Advice for the blind?

Darshiva

Tonight, my glasses parted ways. I can see, sort of - it gets blurry about a metre out and my depth perception is WEIRD without my glasses. Although I can dance perfectly fine without them, it's harder for me to study or update my lesson plans, etc.

So any advice on how to get through the next month whilst I save up for a new pair and have them made up for me? (no, welding/sticky tape wont work firstly because of the metal used and secondly because of where the break is)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Can only suggest maybe those magnifying glasses you can buy at some pharmacies, or take your glasses to an optometrist, maybe they can do some sort of temp welding.
~M

Darshiva

Mosaic, the optometrist is 50 minutes away and we need to get the car in for service before we can make that trip. Otherwise I'd be all up in that. :)

Shanazel

You can find inexpensive reading glasses everywhere from discount stores to fabric stores to grocery stores, at least around here. That would take care of your close vision until your new glasses come along. My sympathy, by the way.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oh WOW! 50k away, well yes I can see how that won't work, goodness no local optometrist, what a right pain in the butt for you. Maybe when you get your new pair you should get a 2nd pair made as a spare, some places have 2 for one deals, I always have a 2nd pair for those "oh no!" moments, even if it was the lens script before the current one.
~M

Darshiva

Well I had planned to keep the current pair as a spare for emergencies...

Also, I think the nearest pharmacy with the cheapie magnifiers is also 50 minutes away. I'm blind for at least a week. If my ancestors could manage it, so can I. I'm just trying to come up with ways to compensate so that it will have a lower impact on my lifestyle.

Big downside is I can't go off and do my art group tomorrow (crossing the highway twice, over the railway once and not very familiar with the directions) so, oh, no, I'm just going to HAVE to stay home & work on my A-Z coursework. Woe is me!

AndreaSTL

Well, I was going to suggest getting cheaters just like Shanazel said. Hmmmmm. Is there a piece of the bridge on each half? If there is tape might work after all. If you took a narrow piece and started wrapping the existing bridge nearest the lens and nose piece, could you extend the wrapping past the break and essentially have just the tape wrapped on itself? I'm thinking if you created extensions on both pieces and then taped the two halves together it might work. It sure wouldn't be pretty, though.

Getting through a month glasses free will suck - sorry you are having to deal with it!

Darshiva

Andrea - the picture in the first post is of the glasses.

The pharmacy here (open 3/7 days) doesn't sell them and even if they did, they wouldn't be a good solution for me as glare blindness is the real issue (I can stagger around just fine but glare gets me). Speaking of which, hubby forgot - yet again - to get the sunglasses (non perscription) out of the car for me so I can at least deal with THAT issue in town.

I just found out that the hospital has an emergency optometrist, so if we have the money, that may be a solution. It's probably going to be better to wait until we go to Horsham on Thursday & get something I like than to deal with whatever fugly frames they'll have at the emergency optometrist.

Duvet

Probably a bit late for advice, but connect the two nose rests together with a piece of thin wire (or string). The glasses will then still rest on your nose, although not as securely. Hope you get through the next weeks okay.

Darshiva

If you will look at the picture I posted (please tell me it's showing up for you, I can see it perfectly fine) there isn't enough of the nose piece on one side to do the tape trick or I would not be complaining about not having glasses right now.

Glue and welding won't work as they are made of titanium.

Darshiva

Pros to breaking glasses: can now see what practicewear DOESN'T work for skype classes in my studio. My apologies for the olive-green pants in my green studio!

Duvet

If you will look at the picture I posted (please tell me it's showing up for you, I can see it perfectly fine) there isn't enough of the nose piece on one side to do the tape trick or I would not be complaining about not having glasses right now.

Glue and welding won't work as they are made of titanium.

Yep - the picture is clear and shows the disaster. ;)

I'm not suggesting reconnecting the bridge (the metal curved bit that is broken beyond repair) but connecting the two nose rests (the clear pieces that rest the glasses on either side of the nose). They still look intact, and I wondered whether you could connect them together with a short piece of something (thin wire/string), leaving enough gap between for the wire/string to rest on your nose, as a temporary measure.

gisela

Super Moderator
yes Duvet, that might work. I'm thinking- tape wire to the metal on the outer sides of the glass and let it follow the curve over the glass, then down under (and possibly around) the clear nose rest pieces, forming a new nose bridge piece.

Daimona

yes Duvet, that might work. I'm thinking- tape wire to the metal on the outer sides of the glass and let it follow the curve over the glass, then down under (and possibly around) the clear nose rest pieces, forming a new nose bridge piece.
hey, I was going to suggest that.. :lol:

Darshiva: I hope it works well for you. Just be sure you choose a type of metal wire you wont get any allergic reactions to. :)

Darshiva

I've borrowed hubby's (non perscription) sunnies to take care of the glare blindness, and it turns out I can see oncoming blobs well enough to avoid them (particularly if I let other people dictate when to cross the road and making sure that they're closer to oncoming traffic so if pasting happens it's not me! :p ) so I shall manage for the three weeks it's going to take for my appointment to finally come around. It's glasses season, apparently, so there are no bookings to be had for 3-4 hours in any direction until early August.

Upside is that my chosen new frames are pretty awesome and the place I'm booked in at has a 2 for 1 deal so I can get a nice performance pair and a pair for every day.

Flexible for everyday use:

Rimless for allowing my performance makeup to be visible if I want to actually see my audience:

And yes, they both come with bling on the arms, which influenced my decision not just a little!

BigJim

Take the lenses out of the broken frames.... find an old pair of sunglasses... knock the lenses out of them... tape the real lenses to this frame... I'm a Canadian and have faithfully watched the Red Green Show... It teaches you new innovative ways to use duct tape... LOL..... it's worth a try... Good Luck Jim

Aniseteph

I was going to second the off-the-peg reading glasses idea and suggest ebay or amazon, but it if you are short-sighted that won't help. :(

I do like BigJim's idea; how lateral is that? They'd look strange and I suppose the lenses probably wouldn't be centred right, but I admire the improvisational practicality. You could always bedazzle the duct tape :dance: (no don't hit me....).

Hope you get it sorted soon - vision issues are a PITA.

Darshiva

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to fix the situation while I wait for a new pair of glasses. I was actually hoping more for some inspiration on how to continue my dance practice and maybe learn some new stuff whilst I'm temporarily vision impaired. But I do appreciate the thought that has gone into each of your posts. :)

gisela

Super Moderator
Perhaps you could use the time to do some intense, emotional practice sessions where you really FEEL the music in your body, and FEEL the movement, feeling the muscles play under the skin etc etc. Like when you loose one sense, other senses become stronger.