Translation Natacha Atlas - Haram

Moon

Hi, I'm looking fot the translation of "Haram" by Natacha Atlas.
Thanks very much in advance!

samsied

Moon, have you tried her website? It includes a lot of translations or translation summaries for her songs. The site is a little hard to navigate--you need to pick which langage you want to view the website in, then you select the icon for "music and lyrics", then go to the appropriate album and see if the song you want is listed. I am not sure whether this particular song's translation is listed on her site, but many are.

The website is found at: www.natachaatlas.net

Moon

Thanks for the link Samsied. The lyrics of this song were not available, unfortunately :(

nuringa

were you looking for this song? (unfortunately it was saved on my computer and i didn't write down where it came from :((( so i can't credit the translator - sorry!
------------------------------------------------

Haram Aleyk (Have Mercy On Me) - Natacha Atlas

Yanee khalaas mush kedah….haram aleyk kuli dah
It's not going to work this way….have mercy on me

Mush kefayah lail w nhaar….tar, khaleat aali taar
Is it enough for you that you've taken my mind day and night

Ana meen…ana fean…ana leah….ana eah
Who am I…where am I…..why me…what is me….

Aha…aha…aha..
Oh…oh ..oh…oh….

Albi beybki leah….w nta aasi aleah
Why is my heart crying…. and you are so harsh on him

W leah bta'amel kedah…ta'abt alby eah
Why you're doing this to me….why you made my heart tired

Balef warak ya wala….mn daar l daar l daar
I'm looking for you from house to house to house

Da ana albi aayed nar…mn ghourbah ya gabbar
My heart is burning with fire from being away from you

Ana meen…ana fean…ana leah….ana eah
Who am I…where am I…..why me…what is me….

Ya leal…ana meen….ana fean….ya bni khalaas
Oh nights…who am I…..where am I…please let it be over.

"Wala" in the song is a slang for a young man.
"ya leal" is very common in songs. It's when lovers sing for nights that keep them up thinking about their lovers

Didi

Dramatic lyrics...

Wow...Has anybody ever noticed that those Arabic lyrics are very dramatic? I am amazed sometimes, especially to imagine that pop songs are basically classic poetry. This may be a stupid question, but are the people who listen to these songs also as melodramatic/romantic in everyday life?? (And before anybody says this, I realize you cannot stereotype an entire group of people, but you can make some cultural comparisons...) Or is this just extremely exaggerated artistic license?

Whatever the case, I like it. It's so exotic to me...

Didi

MiaMi

Banned
What languages are most prevalent for the belly dancing lexicon. I am curious what cultures these words stem from. Thanks...

-Mia

Moon

Do you mean in what languages most songs suitable for bellydance are? I think Arabic and Turkish. The lyrics above are arabic.

Safran

Didi, maybe the reason why Arabic pop songs are so dramatic, is because of the special characteristics of the Arab language? As I understand, the Arabic language is very rich and colourful. So maybe there is just no other way to express yourself in Arabic than so lyrically :lol:

No, as for the emotionality of people, I'd also like to "blame" it on the character of Arabic... I strongly believe in the theory that the way and scope you percieve, understand and think depends on the languages you know. Different languages have different scopes/dimensions... So, having Arabic, as a very emotion-filled language to express yourself, in a way you'll be more emotional as well... Dunno, how does that theory sound? :think:

Didi

Actually, marikuu, I love that theory! I started studying languages when I was younger because I was convinced I couldn't get "inside" my friends' heads to understand their point of view without understanding the structure their thoughts arose in. I know this sounds weird.

But after becoming fluent in another language and living in that culture for an extended period of time, I came to see that I was right... and I was wrong. It does help to understand the content/structure of someone's language to properly understand them, especially if it's backed up with cultural information and experience, and yet... people are so much alike everywhere you go. We share a basic core Being, for lack of a better term, that shines through if you don't get too attached to the words and labels. With some basics, we can understand one another merely because we're human beings, if we're open-minded enough. As an American raised without any contact with other cultures until I was 16 (and perhaps also a dose of old-fashioned Southern zenophobia), it was quite a shock to realize this. It seems to be obvious to those who interact with other cultures right next door, like in Europe. (I'm so jealous...our massive, relatively-homogenous culture is so limiting.:()

And, of course, there is always the danger of stereotyping others based on those linguistic/cultural structures, as well, of missing the person beneath. As long as we approach it as the structural framework of someone's past experience/background and not the person him or herself, I think learning someone else's language can be a great help. It's only when one makes the mistake of identifying someone with their label, i.e., he's so French, that it gets dicey...

I'm sort of babbling. Hope this made some sense! ;)

Have you studied Arabic? I'm thinking about taking the plunge and enrolling in class this fall...

Didi

Moon

Yes I think you're right! I have some home-made cd from my teacher and that said the song's called "haram" :rolleyes: