Help, Veil Sticking!

Azeeza

I've never had veil issues, but I did at a recent workshop.

The veil I used is a second hand veil and I noticed I was having trouble with it. Today, when I was in front of a mirror (there were no mirrors at the workshop), I noticed the veil had static cling in it.

Can anyone recommend how to remove static cling from a silk veil? I have no idea why this veil is sticking, other than it is VERY light weight. It's the lightest veil that I own.

Thanks,

Azeeza

Marya

I've never had veil issues, but I did at a recent workshop.

The veil I used is a second hand veil and I noticed I was having trouble with it. Today, when I was in front of a mirror (there were no mirrors at the workshop), I noticed the veil had static cling in it.

Can anyone recommend how to remove static cling from a silk veil? I have no idea why this veil is sticking, other than it is VERY light weight. It's the lightest veil that I own.

Thanks,

Azeeza

THere is a spray you can use called Static guard, should be able to find it with the laundry supplies in a grocery store.

Certain very thin silks and synthetics will have more static than a heavier weight fabric.

weighting the bottom edge of the veil with a trim might also help.

Marya

Salome

Administrator
I've used static guard on my silks and it works great. I hardly iron a veil anymore. Mostly, I throw them in the dryer for wrinkle release and it does the trick and I have not seen any ill effects on the fabric...

su_raiya

I've used static guard on my silks and it works great. I hardly iron a veil anymore. Mostly, I throw them in the dryer for wrinkle release and it does the trick and I have not seen any ill effects on the fabric...

I totally agree with Salome - I do the same :)

alosha

i agree. the dryer is the way to go. and for some reason the effect of the dryer sheet smell is quite comforting...

fairycove

RE: Static Cling Removal Suggestions by Fairy Cove Silks

HI Ladies,

Meag of Fairy Cove Silks writing to you here.
I have produced 1000's of yards of silk and silk veil.

The simplest solution I have found is to have a sprayer bottle and lightly mist the items with WATER ONLY before working with them.

Also, some other tidbit, I have heard some people put a safety pin on the inside of a garment and this has alleviated for them. I will be looking into the science and effectiveness of this to see.

I would like to suggest NOT to use dryer sheets... from my personal experiences.
Dryer sheets have synthetic resin oils that can stain your silk and be difficult to remove. This could also leave the silk more vulnerable to deterioriation, as it is a natural fiber that is easily damaged.

I have done a little reading on this - here is one answer from the web:
"You need to increase the moisture in the air. Buy a humidifier. If unable to do so, try hanging your clothes in the shower stall just after a warm shower. Pull the curtain around the clothes or close the glass door to maximize the humidity level. Even boiling some water on the stove will increase the moisture level in the kitchen area. Maybe if I kinda explain what static electricity is, you can better understand why sprays and the like are only temporary fixes. Everything is made up of atoms, right? In the middle of each atom is a nucleus and that, in turn, is made up of protons, neutrons, and itsy-bitsy electrons. Static electricity is an imbalance of these protons and electrons and when too many electrons build up, they need to discharge (shock) in order to become more balanced, i.e., equal protons to equal electrons. If you pick up extra electrons by walking across the carpet, for example, and then touch a metal doorknob, you get a shock when the electrons leave your hand and go to the knob. The water in the air helps electrons move off of you more quickly, so you do not build up as big a charge."

I also have read some interesting facts about vinegar rinses vs. shampoo help some people reduce their own personal 'static load' overall. This may be true for some silk overall, as I use vinegar with our processing, some silk may be less full of static. It may be possible a little vinegar in your water will create this beneficial situation. Vinegar will not harm your silk.

Nice to meet all you ladies!
If you haven't been to my FAIRY COVE SILKSwebsite I REALLY look forward to seeing you there soon. I have lots of information about silk there, too and am working to add content all the time.

I look forward to hearing more about what works for you for static cling, and

alosha

i use dryer sheets that are natural oils in a bit of water.... basically you spritz a washrag with water and vinegar that has the oils mixed in, then throw the rag in the dryer with the article of clothing to get the clean laundry smell, and kill the static. This works for veils as well. Vinegar in the rinse cycle works great as a fabric softener.

Last edited:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
For me to get rid of static cling, I usually throw the item in a bag and then into my freezer for a while. Surprisingly something about the cold makes it go away. However i'm not sure how silk would react to that.

Shanazel

Hello, Fairy Cove. Welcome here, and thanks to both you and Alsoha for sharing your professional silk workers' hints.

I'm not a fan of drier sheets, either. I hate the smell, have had things spotted by drier sheets, and I don't like the feel of fabrics that have been dried with a drier sheet.

I live in a very, very dry climate and particularly in the winter have more trouble with my hair getting static-y than I do veils. In either case, I wet my hands with water and and very lightly run them over veil and/or hair. Water is usually available when other measures are not. ;)

fairycove

Thank you for the sweet, warm welcome!

I have had customers from especially dry climates - for example winters indoors in canada....that have this very issue all the time.

Water is such a simple cure!
I think the freezer method mentioned by Cheart99 would not hurt the silk at all. It is an amazingly resilient material. I would think also that the fabric would be picking up moisture that is in the freezer and this is what (scientifically) diminishes static.

I will try it sometime.... and another freezer hint.. if you're ever moving a freezer, tie some coffee beans in a cloth - silk is great, a small square - and it will keep it from going awry with smells. Sorry it is so off- topic, but I have moved across country 2X in the last 2years, so surely this is useful to many people... we are a mobile world!

Nice to meet you ladies!! Be blessed.

Today I worked so very long for a customer, who's husband ( a local) purchased a chemise for his wife who has breast cancer. It was so difficult to achieve the right color, then a defective strap, so then another chemise.. more color. I had an awful time... and on a friday so much to do. it is rare these days i have awful times with my silks... but I realized at the end, perhaps she is needing more of my energy than most customers do..... silk and color provide so much healing, nurturing.....I find I am only a vehicle...

Dance brightly! You many beautiful women who are bringing this joy to all who so much need it...

sorry for my ramblings .... tired here ...

Meag

alosha

Today I worked so very long for a customer, who's husband ( a local) purchased a chemise for his wife who has breast cancer. It was so difficult to achieve the right color, then a defective strap, so then another chemise.. more color. I had an awful time... and on a friday so much to do. it is rare these days i have awful times with my silks... but I realized at the end, perhaps she is needing more of my energy than most customers do..... silk and color provide so much healing, nurturing.....I find I am only a vehicle...

Meag

I just made two veils for the Relay For life and I did the pink for breast cancer. I found it quite healing for me to make those veils. I felt like I put a lot into them...

I'm very glad you're here, and am looking forward to more of your posts!

adiemus

A simple trick I use for silk skirts is to put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Used to do it with slips and skirts - I think it's the moisture that collects on it. Another thing you can do is put a drop or two of essential oil (something like lavendar) into a spray bottle of water - shake it before you spray, and it seems to do more than just water to reduce static.

fairycove

Here is an FAQ page I managed to post onto my site....

This is indeed a universal issue important to dancers. I would be careful with essential oils as they could easily stain. Though I think a heavy dilution in a spritzer would be just fine.

I also have a fair bit of content on my site about SILK fabrics, care, etc....
FAQ: Notes about Static

And, I finally got my pic showing as an avatar... took long enough.
Hello everybody!

Happy Friday y'alll...... Meag

alosha

I haven't had any issues with the essential oils, though I only use lavender. I'm curious which ones have stained for you?

fairycove

Zorba!
Nice to meet you!
Your quote inpsired me to check out your site.

I have to make a brief disagreement on silk veil for sale is unhappy!
All my shelves full of darlings are anticipating their new homes!!!

Enjoyed your article on selecting veil, and especially your distinction for the misnomer that chiffon is a wholly different fabric, not just a WEAVE... a frequent thing I find amongst my customers. Silk chiffon is beautiful. I had some customers think that silk chiffon was vegan. ....

anyways, appreciate your knowledge...

And, to point out, I stock multiple sizes and weights of half circles ... they are not hard to find at Fairy Cove -- they are stocked and also orderable! Would love to be included as a resource to you as I specialize in veil.....

Must run and go dye stuff!
Friday shipping... ack!!

Meag

Last edited: