Tribal Fusion, or other fusion styles, can annyone recommend...

Amulya

good DVDs? I prefer performance DVDs. I looked at the fantasy belly dance series from World Dance New York, but they only contain 3 performances for each DVD and they are instructional and not really what I'm looking for.
I really wish The Indigo would produce a performance DVD!

da Sage

Have you seen the "Gothic Belly Dance" DVD? Review: Zorba's Video Reviews: Gothic Bellydance

Its a WDNY release also, but its strictly performance...

If she's looking for Gothic Belly Dance, I think WDNY's second collection is much better overall. Although it also has weird numbers that made us go WHAT?!

Amazon.com: Gothic Bellydance - Revelations: Gothic Bellydance-Revelations, World Dance New York: Movies & TV

Getting tipsy with your girlfriends makes watching this video even more fun!

Bellydance Underworld has some great numbers on it, but it's been a while since I've seen it, and I think it's kind of short.

Amazon.com: Bellydance Underworld: Various Artists: Movies & TV

Amulya

I've got the first Gothic Belly Dance DVD, but the second seems like a instructional DVD to me. I had a look around and found several DVDs:

-Shunyata Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Performance DVD
-Comprehensive Choreography Notes for "Arabian Spices"
-Evolution - Tribal Fusion Bellydance Performances DVD
-Tribal Fusions
-Tribal Revolution Tribal Fusion BellyDance Performances

Wonder if anyone seen these?
And I also wanted to know if anyone has seen the Fantasy Belly Danmce series? Are they worth buying? They only got 3 dances per DVD

da Sage

I've got the first Gothic Belly Dance DVD, but the second seems like a instructional DVD to me. I had a look around and found several DVDs:

The one I linked to above is the second collection of GBD performances from WDNY, and is not an instructional.;)

And I also wanted to know if anyone has seen the Fantasy Belly Danmce series? Are they worth buying? They only got 3 dances per DVD

I'm holding off on these for now, since I am focusing on a simpler level of dance. There are actually 3 choreographies taught per DVD, which is pretty impressive for an instructional. And of course the instructors perform the dances. If you want a performance-only Fantasy Bellydance DVD, you could watch this new release and tell us what you think:

Amazon.com: Fantasy Bellydance: Fantasy Bellydance, World Dance New York: Movies & TV

maria_harlequin

This looks like a GREAT DVD and I'm planning to buy it in the near future. It's more ATS and even has Colleena Shakti performing an Odissi dance than Tribal Fusion but you might be interested.

staranise

-Shunyata Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Performance DVD
-Comprehensive Choreography Notes for "Arabian Spices"
-Evolution - Tribal Fusion Bellydance Performances DVD
-Tribal Fusions
-Tribal Revolution Tribal Fusion BellyDance Performances

Wonder if anyone seen these?

Hi Amulya, I've seen evolution once and I own tribal fusions, "magic" in the fantasy Bellydance series and also Bellydance Underworld which is similar to Evolution and Revolution. I would Like to purchase Revolution at some point but I'm trying to save money!

Excluding fantasy bellydance (which I primarily use as an instructional) they are all a bit mixed bag, in that they all have some absolutely stunning performances, and a lot of mediocre ones. what are you after? what do you like? Tribal fusion is so wide and varied.

Evolution, is my memory serves me, has a stunning performance by Mira Betz, but also a random hoop dance act that doesn't fit with the others.

Tribal Fusions has a lot of really similar dances, done by solo girls with tattoos so it can seem repetitive, though there is a beautiful Thai fusion Duet by Sabrina and Kami Liddle. My favourite performances are the drum solos by RB and Sharon Kihara, both of Zoe Jake's and Mardi Love's. Urban Tribal, especially after seeing them live in Sydney (which was jaw dropping), were disappointing.

Underworld has a lovely performances by Ariellah, Mira Betz, Kami Liddle, Ultra Gypsy, Unmata, and the girl at the end who's name I can't remember. But the rest I tend to skip.

I can recommend Magic to you however, as I enjoy the performances but I also use alot of the combinations taught. I wouldn't buy it just for the performances though.

oh and the Arabian spice's is an instructional, I'm pretty sure. The second Gothic bellydance dvd is a performance too, and I've heard mixed reviews about that one.

But BDSS is coming out with 2 new Tribal Performance DVDs
Bellydance Superstars TRIBAL LA DVD and Amazon.com: Bellydance Superstars-Tribal Fusions V02: Sharon Kihara, Zoe Jakes, Kami Liddle, Elizabeth Strong, Moria Chappell, -: Movies & TV

Hollywood Music Centre too, are releasing a Live DVD called "tales of Desire" that is mostly Tribal Fusion and looks amazing.

aaaannnd I've also heard that The indigo's Le Serpent Rouge set from TF9 was recorded by Michelle Joyce and will be able to be purchased on DVD in the future!

(yeah, I'm a bit of a dvd nut!)

Amulya

I just like to see different fusion types for inspiration, so I like a variety. I got a few on my wish list and am going to raid an EBay store soon :)