Are you up for a DVD challenge?

Jujube

Anyone interested in doing a DVD challenge?

I was thinking about the DVDs I have, and which ones I'd like to work with more. But after running a couple miles and doing my regular dance practice, sometimes I leave that off. Maybe a challenge will make me stick with it.

I'm thinking, pick a DVD, and promise to spend at least 10 minutes with it each day for a week. Each day we'll report back on this thread to say what we did (drilled one particular section, just moved through the DVD, etc)

Takers?

Jujube

Awesome! What DVD(s) will you work with? I was thinking of doing 2, as well. I'm thinking Aziza's arms and maybe Drills Drills Drills.

Shall we start on Sunday?

GypsyStacey

yes we can start sunday that works. i actually only own two dvd's...lol. darn it i can't remember the name of the one i'm going to start with...lol, but i will post later tonight.

adiemus

I'm on! I'm working my way through Nadira's improvisation DVD's, plus I have Ranya Renee's Beledi. I think I'll do Nadira's one, because it's got some journalling to do also.
Great idea!!

Elin

Sounds like fun, but since I'm attending 1001 Nights - Oslo Bellydance Festival this week end, I will not be back in Hammerfest before late Monday night...

Jujube

Sounds like fun, but since I'm attending 1001 Nights - Oslo Bellydance Festival this week end, I will not be back in Hammerfest before late Monday night...

There's no reason you couldn't start in on Tuesday, Elin!

nightdancer

I have all three of those, and need to get with Brianna's Ballet for Bellydancers tonight for 15 minutes if I can get this homework done.

teela

I think i'll be doing nadira's improvisational toolkit volume one and either the oriental modern or the baladi by Ranya Renee. I will join in. I should be good till Saturday when i have to do the prom.

Venefica

I would be up to this but I do not know if I can do it next week as I am going to visit my mother and I usually have allot to do then. But it is a really good idea.

Jujube

Sounds great, looking forward to hearing the daily updates from everyone. It's also a good way to learn about DVDs we don't have!

Jujube

How did we do today??

I worked on my Aziza arms. I just drilled the port-au-bras section, but I haven't had dance training previous to bellydance, so it's something I need to do.

teela

Thanks for this challange. The past week I have been over worked, stressed out and sick and I quit dancing. This got me back on track. I did the circles and semi circles in Ranya Renee's Baladi, one of the drills from the oriental and the combining two steps part of the improvisational DVD. The last I did to a very slow piece of music working on style while learning the moves.

Jujube

You're welcome, Teela! I'd like to do a different challenge each week as a motivator to get to those things I/we tend to neglect.

I'm going on record now (before my workout) that I am going to do at least 10 minutes of a different part of Aziza's DVD, as well as at least 10 min of Drills Drills Drills.

Jujube

Mission accomplished! I worked on Aziza's Half Moon pose drill, as well as Michelle's zig zag and isolation drills.

Anyone else??

teela

I ended up doing the semi circles and circles, twists and figure 8's on the Baladi DVD, working on seeing which moves fit together well as in the improv toolkit and worked a pattern from the oriental DVD. I warmed up and did layered patterns with the belly dance Basics and the chiftitelli on the WNDY Rhythms DVD. The hour went so fast and really was good.

Jujube

I ended up doing the semi circles and circles, twists and figure 8's on the Baladi DVD, working on seeing which moves fit together well as in the improv toolkit and worked a pattern from the oriental DVD. I warmed up and did layered patterns with the belly dance Basics and the chiftitelli on the WNDY Rhythms DVD. The hour went so fast and really was good.

How do you like the baladi and oriental DVDs? I just got her Egyptian one, but am saving it for a treat for after I work with some of the ones I've had--so I haven't even had a peek at it yet!

Today I plan to work more with Aziza's half-moon pose, and start on the next one (forget what it's called), as well as the porte-au-bras. Also, will be working with Drills Drills Drills again.

Elin

Sure, I'll start today, then. :)

Bellydance festival was great, by the way! :D I will write about it, after practicing. Need to pick out which DVD to use!

teela

How do you like the baladi and oriental DVDs? I just got her Egyptian one, but am saving it for a treat for after I work with some of the ones I've had--so I haven't even had a peek at it yet!

I love both. The baladi is actually more of an instructional in that it discusses the parts of the musical progression with live musicians. She then discusses what type of moves go with the segments of music, how to frame each move, and the muscles needed to make the moves correctly. The second DVD is a series of drills for whole dances, parts of the dances, etc. It is quite educational and well worth the money. The egyptian has a nice warm-up with two choreographies and drills. i like the drills because they allow me to practice each section. She has yet to publish the third DVD.