Secret of The Grain

Taslin

The first i ever encounter i had regarding this film was actually actually kind of negative. You can see almost something that looks like a lapdance type of activity on many youtube clips. In context to the film it is my opinion that it is not disgraceful to BD-in context to the film.

Many reviewers have called it an overlylong belly dance scene. I love this scene. I think her style and costuming are definitely close to what i think is egyptian. Shes from a north african/french family (multi-cultural actually: Russians and Tunsinians i guess as well) and the point of the dance is that the stereotype sells to the shame of her family and the the delight of the, well, caucausian french (as one reviewer believes, and i think so as well as pertaining to this movie's plot) also the movies plot is heightening to something very climactic and serious as the dance gets more...more eh.

I actually loved her dance, even though i was like "oh gawd, really? really? that part of my body wouldnt be near the drummers face!" in context of the film after reading many breakdowns of it, i have a new found love for the scene.....and i love the music during the dance!!!!!

I dont know how to link videos, but its all over youtube. Id love to hear any thoughts or insight on this dance style, the family's culture, or if the dance offended you.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Am about to watch it, but decided to embed for you first. The first video doesn't show much just gives an idea of what the movie is about, the second is in Italian but shows more of the dancer. I couldn't find any better trailers on youtube, so i can't really comment on the movie, it looks interesting from just looking at these snippets.
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Taslin

thank you for the embeding! the belly dance scene is actually quite long, it seemed to me like it spanned over a good 10 minutes or more...maybe not, but honestly i think it could have been a full 10 mins. The clips i find online i didnt realize were the full clip as they go in and out of the dance-the movie does this. The climax is occurring during the dance.

I really did like the movie, it made me want to learn more about the dance, this area, these cultures, and cultural intersections period.

In the U.S. it either came on Sundance channel or the IFC independent film channel so i recorded it for free.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
thank you for the embeding! the belly dance scene is actually quite long, it seemed to me like it spanned over a good 10 minutes or more...maybe not, but honestly i think it could have been a full 10 mins. The clips i find online i didnt realize were the full clip as they go in and out of the dance-the movie does this. The climax is occurring during the dance.

I really did like the movie, it made me want to learn more about the dance, this area, these cultures, and cultural intersections period.

In the U.S. it either came on Sundance channel or the IFC independent film channel so i recorded it for free.

I wish it would come here, your post was the first time I have heard of it. I wonder if it is on DVD yet, I'll see if I can find it.
~Mosaic

Taslin

*Warning* no spoilers here, but it is a sad movie- not in just one circumstance, but throughout. To me it pulled my heart to see the main character struggle all for the sake of his family,and to see his family struggling.

But the languages and land intrigue me...im thinking about making a purchase of the film even though i have it on my dvr. Ive watched it again, i keep liking it more.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I gathered from the trailers that there would be sadness & struggle for the family. Hopefully I can find the DVD at a reasonable price as I am very interested in watching it.
~Mosaic

Crystalllized

A while back some customers at a restaurant where I dance raved about this movie and said the dancing was amazing. I haven't' seen it yet, but I'm still interested to see it. Thanks for posting the clips.

Amulya

Belly dancing in movie: the secret of the grain

Just watched the French movie "the secret of the grain", it got a long part of dancing in it. The movie is about a father who wants to start a cous cous boat restaurant.
The dancing is ok, the costume a bit meh, but it's for the first time I saw a long part of belly dancing in a non-ME movie!
Only shame is that at the end she starts dancing sleazily with a musician and eventually she got all of them drooling around her. Not good for the imagine of the dance.

Sirène

Just watched the French movie "the secret of the grain", it got a long part of dancing in it. The movie is about a father who wants to start a cous cous boat restaurant.
The dancing is ok, the costume a bit meh, but it's for the first time I saw a long part of belly dancing in a non-ME movie!
Only shame is that at the end she starts dancing sleazily with a musician and eventually she got all of them drooling around her. Not good for the imagine of the dance.

They have this at my local library. Is it a good movie or should i just skip to the dance scene?

ETA:
Found the dance scene on YT!

ETA2:
How strange. When I first viewed the thread the only post I could see was Amulya's. Now I see there was an entire conversation beforehand. Very strange.... :shok:

Last edited:

Amulya

How strange. When I first viewed the thread the only post I could see was Amulya's. Now I see there was an entire conversation beforehand. Very strange.... :shok:

That's because there apparently already was a thread about this movie so another moderator has moved my post to the old thread. We often do that to make things easier, not to have all seperate threads about the same thing :)

Just looking at that dance clip again, I started to get more and more annoyed by her facial expressions.

For those who have not seen the movie yet, don't read on...

But for those who have: did the father die at the end? I am just trying to think he didn't, that would be too sad (I hoped he only fainted). Everything was just working out in the end, I can't imagine he would be really dead :(