Was playing around with my make up...

Emaria

I was playing around with the tribal style of make up for the first time and I was wondering how I did and if anyone had any tips for what I could do better.

Ignore the weird shirt. XD I was using it as a cover up so I didn't get powder all over my other shirt.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am not a tribal dancer, but somehow I don't think the dots on the cheeks look quite right and most of them have a heavier more smokey look around the eye. Google tribal bellydancers eye makeup pics in images, some great ideas show up and I believe there are some tutorials on youtube for eye makeup as well. I am sure you will find the right look:D
~Mosaic

Chani

That's a fantastic lip colour for you. I think it looks good but you could go even more although it probably feels like you already have loads on - heavier smokier eyes and make the dots even darker and darker eyebrow to frame your eyes and balance out your lips. I think taking a pic of each make up you do is a great idea because sometimes you will get the brows best on one try and the dots best on another try and you can go over the pics and decide.

Not to hyjack your thread but I need to come up with Tribal make up, too and I haven't got a clue so if you find any good resources please share. My biggest dilema is that I'm not that confident with my applying technique (so pictures don't help me - I need tutorials) and I am older so negotiating wrinkles - boo hoo, I know that's life and I don't mind looking older but I'm serious when I say it's a challenge to put on makeup when your skin moves about - a younger canvas is much nicer to work with!

p.s. you are very pretty and the two side buns work well with your face shape.

Emaria

That's a fantastic lip colour for you. I think it looks good but you could go even more although it probably feels like you already have loads on - heavier smokier eyes and make the dots even darker and darker eyebrow to frame your eyes and balance out your lips. I think taking a pic of each make up you do is a great idea because sometimes you will get the brows best on one try and the dots best on another try and you can go over the pics and decide.

Not to hyjack your thread but I need to come up with Tribal make up, too and I haven't got a clue so if you find any good resources please share. My biggest dilema is that I'm not that confident with my applying technique (so pictures don't help me - I need tutorials) and I am older so negotiating wrinkles - boo hoo, I know that's life and I don't mind looking older but I'm serious when I say it's a challenge to put on makeup when your skin moves about - a younger canvas is much nicer to work with!

p.s. you are very pretty and the two side buns work well with your face shape.

Thanks! :D I thought the eye makeup was a little heavy, but I'm one for throwing on a bit of base, some very light eyeshadow and calling it good. If I find anything I'll be sure to put some up. :) Thank you about the buns as well. I got the idea from a video posted here on the forums.

Emaria

I am not a tribal dancer, but somehow I don't think the dots on the cheeks look quite right and most of them have a heavier more smokey look around the eye. Google tribal bellydancers eye makeup pics in images, some great ideas show up and I believe there are some tutorials on youtube for eye makeup as well. I am sure you will find the right look:D
~Mosaic

Thank you. :) By not right do you mean not straight or one of those issues, or that they don't look to be a part of the ensemble?

Greek Bonfire

I too would go with a more smokey eye but the lip color is perfect for you. And I'm not tribal either but I don't think the dots are a good idea because they do take away focus on your eyes and lips. I think if you do have dots, you should really play up the eyes and mouth more so they are not overwhelmed.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thank you. :) By not right do you mean not straight or one of those issues, or that they don't look to be a part of the ensemble?

The ones on the cheek area don't look part of the ensemble.

This video shows the girl putting them higher and angled to follow the eye and look like they will meet up with the dark line from the eye. It is a shame this video doesn't have a very sharp pic quality.

Hope they help you understand what I mean. Also you can be much more dramamtic with 'stage' makeup, because evening/street style can be quite washed out looking for stage.
~Mosaic

Here is a pic of another dancers eyes ( don't know who she is though)

Za Linda

Playing dress-ups...

I have no experience with belly dance makeup, but quite a bit of experience with makeup and costume for other kinds of stagework and shows, so here's my two cents' worth...

On stage, your features need to be emphasised so that they can be seen - bright stage lights and dark shadows can flatten the features and wash-out the colours.

I agree with the other comments that say you need smokier eye shadow; darker and more of it! You could blend it so that the beautiful grey eyeshadow colour you've chosen, which matches your eyes in the photo, is complemented with a darker charcoal grey. Also, try using a very dark mascara to emphasise your eyelashes, and match it with a dark brow pencil for the eyebrows (or try using the same mascara on your brow hairs!)

As your costume should complement your complexion and hair colour, you could try matching makeup colours to your costume as well, e.g. plum or red lipstick.

Once you get the right look, you'll probably find that it looks highly artificial and very dramatic up-close or in natural daylight, and perfect in subdued light, or from a distance in bright light.

For stage work, I've used mascara on my brows, lipstick as eyeshadow, lipstick to highlight cheekbones, and eyeshadow as lipstick. I love ignoring the labels that dictate what part of the face these colours are supposed to be for - it's all makeup!

You don't have to stay within the boundaries of belly dance for ideas - have a look at movies (e.g. Star Wars, Avatar) and ethnic decoration and dancers from other cultures (e.g. Maori tattoos, Celtic symbols, Japanese geisha and kabuki theatre, Mayan carvings, Thai dancers, Greek mythology) for inspiration.

Farasha Hanem

Whoops, I need to back up in my post to add an explaination so I don't end up confusing you later on in my reply! :redface:

Makeup artist and color analyst (sp?) Carol Jackson categorizes complexions into four different groups: Spring (generally blonde or light brown hair, light eyes, and fair skin), Summer (olive-skinned blondes or brunettes with dark or green eyes), Autumn (dark brown or red-hair with ruddy complexion and usually, but not always, dark eyes), and Winter (brown or black hair, olive skin, and usually, but again not always, dark eyes). She developed color charts for all four Seasons to make it easier for women to choose colors that will make them feel at their best.

I agree that your makeup needs to be darker and heavier, but also stay with colors that compliment your peaches-and-cream complexion. You're definitely a spring with your light skin tone, eyes, and hair color, so when you go darker with your makeup, go with warm browns and golds for your "neutrals," and for "color" colors, try apricots, teal, robin's egg blue, poppy red and tawny for cheeks, lips, and nails, and warm greens such as lime. Warm colors have a yellow undertone to them, so they would work well and compliment your coloring. Stay away from blue-based, "cool" colors, like blood red, plums, wines, jewel colors like ruby, sapphire, and emerald, and as a general rule, black and white, because these colors will look harsh on you and age you, even though you're young. Stick with these colors in your costuming, too, and for jewelry, wear gold, bronze, and copper toned pieces.

These rules aren't hard and fast, you can bend and break them once you get the hang of wearing your complimentary colors. For instance, you can wear a white eyeliner in the inner half of your lids to widen your eyes and make them brighter, or use white or black pencil in combination with other colors for faux tattoos. For the smokey eye look, though, I would stick with a very dark warm eye pencil; black eyeliner and mascara are far too harsh for fair blondes. Summer blondes with their more olive skin tone and dark eyes could get away with it for stage, but you can work with the darker, warm colors of autumn for Tribal makeup. As I said, as you become more experienced with makeup and costuming, you can use your complimentary colors as a jump-off point and become creative. Sometimes you even have to use a little ingenuity. For instance, as a Winter, sometimes I run into a problem with bellydance costumes, because although the base color is my complimentary color, it might have gold embellishments. I'll therefor add a bit of gold to my makeup, but with my complimentary palette as my foundation. Of course, the fun with new makeup looks is the experimentation! :D

We had a thread not so long ago that dealt with tribal makeup, let me see if i can find it---be right back... :D

Here we go! :D

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/beauty-fitness/12332-tribal-fusion-makeup-pictures-techniques.html

Last edited: