from Sean Paul, to putting on Hi de Hi and just moving and isolating every time they say a word. It's dead hard.

I like practising to lots of Latin rhytms lately too. Like Wanna ride? from take the lead soundtrack.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm weird, but I like Bulgarian music to dance to. Not necessarily "belly dance" but just sort of undulate, wiggle, and wobble to. Our international dance group here makes compilation CDs of different folk dance music, and Bulgarian is always one of my faves.

And Bhangra -- did I spell that right? I love dancing to Bhangra. I actually would really like to learn how to ACTUALLY dance to this. I know there's a lot of shoulder movement and not much (if any) hip movement.

Sara

I like that Na Rein Na Rein song. All bollywood like cause it maes you want to get up and dance!:D :D :dance:

Maria_Aya

Kill me lol
I admit :rolleyes: lol
But try first :
Smack my bitch up, by Prodigy for an oriental trance and after tell me ;)

Maria Aya

Sara

Hi Mouse- you're prolly right, lol. I'm well hopeless at names. I end up with the wrong name of rmost things. It's very bouncy and I think BDSS used it at that Folies Berges DVD.