Embarassing Moments of Performing

dreamkitaro

I thought I give you a laugh at my expense. :shok:
My embarrassing moments of performing:
Tues night performed for a private party. (Overall went VERY well.) I had to get ready by myself, which is not unusual.
I started off wearing a gold, sequin bedlah. Now I tried to secure the best I could. Sequin bedlah are a pain! Because it's hard to clasp with the sequins in the way. So I am hoping I have the darn bra hooked good enough.
I checked it again before going on to perform. If looks and feels secure enough.
I am dancing my 1st set. While I am dancing, it feels like the bra unhooked in the back.
SO I am trying to dance to that table completely facing front and trying not to turn at all so they can't see my back. Now, I fortunately, altered that bra so it was so tight that even unclasp my boobs where going to boink out. When it was time to exit, I had to try to back out. They were probably wondering whyis she backing out. LOL.

Another night, I am wearing my tribal red/black bra, criss-cross ties in back. Again, had to put it on myself. I am trying to really have it on tight to secure "The girls". Now that evening there was families with kids among the audience. As I am dancing, my 1 boob started to slide under a little bit. I was not aware! I finish the set and go back to change. Notice it much to my horror. No wonder this 1 couple with young kids was looking at me weird.

Why me!

Sidonia

Fun thread! Luckily I've never had any costume mishaps (yet).

One embarassing moment I've had when performing was in fact on my first paid gig. Me and a friend were hired to perform at a nightclub with an oriental theme. So for a month I had been working on a choreography for us, including... duh duh dunnn... veil work! For the beginning of the song, we had our veils partly tucked in our belts. We would later pull the veils out like a surprise when the chorus in the song came, and proceed to dance with them.
We were both very nervous, but we started dancing and everything seemed to go well. Until the moment we were supposed to pull the veils out, of course. I had a matching skirt and veil in purple chiffon, so they pretty much looked the same in all those poofy wrinkles of fabric. But I was still pretty sure it was my veil when I put my hand there, ready to lift it. My friend managed just fine, but I had mistakenly placed my hand on my skirt thinking it was the veil. So about two seconds before we were supposed to lift the veils, I noticed it wasn't the veil! I looked really preoccupied, made a face, lost my posture trying to see where the veil was tucked and then managed to pull it out just a bit later than my friend. Yes I have it on video! :shok:

Another time was one of my first performances solo. It was on a festival with an open stage. The dance went really well and the audience liked it. But afterwards, my boyfriend told me that the person handling the stagelights had pointed one of the lights on my belly through the whole show. The spotlight was in the shape of a sun, and it was spinning and changing colours. Must have been really distracting and/or amusing for the audience. And I was unaware of it. I didn't just have the misfortune to accidentally stand in the middle of it, but the stagelight-person had to follow my belly around with it! Perhaps he thought it was necessary to really hightlight my belly so that everyone understood that it was bellydance. :rolleyes:

Moral of this story? Watch out for weird spotlights on your bellies ladies. ;)

Moon

Sidonia said:
But afterwards, my boyfriend told me that the person handling the stagelights had pointed one of the lights on my belly through the whole show. The spotlight was in the shape of a sun, and it was spinning and changing colours.
Oh my goodness! :lol:

Worst things I had, apart from the regular doing a wrong step and ending up doing something else than the persons you're dancing with, were trying to manage veils on windy days and getting the veil stuck in my bracelet.

eden eyes

i once hit my head on the floor while doing floorwork haha. another time i stepped on my skirt (i had little room for floorwork, i should have just not done it) while getting up and it almost came off from underneath my belt!!

another time i sneezed in the middle of a song and had a booger hanging in my nose!! that might have been the worst, so i turned my back to the audience and did some distracting things and wiped my nose. i had to keep it on my hand for the rest of the time until my set was over!!!!

that was pretty bad haha.

Ruby~<3

hm... my moment was hmm.. i think on my second stage preformance in a group. we where dancing at a Community college and This was.. maybe the first time i danced with a necklace... it was also the first time I did a move where you bend down then flip the hair back really fast and... well... I did so and the necklace hit me in the face pretty hard...o.o;; a flinched but tried not to miss a beat thought it was surprising..:confused:

the next one was when I did a restaurant show and i had a 15minute set...
and i forgot about the last song ..that was pretty embarassing... it was my first 15 minute show and i messed up..ugg..

other one was more recent... farmers market... I was doing a traveling move and stepped on my puffy harem pants and 1. I tripped 2. I just about lost my pants!.. but! I managed to get it back together... an d not lose my pants...heheh

Daimona

At a show in a theater, somebody forgot to remove a veil from the stage before my group entered.
Guess who slipped on it falling.. (I got up rather quick to continue dancing, though..)

Amulya

I once had a performance at a metal fair (not the music, just the material and machines) and it wasn't very nice because they used my dancing as promo
material, they hadn't even told me in advance. So I was doing some veil work and I was already grumpy from the way those people treated me, and suddenly my veil caught on my nosering and pulled it half out, ouchies!

Another thing that used to happen to me was getting a really dry mouth so that my smile would be stuck and there was no way to fix that, I tried all sorts of remedies, but finally it appeared to be my medication and since I stopped using it, problem solved :)

dreamkitaro

Daimona did you hurt yourself when you slipped on the veil? Oh how embarrassing!
Amalya, I am cringing at the vision of your veil caught in our nosering. Ouch.

Daimona

Daimona did you hurt yourself when you slipped on the veil? Oh how embarrassing!
Not really, just a couple of bruises on my knees. At the time it happened I was more worried about possibly ruining the white costume I was wearing than myself since I had borrowed it from a friend.

Another rather embarrasing moment my group was dancing at an outdoor event arranged by the local television at the community center. I was wearing a black tank top, a purple bolero and a blue and golden skirt.
Everything was fine until I raised my arms.
I had forgot to secure the bolero with safety pins before entering the stage, and it slipped up over my girlies. While dancing and turning away from the audience I tried to pull it down, but instead of just pulling the bolero, I managed to pull my tank top down as well. This resulted in exposing my bra, which wouldn't have been a problem if black like the tank top, but it had a skin tone and the audience was at a distance.. I wonder what they believed they witnessed.. ..and yes, I pulled it up again as soon as I realized what had happened..

Last edited:

BDmarianne

This thread is great!! :clap: My most embarrassing moment would have to be 2 months ago when I performed at a club in San Francisco. Right before I went on stage I accidentally tripped and caught myself from falling in the nick of time. I didn't check the mirror before going on, but apparently my veil had smudged my lipstick while I was flailing my arms and struggling to regain my balance. I performed the WHOLE SHOW with a huge smear of lipstick on my cheek!

What made it even worse is that no one told me about it after my performance, so I had to wait until I saw a picture of myself to realize what happened. Ugh, when I even think of that night I cringe!

Ariadne

I'm new to performing so my only moment so far (besides forgetting the choreography and trying desperately not to fall off stage) is when I caught the veil on my hairpiece and ended up with it wadded up in my hands instead of gracefully floating about on stage. That's what I get for not practicing with it in. I didn't even realize what had happened until someone in the audience told me.

Darshiva

My first dance gig was in a greek restaurant. The greek owners were trying to encourage the diners/audience to shower myself and the other two dancers with money, but the audience, being Australians, didn't really understand. Lots of food was 'showered' down upon us, including a slice of cucumber which stuck to my hip. I hip-bumped it off & floated off into the crowd.