Khaled Mahmoud - Khaleegy

Suheir

I *love* Khaled's khaleegy - it's a shame you can't see his tiny shoulder shimmies too clearly on this clip.

lizaj

I have that whole DVD..it's delight.
yes I am up for 2 of his workshops at JoY: arabesques and shimmies...we are very lucky to have this guy over here.:clap:

gisela

Super Moderator
Nice, thanks.
In one month I'm having a Cairo Balady workshop with him. Looking forward to it!!!

Razia

oh wow, thanks for posting this, it's fabulous! I'm taking his khaleeji workshop at JOY and I'm really glad I signed up for it!

Mark_Balahadia

They are quite incredible - I can't begin to imagine how he does them, it's like he has an electric current running through him! :D

Actually, those are your typical Khaleeji style shimmies. It's one of those moves that's easier for a man to do than a women. It's generated differently than your typical shoulder shimmies. I figured out how to do them myself by watching Khaleeji men dance at parties :cool:

Maria_Aya

First of all Khaled is just amazing !!! teacher personality and I cry when I see him dancing baladi !!!
Can a share a personal experience from 2 weeks ago?

I'm at Cairo and we decide to got to a night club, and we end at "Sun City" (bad choice but for other reasons lol)
Now the place is what in Egypt call Cabaret !
We went 5 greek women and 1 greek man, to see how is it.
The band changed 5 times !!! a total of 100 musicians in a night !!! where i'm happy in Greece to have just ONE tabla player lol
We felt like landing in a MAFIA place, tables with Lebanese dark style people, looking over their black sun glasses (at 3 am lol) and many many many Saudi's!!
Some tables full of women only (arab girls), that were endering fully covered in Gelebia's and Hijab and at the toilet geting them off and whearing the most ... lets keep it sexy... outfits I've ever seen, Madonna and Britney would be shy to wear them.
Ofcourse the girls had "work" to do there, and show they goods so had to be that way. We voted the winner that was a girl wearing a seethrou shirt WITHOUT BRA !!!! and the most micro mini skirt i've ever seen (and NO underwear from what we all saw, after she did a big hip circle with her butt almost to my face (as the beside table of us was Saudi's, she was showing to them...)
So anyway, in all this mess suddently from a back side table, stand's 2 guys that looked dressed very modern and in a hippy sort of way.
Jeans 70's style, long hair to shoulder's, round sun glasses, and floral shirts !!!
And they start dancing Khalegee, and my jaw is on the grand, special with one of them Alan !!!
I was mesmerized, he was just amazing !!!
After they sat down, the place was working kind of the clients asking for songs and paying for them, so mostly it was khalegee and lebanese songs, at one point i listen the start of Wahasteny, so i stood up and danced (between all the sharmuta's lol) but I couldnt help it.
Anyway, after a while again these guys stand up and dance, and I just cant help it after and go by my self to their table, to congratulate them (a thing not happening in Egypt a woman to do this)
Turned out that they were both part of Saudi Royal family (I guess not close ones) and speaking english, they had seen me dancing also and liked my style, and they felt very happy from me telling them that I loved their dance.
So I do the magic trick (before they say me the Saudi Royal thing) and ask them for lessons !!! and if they are teachers (this trick always work with arab's women or men, they will show you after everything he he)
They went red and soooo happy, both said that they cant teach but let's dance !!! I spend 3 hours on stage with them dancing !!! and objserving and learning and having real fun. And wierd all the night was thinking Mark and Aisha !!! just wanted them to be there and have fun all together !!!
Ok that was the story !!!

Kisses
Maria Aya :)

Suheir

Maria, great story! Wow, 100 musicians in one night?!

I've been to a few concerts of Egyptian and Lebanese performers in London and the men in the audience just *love* to show off - to each other, not to impress the women! :lol: