Does a bellydancer need to have long hair.

Ariela

My hair is very thick and until the end of last year quite long as you can see from my picture below that was taken just before we cut it off. We cut it to my shoulders and I still can't believe I did it. My head felt so light! It was if I had lost an entire person or something. Here is a picture before I cut it.

Anyway, it grows fast and is past my mid back now and I think I'll let it go to just above the curve of my back. I think it's pretty when I see a dancer's hair moving just above the curve of her back.

It takes a really strong device to hold my hair and I have found a metal comb that is fabulous by Simplistic Designs. It is different than other metal combs of it's type in that it is curved. This allows it to follow the curve of your head when in place. I have a straight one I received as a gift that is beautiful, but will not do all the things the curved one does. I use the straight one as an accent comb rather than one that holds my hair in place while dancing wildly :)

Hair Comb INSTRUCTIONS.simplistic-designs.com

I bought both the regular length and the extra long one. I use the extra long when I put all my hair up. Here is a picture from their site of my favorite way to use it for dancing.

I just joined the forum and can already see how much I'll enjoy it.
-Ariela

Ariela

Oops, forgot to answer your question. I don't think a belly dancer's hair needs to be long. I agree with some that think it's traditional and feminine, but I've seen some amazing dancers with short hair. While I remember their hair was short, I remember more their special way of moving or smile and personal energy in their dance.

Recnadocir

It seems the ideal male belly dancer should have shoulder length blonde hair, like Brad Pitt in "Troy." And a body like Fabio, before he became Flabio. :rolleyes:

Recnadocir

It seems the ideal male belly dancer should have shoulder length blonde hair, like Brad Pitt in "Troy." And a body like Fabio, before he became Flabio.

:rolleyes:

belly_dancer

I think as long as you feel comfortable with who you are.... any length is ok... it should suit your personality as well as your body type....
I have actually seen a couple of dancers who were OVERWHELMED by their long hair....
(as in when they turned around, if they did not lift it up, you could not see what they were doing!!!!!!! & it looked sort of good when they lifted it up... (down past the top of the hip belt otherwise...))... in both cases... if it was cut to waist.... would have "worked" better in their dancing lives, as part of their "costuming"....
have also seen a couple of dancers with skimpy long hair... that if "pony-tailed"... looked rather rat like, & when down, got sort of stringy.. mine has been doing this lately.. so just cut off about 2-3 inches.... (still would probably look better if I take off more... but I am not ready for that!!!)

pearl

One has to admit though, when watching belly dance show, be it live or on the youtube vid clips, the dancers with long hair look nicer. It seems more 'authentic'.

Mya

i went to the hairdresser for a trim a month and a half ago and the woman cut off 6 inches of my hair...6 inches of curls! it's terrible! i don't feel beautiful at all anymore (absurd as it may seem)! Moreover, i haven't gotten a single gig since. I'm inclined to think it was bad luck. i'm jinxed and my hair takes FOREVER to grow.

Ariela

I think as long as you feel comfortable with who you are.... any length is ok... it should suit your personality as well as your body type....
I have actually seen a couple of dancers who were OVERWHELMED by their long hair....
(as in when they turned around, if they did not lift it up, you could not see what they were doing!!!!!!! & it looked sort of good when they lifted it up... (down past the top of the hip belt otherwise...))... in both cases... if it was cut to waist.... would have "worked" better in their dancing lives, as part of their "costuming"....
have also seen a couple of dancers with skimpy long hair... that if "pony-tailed"... looked rather rat like, & when down, got sort of stringy.. mine has been doing this lately.. so just cut off about 2-3 inches.... (still would probably look better if I take off more... but I am not ready for that!!!)

This was true for me. I had to braid, twist, pin with my favorite metal comb, and otherwise keep my hair out of the way or my coin skirt would get lost! It was pretty when dancing with scarves though.

Ariela

i went to the hairdresser for a trim a month and a half ago and the woman cut off 6 inches of my hair...6 inches of curls! it's terrible! i don't feel beautiful at all anymore (absurd as it may seem)! Moreover, i haven't gotten a single gig since. I'm inclined to think it was bad luck. i'm jinxed and my hair takes FOREVER to grow.

I was told that eating a good deal of protein makes hair grow. Mine does grow fast, but I think it may be as much the vitamins I've taken for so many years as the protein :)

Have you tried those special hair vitamins? I haven't, but do wonder if they work for others.

Mya

yeah i've done gelatin and protein powder in my food even...nothin gives. i guess since i have curls it takes longer for growth to actually show on the length though it's always quick to show on dye job! :(

Ariela

yeah i've done gelatin and protein powder in my food even...nothin gives. i guess since i have curls it takes longer for growth to actually show on the length though it's always quick to show on dye job! :(

I love curls! I'd trade length for curls any day :)

Mya

yeah...curls are boring..can't really style them and they're a pain to manage. they have potential to look kinda nice if they're long enough. short and curly i just find plain dull.

Ariela

yeah...curls are boring..can't really style them and they're a pain to manage. they have potential to look kinda nice if they're long enough. short and curly i just find plain dull.

My hair is quite wavy when short, but when it's longer the weight pulls it straighter. I can see how really curly hair might look really pretty when it is longer as the weight would pull the curls into a more gentle curl?

Ariela

Ariela: Thanks for the link. :) I love hair toys and these are beautiful. I love the Victorian one.

You're welcome :) Do you have any favorites you can share? I am always on the look out for new hair sticks. My favorite ones are made from real stones, crystals, and different woods (versus plastic and glass). Plastic tends to slip out easily whereas wood has some friction and stays in my hair when dancing. Maybe you'd like them too :)

Lisa Brooks

I absolutely hate when they do that. I've had it happen a couple of times in the past - once for about 6 inches and once for a full 12 inches. I spent most of the 90s with my hair down to my tailbone, except for those two instances. I still don't know what sort of secret code I accidentally delivered when I said "I need a trim, but keep as much length as possible."

Shanazel

There are some hairdressers who seem to actively hate long hair. I adore the guy who does my hair. I told him once that my hair only gets a couple of inches below my waist and stops. He said, no way, hair never quits growing and we're going to get it hip length or bust. He cuts just enough length to get the split ends, then does my bangs. Even though he is more expensive than some places in town, my husband insists I go to Horace because he knows Horace won't whack off a foot or so on a whim.

Moon

Last time I went to the hair dresser (which is too long ago... sigh) I wanted it cut to bra strap length but the hairdresses didn't want to do that so in the end I just let him cut the split ends, appreciating the few people that like long hair :lol: (I was so surprised though, as he had this "fashionable haircut" himself :think:)

Last edited:

Babylonia

Long hair lovers unite! I trim my split ends myself, holding my hair up to the light and getting them one at a time. If I feel that I need more I let my husband or my best friend trim them.

I think this link deserves another look in case you missed it: The Long Hair Community - Discussion Boards It has lots of good advice, hair toys and where to get them, and some of the hair is incredibly long but not everyone there has long hair, but they all share a love of long hair like I do.

I'd really like to start getting some hair forks, some of them are just beautiful. I have a few hair sticks,a hematite, amber colored stones, one that looks like shells but I'm hoping to get some freshwater pearls and whatever I can afford. ;) I also have lots of barrettes. I'm a mere beginner who is humbled by some of the beautiful hair toys they have. I love collecting scarves as well and would like to start using them to put my hair up. I've been wearing my hair up more because alot of the people on the long hair forum recommend it. I just have to get used to it because it gives me a bit of a headache after awhile but I've been able to wear it up for longer periods. :)