Costume question RBrice?

DancingMinx

I just started belldance about a few months ago and Im pretty good at it for a beginner.. I have one prob.. I like making my own costumes just no patterns in stores for what Im looking for...

http://myspace-398.vo.llnwd.net/00992/89/31/992501398_l.jpg

she is wearing garters and these leg things (sorry if i don't know name*if there is a name for them) are they tribal style? or something else?.. I would like to make myself a pair and Im soo excited to finally make my own stuff

does anyone maybe have a sewing pattern for them?

thank you to anyone in advance who can help me!

Last edited:

TribalDancer

They would be very easy to make. Look at fire dance costuming for more inspiration in this arena.

Is it tribal? Well, Rachel considers herself tribal, and she's wearing them. Take from it what you will. Personally, I consider it more of a general fusion look, and not specifically tribal, but that's my take...

I am not keen on it because the garters tend to send a subtle burlesque/neglige message that bellydance doesn't need. But that said, some of the women who have adopted this look, RB included, look freakin' hot. They WEAR 'em, ya know? But I just wish they would wear them for something other than bellydancing in...

DancingMinx

hmm

Im not sure how I feel on them ..the gothic scene always makes furry leggings.. so i can find more uses for them... but I want to make them in plain black the garters I was looking maybe to do shells instead? mix it up.. liek i said I havent seen a lot of people wearing them... but I seen a few video's of dancers all over on u tube and some of them are wearing them (not in striped pattern) but reg black or mauve.

I do wanna make them though I think outside of bellydance they would look cute at the goth club

right now im making my own headpieces out of shells I found on the beach this past year so im on my creative side...

I tried looking up fire dance costuming is that the name of the compnay .. or look at fire dance costuming in general?

thanks for the reply!:dance:

TribalDancer

At the festivals, these are a big rage right now. It started when people started cutting the thighs out of their Melodia Pants and it grew from there.

Yes, goth and rave clubs would also have seen this trend pass through a few times. The firedancers got had a lot of cross-polination with the rave culture of the 80's and 90's--both in the glow stick/fire spin aspects, and costuming. I will see if I can scare up some links. :)

If you want to see tons of examples, go to any Rachel Brice related tribe or photo album.

IlanioWear

Here is one of the sites I was thinking about. Think fur and funky fabrics, but the same kind of style inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atalanta

I would say just take a pants pattern and start from about mid thigh, skipping the crotch/waist pieces.

McCalls, Butterick and Simplicity have some cool costume patterns. I am always buying them when there's a sale. Some pattern ideas: Simplicity

miss_shimmy

yo are so right!!!!oh dear,i need to sleep more i do believe.
i thought earlier,i might take some pants i have already and modify them to be like that :)

staranise

ahhhh I used to make those fuzzy legwarmers religiously when I was 15. it's pretty much the same principal here, except with fancies. though I can't tell what they look like from behind....

cut out a trapezium shape to make a flared tube the length you want ( or use atlanta's pants idea) and wide enough at the top to fit over your leg and droop in the manner desired. ruffle up some... ruffles... probably 1 1/2 the length of the circumfrence of the tube, sew em on as desired, hem and you're done.

good luck, and don't let the lack of a pattern stop you! the ones she's wearing are probably DIY anyway.

Last edited: