The easiest style to learn?

I have been taking belly dancing classes for a while now, I love it alote. My friends thought it was great that I was doing it, but Every time I talk to one of them they ask this one question all the time......( What style of belly dance is the easiest to learn?) I really dont know how to answer them because I think that all the styles are differant and that they all have aspects that are hard to learn and it takes lots of class time and practice to learn. What do you all think?? I am curious????????? Is there one style that is easier then the other to learn?:confused::)

Yame

What is easy for one person might be hard for another. We all have different aptitudes and backgrounds.

onela

I can't really figure out which one is easiest, but speaking for myself, I found ATS the hardest to study because it's terrifying to lead, more pressure. I also find tribal fusion tricky because I'm not good at some of that genre's arm conventions. Sorry! That wasn't what you asked, but I haven't had much of a chance to dabble in different styles- I mainly study AmCab, I *think* a previous teacher had a very Lebanese flavour, if I can help it I am drawn to Egyptian but I don't have enough opportunity to study it to definitively say that I think it's the "easiest" (I suspect for me it is).

Kashmir

The one that isn't belly dance but just a lot of wiggling around :D

Seriously, if it really is "belly dance" the basic movements are pretty much the same. You have to first learn to control your body, to create clean movements that look effortless and be able to transition between them. Sure, some styles have more of one type of movement than another. For instance, rib work is rare in Egyptian - as are Indian snake arms (you'll see shoulder rolls but not the tightly isolated arm work). Yet, Egyptian uses some very tight controlled hip and shimmy work which you don't need in other styles. So, if you find snake arms easy and hip chonks hard - you'll probably find Turkish or AmCab easier than Egyptian. Someone else will find the opposite.

But the generation of movement is only the start. You need to learn how to interpret the music (both in terms of moving to it and its cultural associations). Many styles use choreography which you need to be able to memorize and make your own. Most styles mean you need to learn about a set of related folkloric styles (movement, music, costuming).

LilithNoor

The one with a good teacher!

For real beginners, style is basically irrelevant (with a few exceptions, like ATS), it's only once you've got the basic moves down that you can start to distinguish different styles.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

The one with a good teacher!

For real beginners, style is basically irrelevant (with a few exceptions, like ATS), it's only once you've got the basic moves down that you can start to distinguish different styles.

I think that bears repeating. A good foundation is the basis for all the styles.

I'd also say go with whatever kind of music really moves you. If you're totally into Turkish Rom music, you may not be overly thrilled with specializing in and focusing on Egyptian style (with its much different music).

onela

I'd also say go with whatever kind of music really moves you. If you're totally into Turkish Rom music, you may not be overly thrilled with specializing in and focusing on Egyptian style (with its much different music).

Great point about the music. If somebody has little to no experience with middle eastern music (or world music generally) then it can be a bit intimidating.

I don't think one style is easier over the other, it depends more on the person. Though if you studied one style for awhile and than switched, learning another may be difficult at first. I sometimes have to be corrected by my ATS teacher as some of the moves I do is closer to American Cabaret and have to pay more attention to what I do.

I say pick the style that appeals to you the most, if you have that option and make sure you have a good teacher.

Taslin

I also dont think there is one style that takes less effort, practice, or knowledge.

When i was merely looking into getting into dancing (before i ever did) i remember realizing for the first time that there were different styles, and then going from wanting to do the style that i found the most "typical" to what i had envisioned in my mind it was turkish american caberet to loving the intrigue of egyptian. I then wanted to start learning the easiest to begin with-and quickly realized in the end that they were all hard and took effort training education and that one's body may just take to one style over others. I really thought "oh i learn the easier styles first and work up to the harder ones"-eh, doesnt quite work that way,lol.

I really think there is no shortcut, to respectfully execute all of the styles requires effort training, and eductaion. I dont think there is an easier style, but i DO think tribal arms kill me!

Last edited:

PoleDanceABCs

I'll just say they are all hard. ^_^

And that goes for any dance genre. You are teaching your mind and your body to control everything. Calm and clear mind is best for dancing and that isn't easy. Controlling specific muscles to create a certain effect isn't easy. Even fox-trot, which looks as easy as a breeze, has its tricky spots. So don't go for easy... More than anything go for the style that suits you the most. What are you mostly drawn to?

I'm taking classes in Egyptian style to get a base in the classics but my ultimate goal is Tribal because I like modern fusion dance.