Hypothetically Speaking...

eden eyes

...suppose a Sha'abi artist was enthralled and greatly inspired by an American artist, like say, Michael Jackson. Now suppose this artist made a big hit song that had a few American/Michael Jackson influences (whatever they may be) and an oriental dancer decided to perform to this song for her audience. Now what if she added the moonwalk or the MJ turn (but not the crotch grabbing :lol: ) in with her dance, would that be acceptable?

I don't know why I suddenly thought of this, but I guess I was listening to some Sha'abi and noticed a lot of saiidi rhythms and i remember some of you answering some of my questions about doing saiidi to sha'abi music and (my mind wanders a lot) i guess i just happened upon this scenario.

In fact, suppose you saw this performance (and you already knew the song and all that jazz), what would your reaction be?

Gosh it feels like I am a little kid telling all the others on the playground, "okay, now you pretend like..." :rolleyes:

gisela

Super Moderator
I think if the music really invites to it and the reference makes sense then yes it would be quite fun IMO.
And maybe even brilliant if it was very well performed, both the dancing and that extra move.

Pirika Repun

Actually, I performed with Hakim & James Brown’s “Leila” last year with my first Oriental dance teacher. She has all Egyptian, Turkish, AmCab, Jazz and ballet background. And she choreographed as group number not solo dance. It was “fusion” of all different kinds of style. Little of Egyptian, little of Turkish, little of AmCab, yeah, it was all fusion. I don’t think she labeled as “Egyptian” or anything. It was fun to dance even practice and rehearsal was totally different story. :(

Any other my teachers do not use this song in class, so I don’t know If they even pick this music in the first place. :think: I’ll ask Tarik today, if he has to choreograph to this song, what he gonna do. He loves Shaabi music, and he choreograph and inprov. many songs, but I'm not sure about fusion version of Shaabi. :think:

PS. Ok. I asked Tarik if he would chose Hakeem and James Brown's "Laila" to choreograph or perform with it. His answer "HELL NOT" :lol: He said this song was "FUNK" and NOT Arabic. So, he personally do not pick this song to dance to it. However, if some one want to do it go for it. ;)

Last edited:

Kharmine

Sounds like fun! It's meant to be humorous, I'm sure, so why not? So long as you're not pretending it's an actual Oriental dance move -- "Oh, yes, this came from the ancient Egyptians!"