JOY April 2010...what did you do? what did you love? who was amazing??

Emma_Williams

Well I am on an absolute high still!! I came back yesterday from my first ever time at JOY and here is my review/diary of the weekend.

Friday Night - The Competition - I dont like competitions as a rule and I was unsure how the atmosphere might be and what the standard would be like but I have to say it was very very good. I was nicely suprised and the girls all seemed to bring something different and from what I heard there had not been any bit*hyness or diva attitudes. The ameatuer winner was heather haggis (was it heather??) who was a nice dancer and performed very well. My personal fave from this category was the girl who performed a turkish piece very well. The rising star category was fantastic and so many dancers really did give it their all. Helena won and she does indeed seem to be a very popular dancer. My favourite of the category was a beautiful dancer who did some fantastic veil work. Her name rigth now at work does escape me but she really did shine. My highlights of the night though were Moirai tribal who danced whilst the judges made their decision and Razia.

Saturday i was just so so excited about my workshops and I was also a little nervous about being taught by some of the best dancers around. My first workshop was with the wonderful Moirai girls who taught us the beautiful art of ATS fat chance style. Jesse and Phillipa really are two of the most beautiful and kick a$$ dancers i know and they are such fantastic teachers. They are true, pure ATS and they worked us hard but kept the atmosphere warm and friendly. We learned all the basics and how to travel with those complex ATS moves.
My next workshop was meant to be Yasminas totally egyptian. For this we had Tracey Gibbs covering and I have to say she was a fab replacement and we learnt what made moves totally Egyptian and going over the basics of this wonderful style. Everyone really let go and enjoyed themselves.
My next workshop was meant to be khaled accents to impress but instead we had the fabulous Shahla as a replacement. What a beautiful woman...so gorgeous...this workshop was all about the little accents we can put into our dance to really wow our audience. I found this workshop fantastic because the little accents and tricks were explained to us very easily and are so easy and subtle to do but they look fab when done and it has given me lots of little ideas for my performances to come.
My last workshop of the day was with the amazing and fab Sara Farouk. She was one hell of a woman...such a fab dancer and a good old down to earth Southener. She really made me feel relaxed but that woman does not hold back on telling you what your doing wrong but she puts it in a warm way. If you get it wrong so what she makes you feel so at ease. The workshop was called 'feel the difference'. We sat on chairs and listened to pieces of music from different eras and picked out what instruments were used for each and the style and then we stood up and danced to each style from each era. This was SOOOOOOOOO useful for me who is still trying to get to grips with what is what. I loved this workshop and fell in love with Sara's passion and style.

The Hafla - wow blown away.com!!! My highlights were Sabrina, Moirai, Nawarra whos energy and enthusiasm cheers me up and makes me feel all warm and my personal fave was (and I am not just biased) was our Mrs Caroline Afifi. Me and dreamtheif wanted to hold a banner saying 'she teaches us we know her' we really was proud...well done Mrs!

Sunday - Although I was extremely knackered i was still all fired up. I started my day with the wonderful moirai who taught us how to layer our isolations and moves. This i found challenging but again, the way the girls taught it seemed achievable.
Then I had the wonderful Candi Bell! I was meant to have Yasmina for postures and turns but i couldnt give a monkeys because Candi was the warmest most pleasent and fantastic lady ever. This workshop was all about weight shifting and turning without falling on your backside. Such a good workshop which i got so much out of.
Lastly i had arabic gestures which again was meant to be Yasmina but I got Mrs Afifi :) Caroline was such a fab substitue teacher. She explanied quite a few gestures to us and really emphasised that only do it if your 110% confident you know what the song is saying. We all had a laugh over bad examples of gesturing and then we danced and performed to each other using expression and dynamic and gestures. This helped me no end and i had a ball. One of my fave workshops. Then we boogied to shaabi and everyone had so much fun.

All in all it was amazing, cant wait till October to get some kazafy in yay

Razia

I had a great time too and it's the first time I've been back to JOY since 2007. Gotta be one of my favorite festivals :) Everyone was so nice and relaxed, especially considering how stressful the weekend could have been given that the international stars couldn't fly over. I had signed up for a few of Amir's workshops but instead, enjoyed a fabulous ''ballet-inspired'' traveling combos workshop with Artemisia (BE) and then taught one of Khaled's drum solo workshops on Sunday. I had a blast and can't wait until October :)

taheya

I had a fabulous time at JOY and thoroughly enjoyed all my workshops, the teachers who were covering for the international artists unable to come because of volcanic ash did a great job. Unfortunately I missed the competition on fri night and only got there in time to see Razia dance- Razia you really do shine on the stage, you have a lovely aura about you!
Caroline Afiffi was also my favourite performer on sat night, loved the cairo nightclub shaabi dance Caroline, so earthy and authentic! Sabrina did a great Khaleegi dance and Razia again was beautiful.
Caroline did a great arabic gestures workshop, really enjoyed it and took away some great pointers.
Loved the whole weekend, Joy is fantastic, cant wait til October- the wonderful Lulu Sabongi back also Khafazy who is brilliant. Special thanks to Mandy and Chris who work so hard to make it all happen.

karena

I only went to the competition, which I enjoyed. And the my faves were the winners (yes it was Heather) :D. I always love watching Helena.

(And I'm absolutely not biased or anything ;))

Sayuri

Joy

Emma it was myself...Sayuri. I performed the double veil routine. I got good if not mixed feed back, but I'm really glad you enjoyed it, thank you so much.
Tke care and see you at the next event xx ;-)

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

Well, what can I say??

Joy is a wonderful festival to participate in and just a fantastic place to teach.

I wont be at the next one as I am off to do my States workshops :dance:...but cant believe I wont get my JOY fix for a whole year!!! :(

Emma_Williams

aww Sayuri you was just simply fantastic i loved it!!! I need a veil lesson some day xx stunningly gorgeous with it too...i dunno some girls just get all the luck hehe

Sayuri

Emma hehe, As with all things in life everything is subjective, beauty as they say is in the eyes of the beholder. I loved watching Helena she's amazing, but I have to say it's lovely that you really enjoyed my work.....next time we're at an event together we'll have to have a good chin wag x x ;-)

karena

You've reminded me I was also going to mention, in the context of discussions we've had here about fusion etc, that of about 20 people in the competition, only 2 I think (correct me if I'm wrong) were to non-ME music. :)

Sayuri

Karena not sure you know, could be? I only saw half the first Comp and warmed up back stage for some of the second, so wasn't really focused on anything else but that really?

Caroline_afifi

You've reminded me I was also going to mention, in the context of discussions we've had here about fusion etc, that of about 20 people in the competition, only 2 I think (correct me if I'm wrong) were to non-ME music. :)

I didnt see the competition but that is music to my ears!

There were some in the Saturday night performance too, but it made the evening perfect with just the right amount of diversity and the standard was fantastic.

lizaj

Emma it was myself...Sayuri. I performed the double veil routine. I got good if not mixed feed back, but I'm really glad you enjoyed it, thank you so much.
Tke care and see you at the next event xx ;-)

You were wonderful. I was torn bewteen Caroline and yourself and though I plumped for her it was a close thing. That's competition for you. Amongst a group of four of us, we had three favourites and not one was the winner!

Caroline_afifi

There were alot of Caroline's present at JOY.. I think the one you mean is Belly dancing Caroline of Scotland? yes...no? :think:

bellyfester

my sister and I couldn't decide between 2 of you competitors so she voted for a lady whose name I cant remember :redface: and I plumped for you Sayuri!

that little quartet were one of my faves too.

Emma_Williams

everyone was so brave though i would never do a competition...i would hate everything about it. Your literally being judged for everything...your dance, music, technique, hair, make up.... I would hate to put myself so out there.

Oona

everyone was so brave though i would never do a competition...i would hate everything about it. Your literally being judged for everything...your dance, music, technique, hair, make up.... I would hate to put myself so out there.

I learned this the hard way, Emma. I got overcome by all of it Friday night, lost my light and my confidence and didn't do my best. The thing is I signed up for two competitions, the one at JOY for fun, as well as the Miss Bellydance UK this Saturday because I know Shona and some of the girls down there. After taking in a lot of good advice this weekend and having experienced what competition feels like, I'm still going down there Saturday to perform but that's all I'm doing...performing. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not competing with anyone anymore. I'm just being me and doing what I do. Competing in bellydance just doesn't feel right to me now.

To be honest, being a charity competition, I didn't expect the JOY one would feel as 'official' as it did to me, I thought it would be a bit more laid back & fun. My teacher said they combined the pro category (which wasn't anywhere near full so they dropped it) with the rising star category which seemed a bit odd. I'm glad everyone had a good time though. All of the dancers were very gracious and sweet but so very nervous. I refuse to allow myself to feel that nervous again myself. It was an important lesson for me to learn.

lizaj

For me the important thing about the competition was the opportunity it gave, particularly for younger dancers to set out their stall but for me as an audience member I was exceedingly entertained by the whole show. I work on one premise..did the dancer convince me she loved what she was doing..and hey I can forgive a lot if she does. But that's a tall order. the JoY comp. was a fine attempt to take that intense edge off competition but still attract capable and interesting dancers and it did. And thank to you , OOna and all the others for giving me an extra great night at JoY.
Competition ain't for me but I have changed from being totally anti to seeing the point for "Rising stars" in particular. I loved the variety within the oriental stable and enjoyed the "show".

artemisiadances

i missed the competition, as a jumper in london made sure we left wayyy to late and arrived only just in time for razia's performance.

i missed yasmina's, khaled and amir thaleb as i was booked up for workshops with all three, and i missed seeing them dance

BUT, i think mandy and chris did an amazing job making do, enlisting us all to teach, and making sure every single workshop went ahead with substitute teachers and a fab show.

i enjoyed teaching both my workshops, the planned and the unplanned one. this was my 3rd JOY and it is, as i've said every time one of the most fun, relaxed, relaxing, enjoyable festivals i know, both a a teacher and as a participant. so, i'm looking forward to more