A bit of fun maybe

khanjar

Seeing as I am having another bout of insomnia due to excessive night time thinking, I have been trying to tire the mind by doing online quizzes.

I found this one, which although it is a quiz of sorts, it is a quiz created by intellectuals for the purpose of defining whether a person is right brain dominant or left brain dominant.

As I am an art student, I searched out a site to do with art and came across the site below, a site which once the test is completed, the results are very enlightening and give food for thought, which is all well and good, but I am trying to tire the mind and get some sleep.

Although the test is scientific in basis, it also occurred it might also be a bit of fun for all those interested.

And for all those interested, here is the quiz ;

Right Brain vs Left Brain Creativity Test at The Art Institute of Vancouver

Oh, there is a question in there that asks if you have ever thought to be a dancer.

karena

Well I did it but I found myself answering some to most things. I am a pain in the behind on these things as I continually think 'well it depends' for every question so go for some in response. I spend more time critiquing the thing that is sensible :lol:

But with the sleeping thing Khanjar, when you have all those thoughts that won't go away, rather than trying to stop them, just let them flow in to your mind but rather than grasping them let them flow right back out again. You could picture them doing that if you're a visual person. You can keep yourself awake either engaging with them or trying to stop yourself engaging with them. Instead do neither, just let them be. And, try filling your mind with imagining what it would be like if you were asleep.
(Or just ignore me, as you didn't ask for any advice, and this is coming from someone who couldn't sleep last night for thinking :lol:)

Aniseteph

:confused: It's just told me I'm rubbish at algebra and hated it. Nope. I'm with Karena on these, too many "well it depends so I'll tick something non-committal".

One sleep technique I heard was to pick a dull and association-free object, concentrate on it, and when you catch your thoughts drifting just bring them gently back to it... it works for me. That and having warm feet! :D

Dev

51 and 49 percents respectively.

Khanjar, I do have a problem with sleeping at night. Some nights I hardly sleep at all, But its not every night. I do not touch alcohol so I cant get pissed either before I go to bed. (as I noticed many people do that) but sometimes a spicy herbal cigarette does help the situations. ;)

Shanazel

I found myself thinking, "What in the heck does THAT question mean?" once too often and didn't finish the quiz. I don't list to either side when I walk, so I assume my brain is balanced enough to not worry about it. I used to clean house or play scrabble against myself when I had insomnia. Now I do crossword puzzles each night before bed and that helps a lot. Only problem is: if I do a crossword puzzle during the day, it makes me sleepy. :)

khanjar

I just find it interesting that there is possibly a reason for the way I think, as I am right brain thinking, so that puts me as expression through creativity. What the test has highlighted for me, is things that I know, but because of the thought process I have, they are not wrong, but just different, something that comes with being of an artistic mentality.

I did for years work in fields of employment, where I just didn't get on with it, I was a square peg in a round hole and I was surrounding myself with mathematical, scientific types, but now I am surrounded by artistic types and I feel so much more alive and part of everything.

It also tells me that I express myself through creativity, so my quest to find a class to learn ME dance is about learning to express myself through dance, as I already do through art and I have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument, so that is coming too.

karena

What the test has highlighted for me, is things that I know, but because of the thought process I have, they are not wrong, but just different, something that comes with being of an artistic mentality.

You see this is one of the things I don't like about tests like this. They are too binary. They make people think they are either artistic or maths/science. (I'm meaning this is what these binary things have made you think before Khanjar, not that you are doing it). I know it tries to represent degrees within it through the different percentages, but it still perpetuates that binary discourse; it still talks in those terms. This binary distinction leaves some people thinking, hang on why don't I fit it. I spent years thinking 'I can't do Maths' as I'm on the 'other side', until I realised that actually I can do bits of both.

But with the same token, these test do suit some people as they like to views things in that kind of way, as they think differently to me, hence my point above, so I am not saying they are bad for everyone. :)

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

Well I was 46% left and 54% right.

It says my thought processes can appear quite illogical and meandering...:think:

I am able to picture the whole thing first then work backwards putting the pieces together... Ok, so that is what I am doing.
I thought I was just impatient and lazy.

It is good fun this!

khanjar

You see this is one of the things I don't like about tests like this. They are too binary. They make people think they are either artistic or maths/science. (I'm meaning this is what these binary things have made you think before Khanjar, not that you are doing it). I know it tries to represent degrees within it through the different percentages, but it still perpetuates that binary discourse; it still talks in those terms. This binary distinction leaves some people thinking, hang on why don't I fit it. I spent years thinking 'I can't do Maths' as I'm on the 'other side', until I realised that actually I can do bits of both.

But with the same token, these test do suit some people as they like to views things in that kind of way, as they think differently to me, hence my point above, so I am not saying they are bad for everyone. :)

I understand what you are saying, but I have researched the theories based upon the hemispheres of the brain as it applies to thought and from what I understand from the theory, which is based upon exhaustive testing, there is possibly some truth to this. With everything I do, when I am not sure or just plain skeptical, I always cross reference with different sources, then I apply my own thought as to whether I will accept something or not, if I can reason something, then I am inclined to take a something on board, as it has passed my testing.

I seek these things as a possible aid to healing, and it is with interest, I have compared these findings with my natal chart, and come up with a surprising similarity, though I understand some of the negatives of my natal chart are there as challenges for me to overcome, if I know how I think, then I can tackle the negatives which will lead to myself knowing myself and become the better person I seek. When I am happy with myself, and even perhaps love myself, then I can extend that love and happiness to others.

By creativity, I will attain that goal.

Moon

Karena said:
You see this is one of the things I don't like about tests like this. They are too binary. They make people think they are either artistic or maths/science.

Actually I found this not to be the case so much with this test. It showed me I have a combination of both since my results were pretty balanced. In the description it even said something like "You probably give direction using landmarks, but will also use sentences like "take the 1st street left"".
Ok, it also said somewhere I was probably average at math and spelling. I am pretty average at math, but a pretty good speller I must say (in my own language).
They used some examples in this test to make the results more clear and ofcourse those are usually not 100% accurate, that's why you should never take those internet tests too seriously.

masrawy

51% /49%

Here is my results ..... ;) anybody want to dispute that :lol: :lol:

Left Brain 51%
Right Brain 49%

You are more left-brained than right-brained. Your left brain controls the right side of your body. In addition to being known as left-brained, you are also known as a critical thinker who uses logic and sense to collect information.

da Sage

I just find it interesting that there is possibly a reason for the way I think, as I am right brain thinking, so that puts me as expression through creativity. What the test has highlighted for me, is things that I know, but because of the thought process I have, they are not wrong, but just different, something that comes with being of an artistic mentality.

I did for years work in fields of employment, where I just didn't get on with it, I was a square peg in a round hole and I was surrounding myself with mathematical, scientific types, but now I am surrounded by artistic types and I feel so much more alive and part of everything.

It also tells me that I express myself through creativity, so my quest to find a class to learn ME dance is about learning to express myself through dance, as I already do through art and I have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument, so that is coming too.

I really have a problem with the concept that "mathematical, scientific types" are not creative, and not artistic. Most of my friends have both sets of stereotypical left and right-brain abilities. As for learning a musical instrument, what do you think music IS? It is straight math!