I need some opinions....

maria_harlequin

Have you thought about custom ordering costumes? It can be a bit pricey but you'll get what you want and the fit will be a lot better than buying off the rack. I swear by Bella :D You'd love her chiffon skirts - they look a lot like the costumes you've been wearing. Pricey, but WORTH IT. It'll last you forever and it also has a high resale value. And it only takes around 4 - 6 weeks!

I'll also be ordering from Dahab Design - I saw their thread on Bhuz's Retail Swap Meet and the costumes look pretty good for their value. Their custom order prices are cheaper than buying off the rack as well. I sent them an email and they told me it takes about two weeks to get a costume made - that's pretty darn fast!

I wouldn't custom order from Dahal though - I heard from some people that a normal wait time could be six months to a year :( I've wanted to order some of the Sims but I can't wait that long!

Daimona

I tried on one of the fitted/stretchy skirts thta are in style right now and was really self conscious shimmying in it because of the up close view of "cheek" movement. Plus I am pretty sure I would end up tearing it eventually the way I dance lol....

:lol: Don't wory! A well made lycra skirt made of sturdy lycra (such as the Pharaonics' costumes) won't torn up when used (even if you are dancing wildly in it, MV). I've seen several lycra costumes getting a rather rough treatment on stage, and they were just as fine after the show.

That being said when it "ripples" or I forget, slip into caribbean posture and pop my butt I push belts up. The really sequined/beaded firm belts (ie Hanan) don't stay put. The hanan set I had, the belt was a perfect fit, but it would ride up while dancing:( All of my costumes my belts are soft and snuggly sit around my butt and so far so good they have stayed put:)

A wider lycra skirt or a skirt with a soft integrated belt could be rather nice on you as well.

Well a big hug to all of you lovelies for your input:) Feel free to keep it coming. YOu can play dress up all you want. I am honoured you ladies took the time to share your thoughts on it. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Hey! It is fun! And it is always interesting to hear fellow dancers viewpoints (even if they don't agree with you). I got help from a friend to decide on model and colors for my first professional costume (I tend to choose dark colors myself, and needed something bright for the stage).

In my experience it is too easy to focus on the color and then forget that is has to fit well as well. My tip would be, when looking for a new costume: Find a model that will fit and then choose the colors..

MV: Here are my opinions on the costumes mentioned so far:
  • Hoda: "Tidal Beauty" model would fit very nice to your hips, but colors available might be a bit pale.
  • Pharaonics: Butterfly costumes (aqua)/Butterfly fantasy (p. 3/12) model is no good for you and you've already described why yourself; The belt is too stiff.
  • Pharaonics: Bejeweled 2010/Elegant Radiance (p. 1/12) This is one I would recommend for you as well (if you like mixed fabric skirts with lycra on top and chiffon below).
  • Pharaonics: Ishtar/Trimmed in Treasure II (p. 1/12) - Belt is probably too stiff.
  • Pharaonics: Hot pink w/starsEclipse (wine) / Celestial Shimmer (p. 3/12) - If the belt is soft enough, why not this one?
  • Pharaonics: Spicy Serenade. (p. 7/12) - Belt is probably too stiff.
  • Pharaonics: Bouchra 2006/Elegance Entwined (p. 8/12) - I've got no problems imagening MV in this one.
  • Pharaonics: Star Costume/Dripping in Diamonds (p.9/12) - One of my favourites on this list.
  • Pharaonics: Rings 2006/Spiraling jewels (p. 9/12) - The belt part will be resting upon your beauties.
  • Raqia Hassan 8000 Pink - This skirt wouldn't do your beautiful hip and butt work justice as it seems to be too loose.
  • Mamdouh Salama 8342 Blue - This one could work well. The lycra part will hug your hips beautifully, and the hip wrap is a nice drape.
  • Sparkling Ice 9767 Purple black silver - :think: Somehow I can't see you in this costume unless there was an underskirt or something flowing in the slit.
  • Mumtaz: 9506 Red - This bold red costume will suit you well without sliding up when you dance.
  • Mumtaz 9039 Blue - Could be nice on you, even if the belt is stiff, because the back of it is rather large.
  • Mumtaz: 9709 Blue - If I had the body for this, I'd buy it immediately. It is a bit hard to say, but the belt looks a bit stiff.
  • Mumtaz: 9474 Red/pink - The back part of this skirt would be lovely on you, but the front hip is maybe a bit wide?
  • Mumtaz: 9694 Multicolors - I don't know if you like it, but the soft draperies around the hips would be lovely on you as well.
  • Mumtaz: 8862 Purple/pink - The belt part of this might be too wide for you in the front. Somehow I can't imagine you in this costume either.

And one more:

If you have the possibility to order custom made (I've ordered custom made Pharaonics costumes from Dahlal before, and they had a perfect fit when I got them), have you considered some of these?
Pharaonics: Elegant Radiance
Pharaonics: Enrapture (p. 2/12) (without the strange sleeve)
Pharaonics: Elegant Illusions (p. 3/12) (without the nude/body piece part)
Eman: Gilded Entrapment (p. 5/11)
Eman: Pride of Thebes (p. 5/11)
Hoda: Tidal Beauty II (p. 1/2)

(paranthesis refers to page at dahlal.com)

MissVega

Have you thought about custom ordering costumes? It can be a bit pricey but you'll get what you want and the fit will be a lot better than buying off the rack. I swear by Bella :D You'd love her chiffon skirts - they look a lot like the costumes you've been wearing. Pricey, but WORTH IT. It'll last you forever and it also has a high resale value. And it only takes around 4 - 6 weeks!

I'll also be ordering from Dahab Design - I saw their thread on Bhuz's Retail Swap Meet and the costumes look pretty good for their value. Their custom order prices are cheaper than buying off the rack as well. I sent them an email and they told me it takes about two weeks to get a costume made - that's pretty darn fast!

I wouldn't custom order from Dahal though - I heard from some people that a normal wait time could be six months to a year :( I've wanted to order some of the Sims but I can't wait that long!

Thanks for the input Maria:) I had signed up at Bella months ago but never got an email with a password and then sent them an email asking but never heard back so I assumed that she didn't ship/deal with Canada for some reason or another. I have seen many Bella's that are lovely! lol I got frequent costume envy from Didem videos on youtube lol.

Yah 6 months to a year is not an option LOL. Doesn't even take me that long to make mine.

maria_harlequin

Thanks for the input Maria:) I had signed up at Bella months ago but never got an email with a password and then sent them an email asking but never heard back so I assumed that she didn't ship/deal with Canada for some reason or another. I have seen many Bella's that are lovely! lol I got frequent costume envy from Didem videos on youtube lol.

Yah 6 months to a year is not an option LOL. Doesn't even take me that long to make mine.

I never got a password either - I just emailed her my measurements and what I wanted and voila...four weeks later, she emails me her payment information, I pay, and I get my costume in a few days. That's how most people do it...her website's almost pointless and from what I've heard, only has a few costumes on it from time to time. Easier to just email her with what you want and ask for a quote.

MissVega

:lol: Don't wory! A well made lycra skirt made of sturdy lycra (such as the Pharaonics' costumes) won't torn up when used (even if you are dancing wildly in it, MV). I've seen several lycra costumes getting a rather rough treatment on stage, and they were just as fine after the show.

A wider lycra skirt or a skirt with a soft integrated belt could be rather nice on you as well.

Hey! It is fun! And it is always interesting to hear fellow dancers viewpoints (even if they don't agree with you). I got help from a friend to decide on model and colors for my first professional costume (I tend to choose dark colors myself, and needed something bright for the stage).

In my experience it is too easy to focus on the color and then forget that is has to fit well as well. My tip would be, when looking for a new costume: Find a model that will fit and then choose the colors..

MV: Here are my opinions on the costumes mentioned so far:
  • Hoda: "Tidal Beauty" model would fit very nice to your hips, but colors available might be a bit pale.
  • Pharaonics: Butterfly costumes (aqua)/Butterfly fantasy (p. 3/12) model is no good for you and you've already described why yourself; The belt is too stiff.
  • Pharaonics: Bejeweled 2010/Elegant Radiance (p. 1/12) This is one I would recommend for you as well (if you like mixed fabric skirts with lycra on top and chiffon below).
  • Pharaonics: Ishtar/Trimmed in Treasure II (p. 1/12) - Belt is probably too stiff.
  • Pharaonics: Hot pink w/starsEclipse (wine) / Celestial Shimmer (p. 3/12) - If the belt is soft enough, why not this one?
  • Pharaonics: Spicy Serenade. (p. 7/12) - Belt is probably too stiff.
  • Pharaonics: Bouchra 2006/Elegance Entwined (p. 8/12) - I've got no problems imagening MV in this one.
  • Pharaonics: Star Costume/Dripping in Diamonds (p.9/12) - One of my favourites on this list.
  • Pharaonics: Rings 2006/Spiraling jewels (p. 9/12) - The belt part will be resting upon your beauties.
  • Raqia Hassan 8000 Pink - This skirt wouldn't do your beautiful hip and butt work justice as it seems to be too loose.
  • Mamdouh Salama 8342 Blue - This one could work well. The lycra part will hug your hips beautifully, and the hip wrap is a nice drape.
  • Sparkling Ice 9767 Purple black silver - :think: Somehow I can't see you in this costume unless there was an underskirt or something flowing in the slit.
  • Mumtaz: 9506 Red - This bold red costume will suit you well without sliding up when you dance.
  • Mumtaz 9039 Blue - Could be nice on you, even if the belt is stiff, because the back of it is rather large.
  • Mumtaz: 9709 Blue - If I had the body for this, I'd buy it immediately. It is a bit hard to say, but the belt looks a bit stiff.
  • Mumtaz: 9474 Red/pink - The back part of this skirt would be lovely on you, but the front hip is maybe a bit wide?
  • Mumtaz: 9694 Multicolors - I don't know if you like it, but the soft draperies around the hips would be lovely on you as well.
  • Mumtaz: 8862 Purple/pink - The belt part of this might be too wide for you in the front. Somehow I can't imagine you in this costume either.

And one more:

If you have the possibility to order custom made (I've ordered custom made Pharaonics costumes from Dahlal before, and they had a perfect fit when I got them), have you considered some of these?
Pharaonics: Elegant Radiance
Pharaonics: Enrapture (p. 2/12) (without the strange sleeve)
Pharaonics: Elegant Illusions (p. 3/12) (without the nude/body piece part)
Eman: Gilded Entrapment (p. 5/11)
Eman: Pride of Thebes (p. 5/11)
Hoda: Tidal Beauty II (p. 1/2)

(paranthesis refers to page at dahlal.com)

Wow! Will take me awhile to look through all of those again and remember which one is which lol. But it is fun and I love the input and different opinions from everyone:) Daimona that was without a doubt one of the most organized well layed out posts ever:shok: Makes it very easy to navigate through the costumes.

Sadly my car seems to be having an exhaust issue so I amy not be able to buy a costume afterall depending on how much it will cost to fix my car:( BOOOOOO TO GROWING UP :(

My mom is dead against me buying any costume since she thinks I should stick to making my own which doesn't help either. I love making mine its just that it takes soooooooo lloooooonnnnnggggg lol.

Maria, When I can afford a belly I will definately try your advice and just email her what I had in mind. There are so many DIdem costumes I love.

Some of my favourites

lol I'm all embed happy now since Mosaic explained how:) Thanks Mosaic:D

maria_harlequin

Sadly my car seems to be having an exhaust issue so I amy not be able to buy a costume afterall depending on how much it will cost to fix my car:( BOOOOOO TO GROWING UP :(

Maria, When I can afford a belly I will definately try your advice and just email her what I had in mind. There are so many DIdem costumes I love.

Some of my favourites

lol I'm all embed happy now since Mosaic explained how:) Thanks Mosaic:D

I feel ya MissVega...I think I might need a new car very soon (car broke down today and I'm sick of dealing with ot all the time) and I just ordered another costume yesterday! D'oh...at least it's not a Bella this time. No more Bellas for me until next year I think *sniffles*.

Didem's third costume is incredibly yummy...sigh...if only Bella would make me a new costume to wear every week! :lol: I wonder if they're only on loan for the show and sold at her shop for a very high price afterwards!

Daimona

Wow! Will take me awhile to look through all of those again and remember which one is which lol. But it is fun and I love the input and different opinions from everyone:) Daimona that was without a doubt one of the most organized well layed out posts ever:shok: Makes it very easy to navigate through the costumes.

Thank you! :D

Car problems suck, but exhaust issues doesn't have to be too expensive (compared to a lot of other financial challenges a car breakdown might cause). I'll cross my fingers. If you can't afford to buy one right now, think of it as a delay and look forward to the day you can order it... :)

My mom is dead against me buying any costume since she thinks I should stick to making my own which doesn't help either. I love making mine its just that it takes soooooooo lloooooonnnnnggggg lol.

Moms can be difficult, but are usually nice to have.. ;)
Mine didn't want me to perform when I started to, so I actually kept it a secret from her for a couple of years...

Last edited:

maria_harlequin

How does that work? Do you just email her with an idea for a design? And you get a quote?

Yep! I just email her an easy-to-read list with bullet points with what I want which includes pictures and colors (I think I emailed you a template?). You can ask her for a quote but I usually don't - not because I don't have a budget but I think that gives her more freedom to work with the design.

Amulya

Yes I got the template :). What is the average she asks? I know that's hard to say, but I'd like to know a bit what to expect.

maria_harlequin

Yes I got the template :). What is the average she asks? I know that's hard to say, but I'd like to know a bit what to expect.

On average if you don't ask for a quote, costumes will be around $800 - $1,000. A lot of it depends on how big you are and if you ask for cut-outs or not. Bra and belt sets will also be cheaper since on average, a Bella skirt is about $80.

Reen.Blom

No I can't really see you in that to be honest, it is pretty, but IMO not you.

I think these are more you ( or something similar), and you could order in any colour you wish:D

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery

Same as above different colours

Don't like the funny top thing on this one but it looks detachable.
~Mosaic
PS saved the first one to computer and resized.

Was there a pink butterfly one too? Did anyone save a pic? I cant see it now....

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Was there a pink butterfly one too? Did anyone save a pic? I cant see it now....

I have seen a pink butterfly one, but don't think a pic of one was posted, unless you were thinking of the red with pink underskirt or burgundy with pink.
~Mosaic
PS: the first page of threads there are thumbnail pics of the pinks

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

I have seen a pink butterfly one, but don't think a pic of one was posted, unless you were thinking of the red with pink underskirt or burgundy with pink.
~Mosaic
PS: the first page of threads there are thumbnail pics of the pinks

I was thinking of your second link that says 'same as above different colours' when I go to it it says 'Product ID 9395 is out of stock.' So no picture.... I THINK it was the same as aqua one but in pink but now I cant find a picture!:doh:

Now indeed was it red? LOL I was positive it was pink.... the pic attached is very small... pity....

Daimona

I was thinking of your second link that says 'same as above different colours' when I go to it it says 'Product ID 9395 is out of stock.' So no picture.... I THINK it was the same as aqua one but in pink but now I cant find a picture!:doh:

Now indeed was it red? LOL I was positive it was pink.... the pic attached is very small... pity....

The main color was red, but the secondary colors were pink and yellow.
Edit: Larger picture here.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Thank you Daimona, I got my wires crossed... LOL

The aqua one is different to me I guess... really not my colours but love how they go together