What style is this dancer? Can the dance experts help me?

Damariz

This clip is of one of the best bellydancers in Chicago, Surayah. Seriously, I need to get my butt to the Alhambra Palace soon to watch the dancers, enjoy the live music, and even join in to dance. I really enjoyed Surayah's relaxed interaction with the guests. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what style she is dancing. Perhaps lebanese?

Here's the link:
MySpaceTV Videos: ALHAMBRA by shadi

Here's an additional clip from youtube:
YouTube - bellydancer

Last edited:

lizaj

This clip is of one of the best bellydancers in Chicago, Surayah. Seriously, I need to get my butt to the Alhambra Palace soon to watch the dancers, enjoy the live music, and even join in to dance. I really enjoyed Surayah's relaxed interaction with the guests. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what style she is dancing. Perhaps lebanese?

Here's the link:
MySpaceTV Videos: ALHAMBRA by shadi

Here's an additional clip from youtube:
YouTube - bellydancer

First clip looked pretty much Egyptian to me.

I think we tend to get rather hung up on pinning down a style.

I am certainly not into this business of the teacher who advertises " I have developed my own style based on a fusion of the mating ritual of the Ilkley Moor Ferrets and the Ouliad Nail"

I posted a film of Nersin Topkapi on Bhuz and as Marai Aya pointed out she refered to herself as an Oriental dancer not a Turkish style dancer.
Samia was Egyptian style but I sure think those ballet masters had some input, Fifi is Egyptian but just somewhat different mmm..yes and Randa is Egyptian but mmm...different again.
Of course a dancer gets up and does the ciftetelli just like Ozel on her vids and you can see the Turkish and you see FCBD swirling about and you know it's ATS but what we want to see is good bellydance and appreciate that it does have different elements because of the take put on it by dancer and that make it all the more interesting.

We have a dancer locally who learnt out in the Gulf and Syria and could you pin down her style nope..it's just her.... but she can belly dance!

Outi

She is a good dancer - has nice technique, nice presence on the stage and does great job.

As for the style.. for me, she doesn't have any specific style. The essence of any specific country/area is not there. It doesn't make her worse dancer, it's just s fact. Just like most of the dancers (almost all) in the West she might have had a lot of teacher and lessons for mixed styles and subjects. It's more like mixed American/European/Western dance style - I don't mean Am.Cab, which is a different style.

LeylaLanty

What Outi and Lizaj said. :)

She is a good dancer - has nice technique, nice presence on the stage and does great job.

As for the style.. for me, she doesn't have any specific style. The essence of any specific country/area is not there. It doesn't make her worse dancer, it's just s fact. Just like most of the dancers (almost all) in the West she might have had a lot of teacher and lessons for mixed styles and subjects. It's more like mixed American/European/Western dance style - I don't mean Am.Cab, which is a different style.

Damariz

I think we tend to get rather hung up on pinning down a style.

I think this is precisly what is happening to me. :rolleyes: Maybe i've been reading too many threads debating what is the essence of a style.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

Elleyla

Surayah of Chicago

This is Chicago's very own Surayah. She is a second generation middle eastern belly dancer. Her mother is Sadiya of Chicago (now retired), an equally talented Middle Eastern night club dancer. She does not follow a particular style that can be defined by a belly dance dictionary, rather she was lucky enough to start so early that she was able to create her own unique style, just like the belly dancers of old. She has been dancing her whole life (25 years!!!) and is a hidden gem in the belly dance world.
She is a beautiful dancer and it can only be appreciated live. If you are ever in Chicago come see her at Alhambra Palace in the city.