Keeping safe in hot weather

Farasha Hanem

In my area of the United States, the weather has been in the triple digits for nearly a month now, so I wanted to share a link with everyone on how to stay safe in the heat. Although the tips are just common ordinary horse sense, sometimes we may forget to heed that common sense. Here's the link:

Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Excessive Heat

Everyone please have a safe and happy summer. <3

Darshiva

Be careful when choosing a drink to replace salts & minerals (electrolytes) to avoid the ones that contain caffeine as that can make things worse. A simple & effective home-made electrolyte drink is 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp honey (manuka works well but a nice local floral honey will do nicely) in 600ml water. Dissolve the honey & salt in enough boiling water to cover (approx 20ml) top up with cold water & a small amount of crushed ice. Stir to mix thoroughly & drink once the ice is melted & mixed in well.

Farasha Hanem

Seriously. :confused: It's been so bad here that I came down with a migraine at work Thursday evening, and when I came back the next day, it had gotten worse. I was sent home after only one hour. Yesterday, the AC in our department stopped working altogether, and a coworker just a few years older than myself got sick from the heat, and was sent home. Another coworker my daughter's age ALSO got sick, but managed to stay.

The AC finally kicked on later that afternoon, but no cool air came out. Hope the situation has improved; I don't know if our department can take any more people being sent home. :confused:

Last edited: