Scheduling a fitness regime around dance

Birdlight

So, I'm sure this must come up a lot but I couldn't find it in the search bit, apologies if it's a repeat.

I am trying to figure out how to balance my dancing in with other fitness regimes, such as workout dvd's,yoga, swimming etc. i also have a wee dog who needs walking, but don't count the walking as it's not exactly cardio or strength training. I don't count dance for much the same reason.

I try and practise 5x a week, and i need to do strength training and cardio another, well they reccommend 3 x weekly for any exercise don't they?

So, what I'm thinking is how do I get cardio, strength and flexibility training in during the week, and still get a 5xweekly dance practise in too.

Plus I guess my partner would like to see me occasionally!

So, how do you guys fit your practise in around work, whilst also having a fitness regime? If anyone would share their schedule to give me idea's I'd be grateful!

Note:I used to combine dog walking with cardio by running but my knees really can't handle that so it's not an option :-(

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
First you need to start counting your walking and dance because they do burn calories, more than you seem to think.

Second we need information on how long you do each activity, how many times currently each a week, and at what intensity?

Third, what exactly are you trying to get out of working in dance into all of what you are doing? Are you trying to lose weight, build muscle, build flexibility, train for an event? If so then there are more factors you will need to consider and additional questions that need to be asked.

Last edited:

SeeJaneDance

I agree with Cheart about needing more info, but for fun, this is what I do, and what my goals are.

I'm currently in the process of losing a significant amount of weight. In the process, I'm trying to increase strength, flexibility, and endurance. I work in a desk job that offers minimal opportunity for moving around.

Diet is a huge part of all this, but you didn't ask about that, so I won't go into it, only just to say that none of my other goals would be met if I ignored this aspect.

One day a week I have an hour long dance class. I try to keep moving as much as possible for that whole hour. I will quietly shimmy in place if everyone's taking a break or something else is going on that I don't need to pay attention to.

Five more days out of the week, I practice at home. I do consider this cardio because I move constantly, get my heart rate up, and sweat for a half hour.

Three of those days I do a weight routine supplemented with yoga and body weight exercises, also for a half an hour.

That means that four days out of the week, I spend an hour, two other days, I only spend a half an hour. One day a week I take off and rest. I like splitting everything up into little half hour blocks. It makes it way easier to schedule, and I don't feel bad if I have to split my workout up, though I try not to. It also makes me feel more freedom to tack on an extra 15-30 minutes, if I have it to spare.

Next week I plan to start the Couch to 5K program, which takes a half hour, approximately, three days a week. What I'll realistically do is run on my "day off" and the two days I've previously just been dancing.

I find that this is sufficient exercise, combined with my diet, to help me reach my goals, given that I regularly increase the difficulty or vary the routine of what I'm doing. But in that vein, Cheart is exactly right in that you need to figure out your goals first, and then how to meet them.

Birdlight

First you need to start counting your walking and dance because they do burn calories, more than you seem to think.

Second we need information on how long you do each activity, how many times currently each a week, and at what intensity?

Third, what exactly are you trying to get out of working in dance into all of what you are doing? Are you trying to lose weight, build muscle, build flexibility, train for an event? If so then there are more factors you will need to consider and additional questions that need to be asked.

Aha,yes, more info might help!

My aim is not calorie burn (though if a little weight comes off I won't mind). I'm a UK 10-12, 5'3" and about 9.3 stone, so I'm not bothered about size. What I need to do is get fit strong and flexible.

My flexibility is an issue- I can only now nearly touch my toes and thats after 3 months of mostly daily stretching every morning. Very tight muscles from when I used to run- my stretching routine post run was very shoddy and I've never been hugely flexible to start with.

I also need to get stronger as i feel better when i'm stronger, but after being very ill last year I'm like a wibbly jelly lady. I'd like to get some muscle back.

On top of that, I feel some aerobic stamina would benefit me especially for dance.

My current routine is to do some ashtanga style yoga 3x a week, followed by some squats and planks. This takes about half an hour, unless I do Ms Brices 40minute yoga practise instead. I then dance after this for about half an hour. Two other days I do a gentle warm up and then an hours dance practise, with drills etc. I walk my dog every day for 45mins-1hr (luckily my partner takes doggy out for the rest of his walks so that gives me dance time)

I just feel like I'm not really getting anywhere. Like it's not enough dance practise to get better, not enough yoga to get more flexible or that much stronger and there is no cardio in there really...

I wondered how other people manage it! Or what else I should get in there. I could definitely get another half an hour in daily (I'd just have to actually get my lazy bum out of bed a little earlier!) I'm just not sure what to put in there and thought seeing others routines and systems might give me clues.

*I should add that I used to be -really- fit-ran 5 miles 3xweekly, on top of cycling to and from work 5 days a week, plus dance plus pole fitness classes. But that was when I was single! Plus I wasn't as dance focused as I am now and only bellydance twice a week. I think i'm struggling a little with wanting to have my old level of fitness back AND keep up the dance practise basically.

Last edited:

Birdlight

I agree with Cheart about needing more info, but for fun, this is what I do, and what my goals are.

I'm currently in the process of losing a significant amount of weight. In the process, I'm trying to increase strength, flexibility, and endurance. I work in a desk job that offers minimal opportunity for moving around.

Diet is a huge part of all this, but you didn't ask about that, so I won't go into it, only just to say that none of my other goals would be met if I ignored this aspect.

One day a week I have an hour long dance class. I try to keep moving as much as possible for that whole hour. I will quietly shimmy in place if everyone's taking a break or something else is going on that I don't need to pay attention to.

Five more days out of the week, I practice at home. I do consider this cardio because I move constantly, get my heart rate up, and sweat for a half hour.

Three of those days I do a weight routine supplemented with yoga and body weight exercises, also for a half an hour.

That means that four days out of the week, I spend an hour, two other days, I only spend a half an hour. One day a week I take off and rest. I like splitting everything up into little half hour blocks. It makes it way easier to schedule, and I don't feel bad if I have to split my workout up, though I try not to. It also makes me feel more freedom to tack on an extra 15-30 minutes, if I have it to spare.

Next week I plan to start the Couch to 5K program, which takes a half hour, approximately, three days a week. What I'll realistically do is run on my "day off" and the two days I've previously just been dancing.

I find that this is sufficient exercise, combined with my diet, to help me reach my goals, given that I regularly increase the difficulty or vary the routine of what I'm doing. But in that vein, Cheart is exactly right in that you need to figure out your goals first, and then how to meet them.

Thanks for this. I like splitting things into blocks too, makes it easier to timetable and manage! I'm also taking your 'keep moving' in class tip, to make the most of my classes. Maybe if I up the intensity of my dance practise at home I could start viewing it as 'counting'. I think for a long time dancing was what I did for fun and exercise was, well, exercise! Maybe I should relax a little and start counting it on in there!

Can I ask what yoga and weight routine you do? I'm currently doing 15minutes of a sun saltuation/ashtanga combo, followed by 15 minutes of planks, squats (oh, how I love squats:rolleyes:), lunges and push ups. OR I do 40 mins of viniyoga from Rachel Brices Dvd. I'm a bit stronger and a little more flexible but now I seem to have plateaued...

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Ok I'm done some math with what you been telling me. Now I"m not an expert but just learned some stuff over my years.

Based on my conversions you weight is good for your height, so yes you don't need to worry about this. Just to confirm I've written up a workout schedule for what you said, let me know if this is accurate.

3X week for 30-40 minutes yoga, Squats and planks, and dance practice 30 min. Total of 1 hour min.

7x week walk for 45min-1hour with dog.

About your walking first. I did a few calculations and based on your weight and height, a 45-1 hour walk will burn around 148-177 calories. 177 is at a brisk walk. 148 on the slow end.

Now were you are wanting strength and flexibility you don't really need cardio as that is more for burning calories. The key for strength and flexibility is that you have to focus on both since as you gain strength you will loss flexibility. Though yoga will help with strength and flexibility it does not do as much as people think it does.

You schedule seems to be short on muscle training. To build your strength up you should start weight lifting or doing moves that rely on your own weight. Don't worry, you will NOT bulk up like guys do at all, we don't have the testosterone for that. For building muscle you have to do at least 45 minutes of this at least 3-4 times a week. You will not want to train the same muscle group in a row, as you need to give them time to recover and repair themselves (aka build muscle). To build muscle you have to weight train with heavier weights. You have to give your muscles the challenge or they just won't grow.

To build flexibility yoga is good for that but I would recommend finding some more pure stretching moves. You will want to do these every day or at least 6 days a week for about 30 minutes. Flexibility is all about how much your veins and tendons can stretch. Start slow and build up the time you hold each movement. Don't push yourself to the point of pain but till you feel a tight feeling in the area. Give yourself time as this will take time to overcome, especially if you are weight training at the same time.

Dance drills will help with your flexibility more than they will cardio or strength. They help train your muscles to do movements and move in ways they are not used to doing. In doing so they will increase in flexibility as you work at it.

For example, I can give you my schedule I use for training. Note that I am also at the same time working on losing weight so it will be more than you will need. Plus am training for a dance performance in 3 weeks. I'm at work right now so I'm going to try to remember as best I can. I also switch this up every 2 weeks to keep my muscles from going into memory and getting to comfortable with the workouts.

Sunday

- 2 hour hike up Mt.Scio, around a pond, and back down. (cardio and muscle intensive. If I jog this I get more cardio out of it)
- 1 hour dance training for performances
- 45 minutes weight training of upperbody muscles

Monday

6am (1 hour hatha yoga)
7-9pm- 2 hour dance troupe practice

Tuesday

6am (1 hour hatha yoga)
5pm- 45 minutes weight training of lower body muscles
7pm- 1 hour zumba

Wednesday

- 6am (1 hour hatha yoga)
5pm- 45 minutes weight training of core muscles

Thursday

6am- (1 hour hatha yoga)
5pm- 1 hour dance practice (drills)
7p - 1 hour zumba

Friday

6am (1 hour hatha yoga)
6pm- 2 hours troupe dance practice

Saturday

- 1 hour hatha yoga
- 1.5 hour troupe dance practice
- 2 hour hike up Mt. Scio, around the pond, and back down.

Note!!! If my muscles are too sore I skip a days workout or don't train them till they feel better. You can over train muscles and they will destroy themselves rather than build up when you do this. Also if you are doing the same thing over and over your muscles will adjust to them and you will no longer progress AKA the dreaded PLATEAU!!!! You have to switch things up every 2 weeks to keep shocking your muscles into non complacency.

Last edited:

SeeJaneDance

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly! If your goals are greater strength and flexibility, you should add a stretching program (yoga is good, but I think a dedicated set of stretches after your dance practice or after any other exercise is probably more efficient) and lift. The tips I've heard over and over again are to go with a weight that you can use for 10-15 reps, for three sets, and the last two or three reps ought to feel almost impossible, but doable. If you can do 15 reps easily, increase your weight. And don't be afraid to continue to increase your weight, as it gets easier. You won't bulk up as long as you don't increase your diet, you'll just increase definition.

Greek Bonfire

I try to use exercise in a multi-tasking way. For instance, at my lunch hour, I will go to the gym and ride the exercycle for about 25-30 minutes. Also, when the weather gets warmer, I'll ride my bike to the train station instead of driving about 3-4 days a week. This way I'm not digging into my other time of the day. Also, throughout the day, I'll do stretches by bending over to tie my shoes, retrive things all the floor, twists to get things out of drawers, sun salutes while waiting for food to heat in mnicrowave and putting things on a top shelf. All of those "little" moves make a difference.

Birdlight

thanks for all the good idea's folks. sorry, i didn't mean to post and then vanish, having internet issues this end, boo!

Sneaking in exercise througohut the day is a good plan. I'm just about to start a new job where there is a gym available so can do a half hour strength routine 3 days a week on my lunch hour, without cutting into my dance at home. Probel solved! So my new routine will be

AM- Daily :stretch/yoga (partner walks dog mornings and lunchtimes so my time is free'd up-lucky, I know)
Lunchtime- 3x week strength, 2x week cardio
Evening-daily walk dog (1hour), 5x week hourly dance practise.

So at the weekends it will only be stretching and dog walking so I have a 'rest' phase! Happy days.