So another new to the forum

psychobilly5

Hello everyone,

I just joined last night and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Carrie and I live in Savannah, GA. I've been a student of this dance since April of 1997. I started dancing for charity events in 1999 and eventually started my own troupe a few years after that. I started Cabaret with turkish and folkloric being what called to me. My favorite dancer during those formidable years was Eva Cernik. In 2003 I started taking ITS classes and fell in love with tribal. I also discovered the Indigo. My ITS teacher was influenced by The Indigo as well as Gothic Belly Dance and FCBD (I know strange/interesting mix). But she eventually moved away after about 4 months. Since then I have purchased nearly all of FCBD's instructional dvd's, taken several workshops with Carolena and Megha, Became General Skills Certified in ATS - FCBD format. I've also taken workshops with Rachel Brice, Ariellah, Asharah, and a few others in the more fusion style. This past summer I took a hiatus from dancing but am ready to get back into it. There are three of us who will be getting back together to dance again starting in December. We (with a male dancer who has recently moved to ATL and so isn't a part of our group anymore sadly) started a troupe called Painted Graces about a year ago. It was connected with a not-for-profit art collective (though PG was for profit) that my male dancer friend started 2 years ago called Hecate's Darlings Art Collective. I don't know yet what's going to happen with it (I imagine he'll take it with him since the remaining directors and affiliators don't really know anything about running a non-profit organization lol) to Atlanta.

We, once we start dancing again plan to do half of our practice nights Tribal Fusion (Choreographies), and the other half will be me teaching ATS. Eventually I'd love for us to be proficient in performing ATS. I really love Tribal and Tribal Fusion if you can't tell lol.

I still am revisiting my cabaret roots though via the Society for Creative Anacronism (SCA). For those that know what this is all about...I just recently became an apprentice for dance. I wish to learn more about the history of dance and to submit performing arts (dance) in arts and science competitions and such. My main area of study though is India however I'm also facinated with 16th Century Ottoman dance and culture. I love to do illumination and am learning calligraphy.

On a personal day to day career type note...I'm an animal keeper at a wildlife center. So you probably can guess it, i'm an avid animal lover, though I do eat meat, have no problems with hunting, will wear leather as long as it wasn't an endangered species lol.

Okay so sometimes I ramble on and on as well. I don't tend to post often (many people usually beat me to a post and so I don't add to the thread if I'll just be redundant :) But I'm hoping I can meet some friendly posters, maybe even impart my own personal experiences as well as learn something new. I just love to learn new things regarding this dance (as well as other subjects)

Hope you all have a great day!

Carrie
sometimes known as Maya

Yshka

Hi and welcome to the forum!! Looks like we'll see a lot more of you and I definitely look forward to reading your posts!

Happy posting and dancing from Europe! :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. I am sure that you will find you can be very helpful to other members with your experience, look forward to your contributions. Good luck with getting your troupe/dancing career back up and running.

Bellydancing and animal carer what a wonderful combination - really enjoyable and amazing ways to earn your keep so to speak:D
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Welcome, Carrie/Maya. I look forward to reading more from you. What an interesting background you have! My daughter is currently enrolled in an animal tech program with the goal of some day working with elephants and other exotics. She is not, alas, a belly dancer.