Let's talk about body stockings

Jane

I need one and I know nothing about them.

What brands/fabrics/styles work well? How do they stay up? Are colored ones better looking than nude? What about the glitter or patterned ones?

I have a long torso so should I get a size up? I also have a butt that eats underwear (wedgie prone) are boy shorts better for that?

Thanks in advance ;)

Shanazel

I have two from Sugar Petals that I have been using for years. They were a tad pricey but they've lasted for years and I have not been gentle with them. I buy a powernet sleeveless style # three that goes under the bust. They are somewhat boy-shorted in the legs, but still creep up a bit. I'm not long-waisted but I am rounder than the average bear and take up quite a bit of slack that way.

Sugar Petals Dance Accessories Custom Body Stockings

Jane

Thank you! I've looked at the Sugar Petals ones online and I really didn't know where to start. Glad to have an endorsement :)

Maybe I should have posted this thread in Costumes? Mods please move if appropriate.

Ariadne

I've heard good things about Sugar Petals.
I've also heard good things about Designs by Janie and Flamenco Diva Designs. Both have snaps if that is important to you but I understand that some people prefer not to deal with them. I think which company people buy from usually come down to that. If they don't want snaps they prefer Sugar Petals and if they do want snaps they usually buy Janie's.

Shanazel

Janie doesn't offer heavy powernet bodystockings, which I prefer. I do like the idea of snaps, though, since I tend to wear heavily layered costumes.

Ariadne

Sorry, I forgot that difference too. If you want the Power Net you need to get it from Sugar Petals, neither of the others offer it.

I think I heard once of someone putting snaps into a bodysuit from Sugar Petals themselves though if you're interested Shanazel.

Jane

Does the power-net breath? Is it hot?

Snaps I don't care about, I'm okay with pulling it to the side if nature calls. Overshare ;)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I like the sugar petals ones because they are power net and I have tan, black, purple & red. I have also put snaps in myself. The colours I wear with matching costumes gives a 'dress' look. I need to get a green one. A friend of mine wears tan or it might be nude as she is fair skinned.

I have style 1 & 3 and chose size B but had to take them in slightly along the torso as they were a bit big. the hip is OK.

As Shan said they wear well.

I did have a non power net one from ebay, but didn't like it, so gave it away.
~Mosaic

Jane

Thanks ladies!

I'm still wondering how they stay up. Magic? Pure willpower? :think:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thanks ladies!

I'm still wondering how they stay up. Magic? Pure willpower? :think:

I use the small hooks,
the hook is sewn onto the bra and the top of the bodysuit just hooks over them, some dancers sew the eye onto the bodysuit, I'm too lazy to sew the eyes on:D. you can also have clear bra straps and hide those under your BD bra.
~Mosaic

Shanazel

The ones I bought go over my shoulders and under my boobs, but would show, of course, under a regular dance bra. A teacher who I haven't seen here in a long long time, said she like to wear them to hide some skin problems with her back. I don't find them hot at all. Seems to me the lightest color from Sugar Petals is very light. I am fair skinned and bought the tan. Be sure to match your arms and not your tummy.

Jane

Thanks goddessyasaman, those look really nice! Phooey, they don't carry my size. I'm sure other members will be happy to know about the store though :)

shiradotnet

One caution about body stockings - they are slippier than normal skin.

So, if you're one of those people who likes to balance a sword on your hip as part of your show, you'll find that it's more likely to slip off balance when you're wearing a body stocking than it is if you just have bare skin.

Also, your belt is more likely to slip out of position if you're wearing a body stocking, for the same reason. It might wander up, wander down, or wander sideways off center.

So, if you decide to use a body stocking, be sure to practice in it quite a bit before performing in public to see how it behaves while dancing. That way you can anticipate this stuff and figure out ways to prevent the usual problems.

Last edited:

Jane

Good points Shira.

I hardly ever do sword stuff anymore, I'm working toward becoming more Egyptian, so I'm okay with no sword on my midsection.

How do you keep belts or skirts from shifting over the stocking? Velcro dot or something? I assume a pin would tear a hole...

Shanazel

Those are good points. I've been dealing with bodystockings so long that I forget about the adjustments one has to make.

I don't have a lot of trouble with my skirts shifting, but when I have a recalcitrant skirt a little bit of spray fabric glue misted on the body stocking at hip band level takes cares of it. IN a pinch, even spraying the area with water will do (don't get the water on fabric that waterspots- put it on before you get completely dressed.

Can't speak for using a sword, but I'd think a little swish of the same stuff might help that problem, too, though perhaps that is considered cheating? :think: Frankly, I'd have to use superglue to get a sword to balance on me- not a talent I was ever able to perfect.

HA! Can you imagine doing this amazing balancing routine, only to straighten up and have the sword still clinging to your mid-section?

Jane

HA! Can you imagine doing this amazing balancing routine, only to straighten up and have the sword still clinging to your mid-section?

Look intense, wave you hand around the sword in mystical gestures, exclaim in gibberish.

Next showcase everyone will be doing it :dance:

Farasha Hanem

Those are good points. I've been dealing with bodystockings so long that I forget about the adjustments one has to make.

I don't have a lot of trouble with my skirts shifting, but when I have a recalcitrant skirt a little bit of spray fabric glue misted on the body stocking at hip band level takes cares of it. IN a pinch, even spraying the area with water will do (don't get the water on fabric that waterspots- put it on before you get completely dressed.

Can't speak for using a sword, but I'd think a little swish of the same stuff might help that problem, too, though perhaps that is considered cheating? :think: Frankly, I'd have to use superglue to get a sword to balance on me- not a talent I was ever able to perfect.

:lol::lol::lol:

Slightly off-topic, but I once tried balancing a butterknife on my head. Didn't work, so I cheated and used a hair clippie. xD

Hijack over! :D

Ariadne

but when I have a recalcitrant skirt a little bit of spray fabric glue misted on the body stocking at hip band level takes cares of it.

Ohhh! Thanks for the tip! Does the glue wash out though or does your body stocking stay sticky?

Shanazel

Depends on the glue. I like one used for basting quilts together. The sticky disappears after a while and residue left washes out. I'd tell you the name of it, but naturally, it is not where it is supposed to be. :rolleyes: Can't be my fault- it must've up and walked out of my studio.