I am such a newb >.<

Lanari

So I've maybe taken 3 actual belly dance classes and I have failed to grasp the concept of a basic hip shimmy. Once I think I get it in class, I go home to practice and I've lost the "ah ha!" i got in my class. I know i need to ask my instructor about it but I wanted some input now since class is postponed until after the holidays.

I think some of my confusion is caused by the fact I was simultaneously introduced to the Egyptian hip shimmy (I think it's what it's called) and so the two concepts have clashed in my brain and my hips.

So does anyone have a simple description of what a hip shimmy should look like and feel like? Maybe a helpful mental image to go with it. Any input would be most appreciated. :)

(I got to be shorter with my posts)

Hi Lanari, welcome to the forum. There are many types of shimmies that involve the hips as well as the upper body. All shimmies begin with basic posture and it's important to remain relaxed, i.e. no tension in the working areas of the body. Begin with the feet flat to the floor with your weight evenly distributed on all points of your feet. With your knees in a slightly bent postion, alternate moving your knees so your hips move up and down. Do not straighten your knees completely. Start slow and build up to a tempo that you can maintain.
The Egyptian shimmy begins in basic posture too, this time your knees are straight, alternate bending and straightening your knees(make this a small movement) your hips do not actively move up and down. again start slow and build up to tempo.
The differences between the two are the postion of the knees. Most beginner students want to start really fast when they begin to shimmy and lose the control and posture. It is more important to begin slow and build up to a faster speed, the key to shimmies is CONTROL and not speed.
Yasmine

Salome

Administrator
Hi!! :)

The shimmy we use in the class you are taking is the "Arabic" or "American" shimmy. This shimmy is produced by creating rapid, alternating hip lifts and is driven by the pelvis. The shimmy shows up most in the hips and glutes.

If I might make a suggestion? I would spend time practicing your hip lifts, alternating right to left side, with feet flat on the floor. When you can stay relaxed and turn out a nice even tempo of rapid, alternating hip lifts it doesn't take much to graduate into a shimmy using the same technique.

Lanari

I think I'm getting it!!

So I almost got it!! After about 15 minutes of practicing my hip lifts, I think I was relaxed enough with the motion that I got a short, brief shimmy in before my hips said, "And we're done!" :dance: I was so excited though because I understand the feel of the move now!! thank you both for your excellent advice, it really helped me a lot! Hopefully by the end of break I can maintain a shimmy for longer than 2 seconds before my hips giving up:D

vinstones

It's amazing how precise pointers from great teacher can help enlighten and overcome the learning obstacles newbies like us face.

My salute to
Salome and Yasmine

Makes a world of difference to learning!