Thought-provoking belly dance costumes (TPBDC) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanazel

Obviously I've been cruising E-bay tonight.

The following is advertised as a "renaissance belly dance gypsy witch costume."

Shanazel

This vendor (W3) has some beautiful things. They are not really what I'd call belly dance costumes for the most part (very east Indian influenced), but the embroidery and embellishments are lovely.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the multicolored fringe on the style directly above, but it sort of grew on me after I looked at it a while. It comes in several colors.

Aisha Azar

Belly dance costumes

Dear Shanazel,
It could be just me, but some of those skirts remind me of heavy high Victorian drapery for the formal parlor windows...
Regards,
A'isha

Aniseteph

:D "renaissance belly dance witch" - they forgot gypsy pirate medieval wench!

I like those embroidered ones, they look so lavish. And the face veil (I never thought I'd say that). I'd much rather wear any of those even if they are not quite bellydance than see through harems with knee holes. Does anyone look good in those things?

(yeah, probably the girl in my class who looked amazing in that Turkish Emporium job with the soup plate bra... :rolleyes:)

Phoebedances

The indian inspired ones might really work for some fusion numbers, like gypsy fusion or indian fusion dances. I'm amused by the renaissance belly dance gypsy witch costume... that's just what the world needs, more Renaissance Belly Dancing Gypsy Witches! :dance::dance::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Phoebedances

this costume has provoked some thoughts..
great ones actually :D
when i see the price however, my thoughts change...:( :lol:

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=1&s1=1327&s2=1327

I'm not crazy about the turquoise costume with the feathers on it, especially for such a price. Feathers are such delicate things and won't stand up to many performances before they begin to look ragged. If I'm going to pay $725 for a costume I really want it to last!

That being said, the silhouette of those are generally lovely, however, there's not a lot of intricate beading to justify the price, simply sparkly material and I could easily make something similar. I guess one is paying for the designer's name in this case.

Shanazel

Dear Shanazel,
It could be just me, but some of those skirts remind me of heavy high Victorian drapery for the formal parlor windows...
Regards,
A'isha

:lol::lol: Ah, but they aren't made out of thick red velvet plush. I imagine the entire late Victorian era as upholstered in red velvet plush.

Aisha Azar

High Victorian

:lol::lol: Ah, but they aren't made out of thick red velvet plush. I imagine the entire late Victorian era as upholstered in red velvet plush.

Dear Shanazel,
Well........, now that I have had a chance to review the evidence, of course you are absolutely right!! How totally silly of me.
Regards,
A'isha

Sita

The following is advertised as a "renaissance belly dance gypsy witch costume."

I can't get over the arms!:confused: I wander if there's a pin attached to inflate them - very useful for Renaissance Belly Dance Pirates and their water aerobics..

my history books tell me it was the all the rage back then :dance:

Sita

Last edited:

Shanazel

About 1972, I had a yellow blouse with sleeves like that. I wore it with a brown cushed velvet miniskirt and long vest. Sigh. I felt soooooo romantic in that outfit. It was almost as appropriate for belly dance as the posted one is!

alosha

first off, i LOVE LOVE LOVE Ansuya and draw a lot of inspiration from her, but hmmm...not so sure about the placement...

wow, that's tiny. gotta try to find a bigger one

here's the link....maybe someone more photo savvy can find how to copy the damn photo..

Dance Shots!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.