Spin-off: Good things about America

nicknack

Why has nobody mentioned comics? Marvel, DC, Dark Horse... come on the X Men is one of my favourite American inventions (yes I am a geek).

I'm also going to have to put in a vote for peanut butter m&m's and big red gum.

Aisha Azar

Bevin Boys

Teenaged boys too young to fight sometimes replaced the adult men who joined the forces from the coal mines. Named after Ernie Bevin the politician under whose dept it happened.
Just as the Land girls replaced farm hands who had gone off to war.

Der Lizaj,
How horrid. Yes, we had and have the same thing here, with children taking the places of adults. .... along with sending our children, now of both sexes, off to war the minute they leave high school. It's another thing that has gone on forever, hasn't ut. I'm thinking of the Children's Crusades, which was one of the most disgusting ideas I can even think of.
Regards,
A'isha

Aniseteph

For info - the Bevin boys weren't selected because of being too young to fight, they were randomly selected from men age 18-41 who were being conscripted into the Services. "Boys" perhaps has more youthful connotations these days than in the 1940's.

Back to topic - Death Valley :D I saw a programme about it the other day - want to go back!

Aisha Azar

Children's Crusades

What was this, I have not come across this before?

Dear Caroline,
During the time of he Crusades in the 1100 and 1200s, there was a French kid named Stephen, about 12 years old, if memory serves who decided Jesus had called him to and gather other children to fight in the Holy Land. This was in the very early 1200s, I think. He went to the King and the King ignored him, but many other adults either encouraged him or followed him to the Holy Land. He gathered up thousands of children and this little idea caught on and spread to Germany, where other children did the same. Many of them died on the way and others were sold into slavery. I have read in several places that the Pope of the time condoned this, but in other places it says the Church did not, though it is known priests accompanied the children.You would think that this would have been a lesson to future generations about letting children go to war, but no. Governments all over the world send them to get killed still today.
I think you can learn more about the Childrens' Crusades on the net or in an encyclopedia. I can not remember everything about them.
Regards,
A'isha

da Sage

Why has nobody mentioned comics? Marvel, DC, Dark Horse... come on the X Men is one of my favourite American inventions (yes I am a geek).

I'm also going to have to put in a vote for peanut butter m&m's and big red gum.

And D&D and Magic were invented in the US, too. :) <-happy geek icon

Reen.Blom

Dear Caroline,
During the time of he Crusades in the 1100 and 1200s, there was a French kid named Stephen, about 12 years old, if memory serves who decided Jesus had called him to and gather other children to fight in the Holy Land. This was in the very early 1200s, I think. He went to the King and the King ignored him, but many other adults either encouraged him or followed him to the Holy Land. He gathered up thousands of children and this little idea caught on and spread to Germany, where other children did the same. Many of them died on the way and others were sold into slavery. I have read in several places that the Pope of the time condoned this, but in other places it says the Church did not, though it is known priests accompanied the children.You would think that this would have been a lesson to future generations about letting children go to war, but no. Governments all over the world send them to get killed still today.
I think you can learn more about the Childrens' Crusades on the net or in an encyclopedia. I can not remember everything about them.
Regards,
A'isha

Just remember what was considered "adult" those days and now is a different story.... werent Romeo and Juliette 16 and 14? Girls as young as 12 would get married.... And a person of 50 years of age would be considered ancient...LOL

lizaj

Der Lizaj,
How horrid. Yes, we had and have the same thing here, with children taking the places of adults. .... along with sending our children, now of both sexes, off to war the minute they leave high school. It's another thing that has gone on forever, hasn't ut. I'm thinking of the Children's Crusades, which was one of the most disgusting ideas I can even think of.
Regards,
A'isha

Actually no one forced them and most were proud to do the work of grown men and boys went to work at 14 then .(They went to work at 15 when I was a teenager and many of my friends married at 16 and 17).
War makes all kinds of unpleasant things necessary especially when you have your backs to the wall as we did then .
My mother, however, found independence and trousers and met my dad thanks to WW2:D
Ah the Children's crusade..again kids (most certainly of working age then and valuable at home )ran off to follow a child and the Pope himself tried to get then to turn back.
As to disgusting what else were the Crusades at all? A load of Norman second sons trying to land grab in the Outremer. And to set about destroying a more civilised and advanced way of life .:( In between Crusades seeing the sense of settling down and living like the Muslim Arabs.

lizaj

For info - the Bevin boys weren't selected because of being too young to fight, they were randomly selected from men age 18-41 who were being conscripted into the Services. "Boys" perhaps has more youthful connotations these days than in the 1940's.

Back to topic - Death Valley :D I saw a programme about it the other day - want to go back!

I think a goodly few were younger and of course miners being valuable to the war effort could chose to stay down the mines as far as I know.
The school leaving age was 14 then! It only went up to 15 when I was at school and then 16 and for many kids what a disaster that was..they would rather have been out working !

lizaj

Just remember what was considered "adult" those days and now is a different story.... werent Romeo and Juliette 16 and 14? Girls as young as 12 would get married.... And a person of 50 years of age would be considered ancient...LOL

I experienced some very childish behaviour a year or so ago. I called a girl on a mobile phone about a workshops place and got a revolting answer message. Her friend told me she let her boyfriend put in on.
"Ah well, she's only 20 years old you see"
Wot...at 20, I had been working for 3 years, was engaged and was married a year later (and considered to be late off the mark at that ) and unusual in that my babies didn't come along in the first year.
Dear me I thought ONLY 20...and we allow 18 years olds to vote and fight for us....if they are like her and him God help us :lol:

Aisha Azar

War, etc.

Actually, we send 17-year-olds to war and we're the only country in Europe to recruit 16-year-olds. :( We send children to fight and we think we're civilised ...

Dear Suheir,
That was my point exactly!! One of the nice things about America is that we do let kids have a childhood here MOST of the time, though not for all of us. I had my childhood as an adult!
Regards,
A'isha

Reen.Blom

I experienced some very childish behaviour a year or so ago. I called a girl on a mobile phone about a workshops place and got a revolting answer message. Her friend told me she let her boyfriend put in on.
"Ah well, she's only 20 years old you see"
Wot...at 20, I had been working for 3 years, was engaged and was married a year later (and considered to be late off the mark at that ) and unusual in that my babies didn't come along in the first year.
Dear me I thought ONLY 20...and we allow 18 years olds to vote and fight for us....if they are like her and him God help us :lol:

Yep I was wondering if that (voting and fighting) together with selling of alcohol and cigarets should go up to 21.... :think:

Anyhow my grandma got married when she was 16 and was married a lifetime. She said she had several siblings and had to be out of the house starting her own household. Now you go like.... WHAT??? Married at 16? Should be playing with dolls still....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Caroline_afifi

Dear Suheir,
That was my point exactly!! One of the nice things about America is that we do let kids have a childhood here MOST of the time, though not for all of us. I had my childhood as an adult!
Regards,
A'isha

Me too, I had two kids under 20!

you can proabaly tell I have a naughty streak..

I have under age mother issues :lol:

Aisha Azar

Kids, etc

Me too, I had two kids under 20!

you can proabaly tell I have a naughty streak..

I have under age mother issues :lol:

Dear Caroline,
There is nothing like a good naughty streak to keep life interesting.... but I am a firm believer in birth control. I moved in with my husband at 18, we married two week after I turned 19 and had our daughter when I was 20. We celebrated our 36th anniversary on March 18th. I also have under age mother issues and believe that all kids should be extremely well educated about birth control and given it free if necessary.
Regards,
A'isha

Caroline_afifi

Dear Caroline,
There is nothing like a good naughty streak to keep life interesting.... but I am a firm believer in birth control. I moved in with my husband at 18, we married two week after I turned 19 and had our daughter when I was 20. We celebrated our 36th anniversary on March 18th. I also have under age mother issues and believe that all kids should be extremely well educated about birth control and given it free if necessary.
Regards,
A'isha

I totally agree! my two eldest are now 24 and 22 and both are sensible. I am more careful these days as I have visions of being an overage mother too!
just my luck :lol: