Dressmaking help

karena

There seem to be lots of people on here who know a thing or two about dressmaking, so I wondered if I could pick your brains...

I need a dress for a very special occasion and have been looking all over but not seen much that really makes me want it. But I thought I'd look at patterns and have seen a Vogue one I really like and can't get out of my head! But, I know nothing about dressmaking.:(

I have a friend who said she could make me something, but she lives a long way away and I'm worried about her having time and it being too much to take on (I don't know how long these things take) etc. I've had a look on the internet for local dressmakers but not seen much. How do you know if someone is just good at doing the odd seam or can actually make a proper formal dress? And I've seen others that seem more about designing their own really pricey thing rather than just making my pattern.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't even really know what I need to know :confused:

lizaj

There seem to be lots of people on here who know a thing or two about dressmaking, so I wondered if I could pick your brains...

I need a dress for a very special occasion and have been looking all over but not seen much that really makes me want it. But I thought I'd look at patterns and have seen a Vogue one I really like and can't get out of my head! But, I know nothing about dressmaking.:(

I have a friend who said she could make me something, but she lives a long way away and I'm worried about her having time and it being too much to take on (I don't know how long these things take) etc. I've had a look on the internet for local dressmakers but not seen much. How do you know if someone is just good at doing the odd seam or can actually make a proper formal dress? And I've seen others that seem more about designing their own really pricey thing rather than just making my pattern.Does anyone have any advice? I don't even really know what I need to know :confused:

Do you know Bev. in Leeds..she is a fabulous costumier...a trained pattern cutter. Her work is lovely. I'll track down her website and add it to the post. I am sure she could handle a formal dress! She does get busy.

Beverley Smith

Last edited:

Shanazel

How do you know if someone is just good at doing the odd seam or can actually make a proper formal dress?

Ask to see examples of their work and ask for references. A legitimate seamstress will not mind being asked for either. When you look at the examples, look for smooth seams, good finishes on the inside of the garment, neat hems, smooth sleeve caps- if you don't know what these things are, you might be wise to take someone with you who sews. Ask the prospective seamstress if she charges extra for pattern alterations (made so the dress fits you and not the theoretical body it was made for) and what her policy is for adjustments made after the garment is finished.