Yarn Tassels For Making A Hip Scarf

The instructional cd I have shows dancers with turbans on, halters, several layers of full skirts and scarves wrapped around the hips with lots of tufts of yarn tassels. How common is this, do you think I'm viewing it wrong? It looks like fuzzy tassels, fairly large, attatched inches apart, some big, some small, throughout a narrow but very long scarf that is wrapped around the waist or below it, with the ends coming to a point of one large tassel that hangs down almost 3/4 of the dress on the ends.

Have you ever heard of this type of scarf and have you ever seen any istruction on how to make one, how far to space the tassels, how big or small and how many tassels do you add? I think I have an Egyptian cd, they do a heart shaped circle with their shoulders, shimmies, the choo choo, Egyptian Half turns or even quarter turns, drawing an 8 shape flat with your hips, the taxeem? Can't remember the exact names of moves yet, only did the cd twice and ran through it the first time, half way through the second. Well, I said I was new, but does anyone know if this is traditional costuming?

I would like to make one, does anyone know the name of the yarn tasseled scarf? Or is there no name for it and a creation of the cd maker? The cd is just named "Belly Dance", not original by the title at least.

Ariadne

The style of costume you have described is ATS or "Tribal". Can you take a picture of your instructional CD and post it? If someone knows what it is or who made it it would be easier to give you advice concerning it.

Daimona

If you google "tassel belt" you'll probably find plenty of images and instructions on how to make it your own. Remember to use sturdy yarn when you make them.

The tassels are usually only worn in ATS/Tribal style to emphasize the hip movements. If I remember correctly, they are inspired by the decoration of camels and horses in the Middle East.

I apoligize for any patent infringement, the picture is very small and slightly fuzzy because I took a picture off of a computer screen. I think you are right because there is some of the tribal calls being made while the girls are dancing. It's a great idea. The one to the left is wearing strings and every so many inches, she put about a medium to small sized tassel, she's wearing about 20 strings of tassels around her skirt.

Thanks for the help, tribal is good! I just didn't recognize it.

lizaj

I apoligize for any patent infringement, the picture is very small and slightly fuzzy because I took a picture off of a computer screen. I think you are right because there is some of the tribal calls being made while the girls are dancing. It's a great idea. The one to the left is wearing strings and every so many inches, she put about a medium to small sized tassel, she's wearing about 20 strings of tassels around her skirt.

Thanks for the help, tribal is good! I just didn't recognize it.

Are you interested in Belly dance ..Turkish or Egyptian or Turkish Rom or ATS?
What kind of classes are you attending. It's usually best to consult your teacher about what is suitable costuming for the style you are doing . When performances come up, you'll have made the right choice. Nothing looks worse than a student dressed in some kind of tribal gear taking the floor to Mohammed Abdel Wahab..yes I've seen it!:(

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Here is a website with info about tribal style and even costuming etc

Tribal Bellydance dot org!

Tribal style is not from any 'real' tribal group, it is really a blend from various sources and has branched out into many off shoots.

FCBD where it all began Fat Chance Belly Dance

Check out youtube for Tribal style & or ATS you'll get a good look at costuming as well.
~Mosaic

Ariadne

Ah ha! I knew that looked familiar. (Independent Movies Delivered to Your Doorstep - Film Baby)

What you have is Tribal Basics Vol. 1 Dance Fundamentals by Fat Chance Belly Dance. If you are looking for an older style this is not it since it's been around for only about 20 years. (Fat Chance Belly Dance History) If you like it though then look for people who do FCBD ATS (American Tribal Style) for instruction.

A basic instruction tutorial for making tassels (Picasa Web Albums - Shara - tassel).

As lizaj said it's important to make your costuming match your style so if you are taking classes you need to check with your teacher on what is appropriate.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Yup that is ATS and those are tassle belts. I own 1 large one I bought and I've made my own as well. ATS dosen't wear hip scarfs but tassle belts and (some) wear coin belts.

And I second what the girls above already said.

Thanks for the help, and if I'm looking for something more historically correct I can learn Raqs Baladi. But I work a little every day on this cd for fun, so now that I know what I'm looking for after I learn this one well, I can get another in another style.

The costumes on these look fun to wear and make. The turban is another story! The dresses are not as big a fluffy as I thought, which is even better, and just long enough to add some drama to spins or whatever. If anything, for costuming, this will be a best first time costumes. Not sure if the dance is easier than other videos.

I am working on my swami arms, body wave, and the shimmy. I can do the leveling, but would like to go a little lower. Each day you try you get a little more limber and better. I stretched like the video shows at my dad's when I visited, my cousin screame out loud "Your'e dancing!" I didn't realize it, but it really wasn't dancing, just doing the stretch where you drop your hips to get them loose and lift your rib cage. I'm enjoying it! I can start looking for costume gear now.

Thanks again for the urls to read and the help!!

Ariadne

Thanks for the help, and if I'm looking for something more historically correct I can learn Raqs Baladi. But I work a little every day on this cd for fun, so now that I know what I'm looking for after I learn this one well, I can get another in another style.

If you are considering learning Baladi can I recommend this DVD? (Bellydance Egyptian Style - The Baladi - Ranya Renee) It has gotten excellent reviews from dancers.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

If you are considering learning Baladi can I recommend this DVD? (Bellydance Egyptian Style - The Baladi - Ranya Renee) It has gotten excellent reviews from dancers.

Yup -- I just took a workshop with Ranya. She's full of the awesome. :)

I think that's a GREAT dvd to use to really learn the way Egyptians move. Mohammed el Hosseny told us to learn the baladi and learn the shaabi, and learn them well. Only then can we really understand the Sharqi. I heart the balady already :)