I need some opinions....

MissVega

So I never buy costumes. I have a hard time making a big purchase on something I can't actually touch beforehand and try on. And I LOVE all of my homemade costumes, but they take so long to make. So I was debating on purchasing one full costume since I have been performing more and the poor same costumes are on a prettyr routine rotation.

My first impression when I saw this costume you was "OHHH I love it. I love the 2 slits and full skirt and I love the colours. But my boyfriend said it was "nice" and my mom flat out didn't like it. I've never bought a full costume before. Just a bra and belt set from Hanan which I recently sold. It was beautiful but the bra was just too big lol. Anyway I would love any opinions since most of you have seen my dancing and know my body type so you can decide if you think it would look good:)

It is the one called "Tidal Beauty" by Hoda. I am specifically referring to the Turquoise/Purple Tye-dye colour option (it is also in stock is my size, I am 34B/C, , 37 high hip, 40 low hip).

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&lpc=1&lpo=14

please feel free to be honest. I love the colours, but am scared to purchase a full costume LOL.
Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts/opinions. I really appreciate it:D

Last edited:

Amulya

Beautiful! My eye were first drawn to that light purple/aqua one too. If you want to have a closer look at that one, maybe Dahlal can send you a bigger version of that picture?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Last edited:

Amulya

Mosaic, those links don't work: you need to sign in to see. Maybe possible to link to the picture directly?

Shanazel

Vega, dear, I agree with Mosaic. The costume is pretty, but looks sort of anemic, especially against the model's pale skin. The first costume M posted simply takes my breath away. Similar colors to the costume you posted, but so much more vivid and rich. You could carry something like that off beautifully!

(Where oh where were costumes like this when I was dancing and had the figure for them???:()

Daimona

All of these are very nice costumes, but I'm not sure if I'll agree with the other ladies.

My first impression is that the Tidal Beauty model will be very, very nice on your body. I do understand the concerns about the colors, but this depends on
your skin color. I'm not sure if the the Pharaonix/Pharaonics butterfly fantasy costume (Dahlal sells it as well) are you, though.
Anyway I'll need to look at your videos and pics again before I make up my mind, but haven't got time for that right now (off to work).
(Not yet very helpful, sorry...)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I know what you mean Shanazel, I definitely couldn't carry off those costumes now. I just have to sigh & drool over them now:D

Here are 2 more colour variations of the butterfly one and the stars one with the funny top piece, I think it would look a lot nicer in another colour.
~Mosaic
PS: What about Eman's Creamsicle or the Spicy Seranade? at Dahlal's - would be a custom order though so you could choose your own colours.
https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=1&s1=1157&s2=0

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=1&s1=1157&s2=0

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Vega, dear, I agree with Mosaic. The costume is pretty, but looks sort of anemic, especially against the model's pale skin. The first costume M posted simply takes my breath away. Similar colors to the costume you posted, but so much more vivid and rich. You could carry something like that off beautifully!

(Where oh where were costumes like this when I was dancing and had the figure for them???:()

I third with Shanazel and Mosaic. The costume you were looking at is not only too pale, it's tone is also too cool and muted for your complexion. You would look wonderful in clear shades of peach, peachy-pink, orange, warm yellow, teal, and warm greens, for example. I think bright turquoise or robin's egg blue would look gorgeous on you, too. You need bright, warm, festive colors with OOMPH! :dance:

Oh, btw, what's your eye color, just to be sure?

Last edited:

Shanazel

I know what you mean Shanazel, I definitely couldn't carry off those costumes now. I just have to sigh & drool over them now:D

Well, at least MissVega is kind enough to let us play at chosing costumes for her! MV, I hope you aren't beginning to feel like our favorite dress-up doll. ;)

Reen.Blom

Can you have one made? I am sure for the price you would be able to have a similar one made, since it does not have heavy beading, etc and it would insure perfect fit/colours etc....? It is only a thought though....

It is just hard to order smth without touching it, like I really need to feel the fabric, not even mentioning the fit....

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Well, at least MissVega is kind enough to let us play at chosing costumes for her! MV, I hope you aren't beginning to feel like our favorite dress-up doll. ;)

A very cute and gorgeous doll;) and one heck of a dancer.:D

I agree with Farasha you look amazing in colours with Oomph! and I love the layered look on you, you have made it your own!
~Mosaic

MissVega

:D THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE:)
I love all the feedback and opinions.

Mosaic, actually I saw that butterfly one at Rakkasah last October so I got to touch it and see it:) Although it was varying shades of pink (not nearly as eye catching as the colours in the one you linked, OMG so pretty). I also really like the red,yellow and pink version) . But the style of belt didn't stay put on me:( My butt is really big and really squishy. Because it is high and looks like it would be firm, people assume it is muscle, but trust me, it is not. It's why it moves well and why I like full skirts because I like to think of it as "high performance fat". LOL I tried on one of the fitted/stretchy skirts thta are in style right now and was really self conscious shimmying in it because of the up close view of "cheek" movement. Plus I am pretty sure I would end up tearing it eventually the way I dance lol....

That being said when it "ripples" or I forget, slip into caribbean posture and pop my butt I push belts up. The really sequined/beaded firm belts (ie Hanan) don't stay put. The hanan set I had, the belt was a perfect fit, but it would ride up while dancing:( All of my costumes my belts are soft and snuggly sit around my butt and so far so good they have stayed put:)

I LOVE THE HOT PINK WITH THE STARS!!!!! I have seen that costume on Dahlal but they only have forest green, white, and burgundy. I didn't know it came in hot pink *SQUEEL*

Yes I am am pale and I like it. Sadly skin cancer doesn't just run, it gallops in my family so I always have on a hat or sunscreen. My face freckles pretty well and shoulders freckle a bit too. My eyes are bluey-green. In makeup I am able to pull off cool and warm tones so I am lucky I am fairly neutral.

I love my costumes and look but realized how they are allso similar so one of the reasons I was drawn to the one I originally linked because it is different from what my grandma and I make, but not too out of my box. I like the 2 front side slits, so I can show some leg if I want, and the freedom of movement. I had emailed to ask about the material. It is Chiffon which is my favourite, and she said the belt is about "medium" in firmness.

I agree with those saying there is concern it is too pale for me, but I am a lover of pale pastel tones.... guilty as charged... as I type this on a pale pink laptop lol.

Well a big hug to all of you lovelies for your input:) Feel free to keep it coming. YOu can play dress up all you want. I am honoured you ladies took the time to share your thoughts on it. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

GypsyStacey

have to say i like the first costume & think it would nice on you.

the butterfuly one i loved the skirt, but wasn't crazy about the bra but that's just me.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
So we need to find soft and drapey:D Ok I have been on the hunt, we have to clothe our Miss vega

Isis Exchange has costumes where the belt bit is actually attached to the skirt

Custom Made Belly Dance Costumes - Belly Dance Costumes Hip Scarves and belly Dancing accessories by Isis Exchange

I also went back to the Belly dance Store and came up with a list, Dahlal may have some of these as well. I like BD store because the pics are big and clear so you can get a good look at them.

Hope the links work, if not run your mouse over them and get the item number at the end and pop that into the search area. The lycra skirts can be deceiving, they look like they give fullness around the hips, but the girls modelling seem to be quite tiny around the hip & butt, so if anything caught your eye you would have to ask lots of question. I know the BD store will accept returns, so it is an option if you did buy something and it was totally hopeless.

The chiffon skirt ones are all built in belt styles I think, but would pay to ask, a couple actually state the 'belt area' is part of the skirt.

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery (Lycra)

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery ( drapes softly around hips- Lycra)

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery I love this one (Lycra skirt)

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery (Lycra)
(Metalic (Lycra)

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery ( pretty Lycra but skirt may not be full enough)

Interesting colours but could choose your own

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery (A bit more fitted around hips, but slightly gathered and gathers can soften and deceive the eye)

Added 2 of the pics, one chiffon skirt and belt attached & a pretty Lycra one. Have fun checking them out:D
~Mosaic

Shanazel

The blue one is very classy. That wrap around the cups style is hard to pull off design-wise (usually looks like a highly colored boa constrictor has embraced the boobs), but this looks nice. The upper arm bands and the shoulder detail balance the decoration on the bra.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I thought it was lovely and looked "miss vega-ish":lol: The blue is quite gorgeous as well. MV I do think you would look gorgeous in something like this. But I also think you would look lovely in lots of drapey costumes, but we have to feel comfortable in our choices - even if everyone says how fab a costumes looks on you, if you don't like the look personally it just won't be worn. Such costumes end up being wardobe deco's;)
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
This is one of the ones in my list above #9709 belt is a part of the skirt. This is a very sweet costume and has a nice butt shape back belt area, A bit like the stars costume you liked Miss Vega.
~Mosaic

GypsyStacey

both of the blue ones with the pics posted would look lovely on you MV i perfer the first darker blue one, but either would be excellent on you in my humble opinion.

nightdancer

MV,

Having seen you dance at Rakassah, I have to agree with your issue on the way the skirt and belt may lay. Also, you are such a powerhouse on stage, I dont know that such pale colors...what do I want to say...convey that?

Its already July. Can you hold off on buying a professional til Oct, til Rakassah again, and actually be able to try some of them on?

Also, you live in Canada, right? Perhaps drop Hannan Sultan an email. She moved from Canada to North Carolina, and I am sure she probably knows /the/ designers in Canada to get one custom-made. If you're going to spend that kind of money, it better be perfect.