i need a hug :( bad performance

Bast

It was my second time on stage today and I totally stuffed it. I had danced the same dance in front of an audience just weeks before and really enjoyed it, but for some reason today it got to me and made me really stiff.
Then I turned the wrong way, taking my teacher and half the group with me.
I recovered a bit towards the second half but it was just not good.
It wasn't for a lack of rehearsal, I knew that dance backwards, even with my eyes closed!
I just don't know what happened to me. The only thing I can put it down to is the other acts were all very high calibre and professional and I think I psyched myself out a bit being still very inexperienced, and it being a larger crowd, about 400/450 I think.
I'm so disappointed and feel like I let down my teacher, my group and myself :( and the infuriating thing is I know I can do it so much better.

Not sure if I should put it down to one bad day, or if maybe I need to step out of the bigger performances until my confidence catches up, or perhaps ask to be in the back row next time so I can follow the others?

walladah

Oh, such things can happen

to every dancer, even with lots of experience!

So, just forget about it - yes you can do much better and so will you!

Keep practicing and, for goodness sake, never decline a participation in bigger performances!

as my teacher says "The dancer evolves on stage" - you do not want to miss that, don't you?

Hugs,
W.

Aniseteph

<hug>

It's all normal, and you are upset about it because you care, and that is a good thing.

FWIW most folks are less worried over how the whole group came across and whether anyone "spoiled" the overall effect, more glad that they did not mess up themselves.

Don't beat yourself up about it, it's done now, the sky hasn't fallen down, and you have another bit of valuable performance experience under your belt. Onwards and upwards!

Shanazel

Any dancer who says she's never given a poor performance is either lying or oblivious. Let it go and put your energy into the next learning experience.

I have been dancing for a long time and I hate, hate, hate to dance in a group choreography. Imagine the chagrin of being the one to screw up when you are not only the teacher but the choreographer as well! :lol:

Mya

ditto shanazzie!

here's a hug anyway though, i know it's annoying when you feel so prepared for a performance and it all comes tumbling down

i had one similar experience last thursday night. keep trying to put up video but windows movie maker is the devil.

Bast

Hugs to you all, and thank you for your kind replies. I've just got back from class and feeling much more positive now. I'll put this one down to a lesson learned :)

Greek Bonfire

HUGS! I too have had a few of those myself! Sometimes you have things on your mind, there is negative energy or you are tired or JUST BECAUSE. Put it behind you and try, try again.

jahbie

Any dancer who says she's never given a poor performance is either lying or oblivious. Let it go and put your energy into the next learning experience.

I have been dancing for a long time and I hate, hate, hate to dance in a group choreography. Imagine the chagrin of being the one to screw up when you are not only the teacher but the choreographer as well! :lol:

Been there, done that! :lol:

Chani

Awwh, hugs. You''ll get your game back. Try not to be too disappointed or dwell on it. These things happen. It's only one performance.

I made a not too crucial but blatantly obvious mistake once and it was recorded on video - that's painful to watch each time.

In a way that is what makes a performance art so exciting - there is no guarantee even if you've nailed it in rehearsal that it will all go without a hitch.

When my fellow dancers have made mistakes it has made me feel okay that if it happened to me they would be understanding.

I've danced with very experienced dancers including bd teachers who have completely lost the chorie and had to improvise for a minute until they catch up. If it can happen to them it can happen to those of us less experienced.