Bra for men, need help

Remus

Ok, so I want to make a belly dancing bra. My boyfriend brought me a normal bra to wear when I dance to him, but I want to make a real belly dancing bra. So can anyone give me some help?

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
First I am going to assume that you are male based on your other postings and the face that above you said boyfriend. In bellydance males don't wear bra tops, they tend to wear vests or some kind of vest like top. Are you wanting to get the traditional/typical dress for male bellydancers? I'm not sure but I have a feeling you might be confused on the dress styles.

There are a bunch of great male dancers on this board who would, I'm sure, be happy to help you figure out the correct dance wear. Here is a website for a great male dancer Zorba, "The Veiled Male" he has a lot of information on there as well.

If on the other hand you really want to wear a bra top, though if you are thinking of performing publicly I would advise against it, there are already lots of threads in this section about making bra tops. If I get some time today I'll try to look through the threads here for them.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
My advice, stick with the styles of costume that men wear.

Check youtube for male bellydancers for various costume styles and yes Zorba's website is great place to start.
~Mosaic

lizaj

Look out for dancers such as Khaled Mahmoud,Ozgen Ozgec and Shafeek Ibrahim. They have some good examples of male costuming and do not recourse to some male version of a bra..men do not need them.
There are designers who cater for men and many men also design their own.
It's also a good idea to get your own costumes as friends sometimes get it all wrong.Don't rely on them ,work out what suits you and get your own.
Having said that learning this dance comes before getting a costme so there is no hurry. Sports wear and a scarf for the hips is all you need to begin with.

SidraK

Hi Remus,

If you really want to perform (even just for your partner) in women's costuming, I'd suggest doing a quick Google search for "drag" or "drag costuming" for some tips on how to fit a bra, do makeup, and keep ...ahem...other bits safely tucked or taped down.

Remus

Hi Remus,

If you really want to perform (even just for your partner) in women's costuming, I'd suggest doing a quick Google search for "drag" or "drag costuming" for some tips on how to fit a bra, do makeup, and keep ...ahem...other bits safely tucked or taped down.

You know, I'm not the type of gay to put wigs and makeup. I once tried it with a female friend because she was curious how I would look and I looked ridiculous

Remus

actually this guy kinda has a bra