Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Jane

pp-bellydance-overskirt?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_query=bellydance&ga_page=7&ga_view_type=gallery

"I want to wear something named the 'Von Schtupp' in public." Said no belly dancer ever. :shok: Think they know what that means? ROFLMAO

jenc

pp-bellydance-overskirt?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_query=bellydance&ga_page=7&ga_view_type=gallery

"I want to wear something named the 'Von Schtupp' in public." Said no belly dancer ever. :shok: Think they know what that means? ROFLMAO

What does it mean and what was it?

Aniseteph

Tan Handmade Real Leather Holster steampunk burning by Vontoon[0]=tags&ga_search_query=bellydance&ga_page=6&ga_view_type=gallery

Read the item description. :confused:

I need a leather holster to carry my chapstick for those future dystopian underground belly dance meetings? Gosh, I thought I'd just put it on before I left.

:rolleyes: Oh dear, Steampunk Whimsicality. I was more bothered by "dabloon" than gratuitous tagging which on Etsy will drive you nuts. Also, "ideal compliment to any outfit"? I think not. It will play merry hell with the lines of your latest Eman Zaki, and needs more glitter.

Ah. The link didn't work but I tracked down That Overskirt. Googling "Von Schtupp" gets you Blazing Saddles references. Minus the "von" confirmed why it's a funny name. Thought so. Not really a schtupp-me sort of skirt though, is it? :confused:

Hello jenc! <waves> nice to see you again!

Jane

Schtupp means to fu*k. Maybe it's a burlesque thing. Burlesque is the new steampunk of the belly dance community.:lol: I could make that "skirt" in five minutes for about $2. Not that I'd wear it.

Last edited:

Ariadne

"Featured on etsy's halloween ideas newsletter in 2011!"​
Makes sense. When else would you wear it?

Maybe it's a burlesque thing.
Nah it's a Blazing Saddles reference, the link Aniseteph gave says so. And that is one of the many reasons I have never seen that movie.

I agree, 5 minutes for $2, max.

Jane

Nah it's a Blazing Saddles reference, the link Aniseteph gave says so. And that is one of the many reasons I have never seen that movie.

I agree, 5 minutes for $2, max.​

In the movie, Lilli Von Schtupp is a German burlesque entertainer in a Western town. The movie is actually pretty funny if you have that sense of humor.

SeeJaneDance

I could totally see a fusion dancer working that animal costume for Halloween or something.

I appreciate that it's at least well made.

That's my issue with a lot of these Etsy things. It's the sort of thing I'd cry over, if I made it and it came out like that. Is that too mean to say? (I'm not naming anything in particular, because it is a super mean statement, but I think you all know what I'm talking about.) I have a much higher standard for workmanship than that. Especially for something I'm expected to both spend money on and wear in public. If it's for a high school theater production, that's one thing. But for a grown woman to wear some of this stuff in public...I'd be embarrassed. Especially if I was also trying to present myself as a professional performer.

Aniseteph

Burlesque is the new steampunk of the belly dance community.

But I thought steampunk was the new burlesque of the belly dance community... :confused: ... or is belly dance the new steampunk of.... oh never mind.

Do you have to groom those hairypants?

Jane

But I thought steampunk was the new burlesque of the belly dance community... :confused: ... or is belly dance the new steampunk of.... oh never mind.

Do you have to groom those hairypants?

LOL who knows? Victorian and Edwardian seem all the rage for whatever reason.

Only one way to clean the tribal cave girl costume:

Ariadne

:lol:

In the movie, Lilli Von Schtupp is a German burlesque entertainer in a Western town. The movie is actually pretty funny if you have that sense of humor.

Oh, I see what you mean. :doh:

I'm afraid I don't have that sense of humor nor do I care for burlesque. All the same I can't see any self respecting dancer who does wearing something so... amateur.

Munniko

Is there a random bird in that picture as well? I'm just gonna pretend that they mean't "I Dream of Jeanie" cosplay.

Amulya

That bird is pretty random indeed, I didn't notice that before and what is in her hand, how does that object stay? If you look closely she isn't really holding it :think:. There wasn't any bigger picture of this so we will never know.

Aniseteph

I think it's a bird facing towards the camera, perched on her left index finger. We've had the birdcage-balancing clip and that one where the dancer has a bird sitting on her bra... this is clearly following that established genre.

Or a creepy fetish doll is levitating up from behind her hand.