Spin-off: Good things about America

da Sage

Are we all really talking about Thanksgiving, here?

I think we can safely separate the holiday's role as propaganda, from the holiday's role in most people's lives as spent with friends and family.

Frankly, if it weren't for the propaganda role of Thanksgiving, most school curriculums would have given extremely short shrift to any mention of Native Americans. At least the traditional presentation of the holiday informs young children that there were people here, before we immigrants showed up.

EDIT: Let's hear it for free public education, however flawed it happens to be, it's there for everyone.

Makeda Maysa

Okay, I'm going to leave this alone because I really don't want to get into the representation of people of color in the history books.

da Sage

Okay, I'm going to leave this alone because I really don't want to get into the representation of people of color in the history books.

My father had no idea who Harriet Tubman was, until my mother and I told him. He's got plenty of education, just not in history. In comparision, I recently went to a party full of young adults where people were stumped for the governor's name (maybe it was the beer:rolleyes:), but everyone knew Harriet Tubman.

My point is that the teaching of history has gotten better and more balanced over the years, and with a base amount of education (free to children whose parents enroll them in school), anyone can teach themselves.

EDIT: Let's hear it for the Public Library systems of the USA!

KuteNurse

You know, after thinking about this topic for a while, I have decided that these two issues are seperate. Thanksgiving is a holiday that many if not all North American's celebrate. I happen to have a friend and coworker who brings her daughter to cook for all the homeless people every single Thanksgiving. It is not a holiday to celebrate the white man and American Indians wars. It is to celebrate the feast. It does not matter how long the white man and indians were at peace. What matters is the time spent with family and friends. I am sorry if I disagree with other's opinions. But today, in the modern world, Thanksgiving rates at the top of my list for my favorite holidays. Now on another topic, this thread is about positive things about America. If you want to debate this more, bring it up on the negative American thread. Have a great day:)

Caroline_afifi

My daughter has just come back from the States and brought me some chocolate... Hersheys!

She could not find See's anywhere and no one had heard of it. Perhaps I have not tried Sees after all?
Is it hard to find in Florida?
she was in Miami and Orlando etc.

Shanazel

Maybe Sees is a western chain. I have seen it in Colorado, Montana, and California. One of the retirement homes in my town sells it as a fund raiser, and I buy a box for the midwinter holidays every year.

Aisha Azar

Sees chocolates

Maybe Sees is a western chain. I have seen it in Colorado, Montana, and California. One of the retirement homes in my town sells it as a fund raiser, and I buy a box for the midwinter holidays every year.

Dear Shanazel and Caroline,
We could look it up on the NET and see where it is sold. I have not lived "Out East" for many years and I really do not remember if it is sold there or not. I am going to Maine in September and maybe I will look for it then.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

...and so the belly dance warrior goddess goes bravely forth into the Far East (at least it's as far east as you can get from WY and still be in the country) in search of chocolate to nourish the hearts and souls of her acolytes... write when you find chocolate covered toffees and caramels!

KuteNurse

...and so the belly dance warrior goddess goes bravely forth into the Far East (at least it's as far east as you can get from WY and still be in the country) in search of chocolate to nourish the hearts and souls of her acolytes... write when you find chocolate covered toffees and caramels!
Chocolate covered everything!

Aisha Azar

Chocolate

Dear Shanazel,
If they don't have Sees, perhaps they will have some other delectable chocolate foodstuff that I can report back about, much like Ponce De Leone and the Fountian of Chocolate....er....Youth.
Regards,
A'isha

Kiadorin

I'm an East Coaster and I do think we have See's chocolate sellers out here. It's one of the things my boss likes to bring in to the office occasionally. Not quite sure where she gets it, but I'll ask.

EDIT: Okay, turns out I was wrong. She picks up the candies when she travels or when people bring them to her from the west. They're not actually sold out here.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Sees, etc.

I'm an East Coaster and I do think we have See's chocolate sellers out here. It's one of the things my boss likes to bring in to the office occasionally. Not quite sure where she gets it, but I'll ask.

Dear Kiadorin,
Am I mistaken, or have you been away for awhile? Maybe we have just been busy in separate parts of the forum? Anyway, if you have been gone, welcome back and its nice to see your Avatar again!
Regards,
A'isha

Kiadorin

Sort of. I've been trying to kick my internet habit because browsing forums at work was killing my productivity. Not here as much as I used to be, but I do stop in to read every so often, even if I don't post anything. And thanks :D

Shanazel

Oh, Kiadorin, I'd love to think of your boss lurking around on the streets of some large nameless East Coast city, buying contraband West Coast Sees chocolate from mobsters and underscover agents...

Dev

No body mentioned Pop culture and MTV yet,

You can hate or loath those two but they are an intrigal part of growing up generations , I think.

I am 30 years old, so things may have changed with the new generations and I did not notice. Do they watch discovery and geographic now?