Show me your costumes! Past, present and future!

Amulya

I was coming across my old costume pictures and thought to put them together in an album. Then I thought it would be fun to have a thread like this :)

These are mine, not all my costumes, because I don't have pictures of everything, but these are a few of my past and present costumes:

Belly Dance Forums - Amulya's Album: Costumes Collection

they are not in chronological order (somehow it is not possible to re-arrange them afterwards)

Don't get shocked: my costume mistakes are in there too :lol:

Amulya

Nice ones! They suit you well :) I could never wear pink, somehow it looks strange on me and I love red costumes, but I'm not sure if red suits me. Red clothes do, but belly dance costumes are a whole different thing!

Belly Love

I was coming across my old costume pictures and thought to put them together in an album. Then I thought it would be fun to have a thread like this :)

These are mine, not all my costumes, because I don't have pictures of everything, but these are a few of my past and present costumes:

Belly Dance Forums - Amulya's Album: Costumes Collection

they are not in chronological order (somehow it is not possible to re-arrange them afterwards)

Don't get shocked: my costume mistakes are in there too :lol:

I love your "Green Turkish Costume" pic - sooooo pretty & vintage looking.

Amulya

That was indeed a nice cossie, but it had a major costume malfunction on stage due to weight gain (which was very needed, the weight gain, not the malfunction LOL) so I sold it. I have another green costume, but I don't know where the picture is and if it still fits... that is always an issue for me haha.

PoleDanceABCs

I don't think this counts but maybe it does?

I'm rather proud of my 6-hour harem pants that I made today (which I finished just in time for belly dance class). This is my first "made-by-me-for-belly-dance-purposes-only" piece and it feels good. I love to sew but I tend to take very long breaks in between sewing projects and this piece is getting my creative juices flowing again.

Sooo... I experimented with a sheer, olive-green, crinkle cotton and used an old pair of lounge pants as the lining. The only thing is that the lounge pants are crisp white and you can see their shape underneath the green cotton. :shok:

Came out rather well but next time I'm going to find better material; something that is light yet thick enough to work without a second layer or lining.

PS - There are more pics in my "Costumes & Creations" album.

Darshiva

They look like a lot of fun. Being able to see the lining will help your teacher keep an eye on your legs in class and be able to more easily correct you.

Greek Bonfire

Nice ones! They suit you well :) I could never wear pink, somehow it looks strange on me and I love red costumes, but I'm not sure if red suits me. Red clothes do, but belly dance costumes are a whole different thing!

I think red would suit you. You are right - it is a very strong color so for myself I break it up with a lot of bling, mostly silver. And my hair color is very strong so that does offset red for me. I liked the teal blue and the white on you very much. And the green goes well with your red hair.

LadyLoba

Beautiful!

In the one costume in the photo album, Amuyla reminded me of an American girl from the Old West.

I love white costumes. Out of my clothes, all but 2 of my dress shirts are white (and one of those is white with black and brown pinstripes), and I have 4 white casual shirts out of 6....not to mention most of my bras and panties are white....so I need more white in my wardrobe like I need more chemicals and sugar in my diet.....but I know I'lll want a white costume anyway. :) :)

XelaHayam

hope these links work...

this was my first personal one
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...7_84779045035_741005035_1890095_1871607_n.jpg

this was my first troupe one (very sh*t. i know.)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._308553655035_741005035_3532763_6914651_n.jpg

this is my current personal one
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...7_85790935035_741005035_1908958_4605979_n.jpg

and this is our current troupe one (i picked it lol - but we're working on getting new skirts coz these ones are much to sheer for our liking)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...735121980107_1300291043_1961603_3565519_n.jpg

oh and this is a silly little one for a dance my mum and i did together over thanksgiving
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._459723925035_741005035_5663409_6484496_n.jpg

just got a new hand-me-down one thats 30 years old but still in great condition... i have to work on re-fitting it though.... pictures up soon ;)

Amulya

Beautiful costumes! Is your first one a Neckelmanns? I am curious to see the 30 year old costume, must be of super quality to last that long :)

XelaHayam

My first one was actually a "carnival" costume from brazill; they have bigger beads then belly dance costumes, but I think they look similar enough & they're way cheaper if you can get someone visiting brazil to just pick one up from one of the vendors directly.

My first troupe costumes was an aweful aweful over-priced thing we found online. You can't see it in the picture but the top was a one-size-fits-all crop top. The fabric was aweful and uggh! It was more like a halloween costume to look like a belly dancer than a belly dancing costume. Us being a student troupe however, we have to pick a cheap costume everyone can afford, so this was was we found originally, but for 85 dollars? i thought it was worth wayy less than that! Our current costumes, while not the *best* quality, look much much better and were only 65 - a great deal. They won't last very long (the red sequins are painted, so its already wearing off) but i like them.