I'm 15 and dont know how to get recognised

Gabii_x

Im only 15 which is quite young but i think i am quite a talented belly dancer, especially for my age, i went to egypt and danced infront of a 100 strong audience and they adored me , i even went into competition with a proffesional egyptian belly dancer and won, i first started when i danced with the male ledgend who goes by the name of tito. since i found out he was famous i'm even more inspired ..

my biggest dream is to become recognised , i think i have what it takes:)

x

Caroline_afifi

Do you have a teacher?

Perhaps they could give you a platform at haflahs etc? it is a good place to start.

Just a little advice, make sure you get a good teacher to give you some real feed back and contructive criticism to contibe your development.

It is easy for people to say 'wow' when you are very young and then it happends again when you get older.. just the way it tends to be I am afraid.

Gabii_x

Do you have a teacher?

Perhaps they could give you a platform at haflahs etc? it is a good place to start.

Just a little advice, make sure you get a good teacher to give you some real feed back and contructive criticism to contibe your development.

It is easy for people to say 'wow' when you are very young and then it happends again when you get older.. just the way it tends to be I am afraid.

I haven't actually got my own teacher, ive taught my self through the internet and through bellydancers i have seen in egypt and england, yes i no what you mean about the age, ill try and get a video up on here as soon as i just purchased a new costume for a contest im in soo hopefully then :)

Gabii_x

I am curious, Gabii, and not being the least bit snide here, I promise. What do you think it takes?

In my opinion i think because i picked up the basics quite quickly and through observation i have the capability of achieving alot more and hopefully finding and developing my own style, also alot of hard work and experience and i guess only time will tell :)

x

Shanazel

Thank you for your explanation, Gabii.

Take Caroline's suggestion about a teacher to heart. The world is full of girls and guys who pick up the basics of something easily only to collapse when faced with the genuinely hard work of perfecting those basics, much less going further. That's not to say you can't do it, of course, but it helps if your biggest dream is to become an accomplished dancer rather than simply to be recognized.

What a treat to dance with Tito! How did your chance come about? Was he teaching a workshop or performing or???

Kashmir

Im only 15 which is quite young but i think i am quite a talented belly dancer, especially for my age, i went to egypt and danced infront of a 100 strong audience and they adored me , i even went into competition with a proffesional egyptian belly dancer and won, i first started when i danced with the male ledgend who goes by the name of tito. since i found out he was famous i'm even more inspired ..

my biggest dream is to become recognised , i think i have what it takes:)

x
I hate to be cynical - but if you are 15 and pretty you could walk in and pick your nose and an audience would adore you. I have seen some "belly dance" competitions in Egypt. I saw an excellent professional dancer ignored for a young woman showing lots of flesh and humping the floor - not that I'm saying you are at that level - just that the competitions are meant to be fun for the tourists - not a judge of belly dance talent.

What does it take? Plenty of hard work. I have studied under some Egyptian teachers who at your age were recognized as having talent. Their next step several years of study - as in 5-6 times a week in class - with a teacher - plus their own practice.

If you are serious about being good. Find a suitable teacher. If you are as good as you think - it may mean private lessons if there are no suitable classes at your level locally. But don't turn down the class if all that is available is a beginners' class because with a good teacher you will learn heaps even there.

jenc

We have a 15 year old in one of my classes. She danced a solo in the show and danced rings round most of the others. But she still has a long way to go.

here is a link to classes in Lincolnshire for you. Teachers in Lincolnshire

Good luck.

Please remember that if recognition is what you want it is sometimes too easy to get what you want when you are young. If what you want is to be a great dancer, the way is hard, but the rewards in the end are far greater

Granddad

We have a 15 year old in one of my classes. She danced a solo in the show and danced rings round most of the others. But she still has a long way to go.

here is a link to classes in Lincolnshire for you. Teachers in Lincolnshire

Good luck.

Please remember that if recognition is what you want it is sometimes too easy to get what you want when you are young. If what you want is to be a great dancer, the way is hard, but the rewards in the end are far greater

Thanks for that plug for my website Jenc. :D ;) I see Gabii isn't too far away from where we live, if she'd like to email me at mark@orientaldancer.co.uk my wife may be able to recommend the best local teachers, we know them all.

maria_harlequin

I saw an excellent professional dancer ignored for a young woman showing lots of flesh and humping the floor - not that I'm saying you are at that level - just that the competitions are meant to be fun for the tourists - not a judge of belly dance talent.

:shok:

lizaj

This is a wind up. Surprised people are taking her seriously! :rolleyes:

It occured to me just that but it is best to err on the side of assuming it is genuine and do what we are supposed to do inform and encourage. What harm does it do?:confused:
There might be a real Gabi out there reading this.

Caroline_afifi

It has not turned into a sexual conversation so what harm is done?

we cant always assume every new person is a hoax.. on what grounds exactly?

would we do this if they said they were 45?

Perhaps we should just give people benefit of the doubt unless we have good reason not to?

jenc

I think if there was a real Gaby she has probably disappeared through some of the replies posted. Given that we have had othher very young posters, eg the one who posted about getting a flat belly and got lots of advice that could possibly be inappropriate for a child still developing, how do we think we should handle this sort of thing.

for the record, I thought she sounded entirely like a 15 year old.