Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Suzanne Azhaar

I wouldn't need to wear heels to do a face plant in that kind/length of skirt! So, which looks better faceplant wise: barefoot, step on front hem and fall forward -=OR=- heel step on back hem and fall backwards?

I actually saw one of these in a live show, had an interesting conversation with the dancer afterwards about required technique. I don't remember the deets now, but it involved not picking up your feet much if at all. Then there are those crazy "long tail" skirts some Flamenco dancers wear!
How does one dance and not pick up their feet? Slide maybe? For an entire performance? :unsure: Yuck.

Shanazel

I'm not a big fan of leg ornamentation; it distracts my somewhat flighty attention with thoughts of, "What the hell has she got on her leg?" While I'm trying to figure it out between flashes of skirt, I miss the main part of the dance. I don't need to wear a long skirt in order to slip and fall- most mishaps for me have come when I stepped on a veil. I swear, veils were out to get me my whole dance life.

The red beladi dress fascinated me- the design made her look like a perfect hour glass. I want to grow up and look like that.

My pet skirt peeve: skirts that are shorter in the back than in the front. Do not hem your skirt until it has hung in place for a few days. My favorite way of shortening skirts was to shorten from the top to accommodate my curved butt and flat stomach (ah, those were the days) and avoid that too long in front thing. I could also do the adjustments alone instead of needing someone to mark the hem at the base of the skirt.

Suzanne Azhaar

I'm not a big fan of leg ornamentation; it distracts my somewhat flighty attention with thoughts of, "What the hell has she got on her leg?" While I'm trying to figure it out between flashes of skirt, I miss the main part of the dance. I don't need to wear a long skirt in order to slip and fall- most mishaps for me have come when I stepped on a veil. I swear, veils were out to get me my whole dance life.

The red beladi dress fascinated me- the design made her look like a perfect hour glass. I want to grow up and look like that.

My pet skirt peeve: skirts that are shorter in the back than in the front. Do not hem your skirt until it has hung in place for a few days. My favorite way of shortening skirts was to shorten from the top to accommodate my curved butt and flat stomach (ah, those were the days) and avoid that too long in front thing. I could also do the adjustments alone instead of needing someone to mark the hem at the base of the skirt.
You could do the adjustments alone?! I've never managed that.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
For a good part of my dance life, I had to. I didn't say I always did them well. ;)
I got a gizmo that shoots chalk dust out of a nozzle when you squeeze a bulb. Position it at the desired height, and do a slow turn in the skirt while pressing the bulb. Bob's your uncle!

Greek Bonfire

I've performed flamenco, and there is a lot of kicking around of those long tails on the skirts. However, in these modern times, they don't wear them so much.

Amine

Hi everyone, you all have great costume ideas! 😄

Personally, in terms of costume, I dress quite soberly, with a 25 yard skirt at the bottom and a t-shirt at the top, the skirt is the first part of my costume, I'm waiting to find a top with jewelry.

Shanazel

Hi, Amine. Nice to see you back here. I was always pretty conservative in my choice of costumes, too. It was always a challenge to balance my "disappear into a crowd and don't draw attention" personality and the need to focus audience attention as a performer.

I watched a video of a very good Russian dancer yesterday (can't think of her name off hand) who wore a gorgeous yellow and apricot costume that puddled up at her feet. She dealt with it beautifully, but it still looked like a) she'd borrowed a costume from a taller dancer and hadn't had time to tack the hem up, or b) she'd decided at the last minute not to wear her platform heels.

Does anyone know if THIS is our Australian Dev who used to be a significant part of OD's community?

The following aren't from Dev's site. Just food for provoking thoughts. I'd like to see the back of the purple one. If the other side of the skirt is equally bare, there's liable to be a costume malfunction waiting to happen. I'm not crazy about the decorations on the coral costume, but I like the style.

aa.jpgaaaa.jpg

Shanazel

I just looked at the Russian dancer's costume again. Maybe it's more yellow and cantaloupe than yellow and coral.

Shanazel

I was looking at the coral costume just now and it occurred to me that it is my "don't look at me" personality butting in. It's the color that makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind the decorations if the costume was black or dark green or aubergine. :LOL: