Balance Issues...Sticking It

Azeeza

Hello Fellow Dancers:

I have a question regarding balance issues.

When I spin, I lose my balance very easily and if I need to turn quickly for an ending, I ALWAYS lose my balance.

If I were a gymnist, I would receive low points because I would always have to move my feet with a landing because I wouldn't be able to "stick it".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Azeeza

Dheisha

Hi there!

I used to have the exact same problem, mostly because I always forgot about my center. Imagine there is a piece of elastic between your breast bone and your pelvis- in order not to stretch the elastic too far you always have to keep your back straight (don`t lean back or hunch) and most important of all- tuck in your pelvis. Try to do some turns while really tucking in your pelvis and some turns without doing it- you`ll notice a world of difference!
I don`t know if you prefer spinning on relatively flat feet or on your toes, but if you`re on your toes, it helps to go all the way up. This way you can "grip" the floor with your toes while if you`re halfway between flat feet and toes, you have to balance mostly on the balls of your feet and you lose the "toe-support" :D
Also remember to think about where you are going: Have a goal with your spinning instead of just turning aimlessly around. Think about what you`re about to do after the turns, this will make for a lot more fluid transitions.

I hope these tips will help you a bit!

Shanazel

Have you had your ears checked? Sinuses checked? I know it sounds odd, but when I start having balance problems (and incidently my hearing diminishes at the same time) it is generally due to sinusitis which causes the tympany of my ear to swell. I get dizzy easily and the ear drum presses against the little bone in my ear which diminishes my hearing considerably.

Salome

Administrator
One thing that makes a big difference in balance is where you are placing your feet as you spin. If you keep your foot work under your body it makes a world of difference. Try not to step 'outside' of your shoulder. Also try using purpose in your foot work instead of stepping willy nilly. Try taking four quarter steps to complete a turn. Step purposefully by angling the working foot crisply. Foot work looks a bit like an off centered T. When that feels good, take two steps to complete the turn. In front and in back, keeping the foot work under the shoulder. Even if you don't spin in releve, lift the heels slightly as you step/turn. Less foot in contact with the floor, less friction = easier to turn.

yamiharu

I had the same problem... but worse I ended on the floor hahaha....
I friend of mine gave me similar advices, so my turns are more "clean" now :rolleyes:

Scimitar_Moon

I was having a similar problem. I was very "wobbly" when turning, and my teacher realized that it was because I was leaving my arms very floppy. She said if it kept my arms strong it would make my turns more controlled, and I would have an easier time keeping my balance. Well, it worked :p.

milky

I have the same problem,too. I'll follow ur given tips and find out if they will do the trick...:) Thank u.